• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Moore & McCoulsky

Carey 6

Full Back
Hi, Bristol City fan here.

Intrigued to know how our two loanees currently with you are getting on.

I notice McCoulsky hasn’t been playing much, and when he does it’s usually only for the last couple of minutes. Is this because he’s not up to the standard or just down to form of other strikers in your side?

I’ve also noticed Taylor Moore getting plaudits on twitter pretty often, we expected big things from him, he cost us about 1.5 million & was England U20 captain at the time I believe. Cheltenham used him mainly as a right back but I never felt he was good enough going forward when I seen him play there previously. Noticed he played there vs Portsmouth for you on the weekend. How did he do & is he better suited to CB or RB do you think?

I believe Moore is ooc in the summer so be interesting to see what happens with him.

Moore is brilliant, really like him! Feel like we're dragging him down a bit in terms that we are shocking at the moment.

McCoulsky is very light weight and the fact that he's barely started a game considering our front players are appalling says it all really. When he does play he just never seems to do anything to note. Saw him have one good game against Brentford at the beginning of the season but not seem anything good from him since. Poor loaning signing for me.

McCoulsky has not been well and our strikers are most deadly, so he's not had much playing time. We want to keep him so bad. No doubt I have shot myself in the foot again, and you will take him back. Me and my big mouth.
Taylor Moore is absolute rubbish. We had to try him out as left back because he's not a centre back. We may try him out as a winger this weekend. You can have him back. If you want to get rid on a free, we will take a chance on him and try and make him into a player.

Moore looks OK. I'd need to see a bit more of him to be 100% convinced. I think he'll mainly play at CB for us, as we have two RB's. That said, he played RB on Saturday for the first 45 mins.

McCoulsky I personally don't rate at all. Way too lightweight and doesn't have a goalscorer's instinct. Looks a bit over coached to the point where his natural ability is hard to spot. Doesn't seem to be an intelligent footballer. I'm not surprised he has mainly been loaned out to average non-league sides before us.

Last edited:
Moore is rubbish, so I would let us have him on a free :Winking2:

In all seriousness, I like the look of him and though we played him at RB on Saturday (and a couple of other games) he's better at CB.

As for McC, has scored a couple of goals, but his work rate and strength are both poor, hence why he hasn't played much. Personally not good enough for League One (and definitely not Championship) so I would rather bin him and bring someone else in.

Hi, Bristol City fan here.

Intrigued to know how our two loanees currently with you are getting on.

I notice McCoulsky hasn’t been playing much, and when he does it’s usually only for the last couple of minutes. Is this because he’s not up to the standard or just down to form of other strikers in your side?

I’ve also noticed Taylor Moore getting plaudits on twitter pretty often, we expected big things from him, he cost us about 1.5 million & was England U20 captain at the time I believe. Cheltenham used him mainly as a right back but I never felt he was good enough going forward when I seen him play there previously. Noticed he played there vs Portsmouth for you on the weekend. How did he do & is he better suited to CB or RB do you think?

I believe Moore is ooc in the summer so be interesting to see what happens with him.

I like Moore but he looks a 'tweener - one of those players who isn't good enough in the air to play centre-half but not good enough on the floor to play right-back.

Mc Coulsky not been getting much game time and bearing in mind we are desperate for a striker. Imo he has very little movement and gets knocked off the ball very easily. He does however have a good shot on him but doesn't seem to get into position to use it. I think you will be getting him back in January.

Taylor Moore is ok ish. ?

I'd say Moore is our most important centre back, hoping you don't recall him as we could be in trouble if you do! I'd definitely take him without any hesitation if you let him go.

McCoulsky is just too lightweight to cut it at the moment, he has some good qualities but he's not ready. It wouldn't surprise me if he's a half decent player in a couple of years but it also wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in non-league. From what I've seen I don't think we are going to get anything from him this season

Moore will make it,McC needs to bulk out...much to lightweight and easily dealt with by experienced pros at this level also his work rate at times is lacking...however at his age he could still come good if he applies himself and plays with the right team around him

McCoulsky I personally don't rate at all. Way too lightweight and doesn't have a goalscorer's instinct. Looks a bit over coached to the point where his natural ability is hard to spot. Doesn't seem to be an intelligent footballer. I'm not surprised he has mainly been loaned out to average non-league sides before us.

Thanks for the replies so far, I've not seen McCoulsky play too much, but the few times I did see him, and from his highlights at Newport, he always seemed to pop up in the right place so that comment about his lack of goalscorer's instinct surprised me. I think a few Newport fans also mentioned that perhaps it was the rest of his game that was lacking, and it seems like you've found the same. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back in January either then.

Glad to see Moore is doing well though. He did well at Bury in your league previously so I wasn't happy when we loaned him out to Gary Johnson/Cheltenham in League 2. I'd be disappointed if we let a 21 year old with his potential go this summer. I certainly don't think he'd struggle to get a League 1 team to sign him up on a free.

Thanks for the replies so far, I've not seen McCoulsky play too much, but the few times I did see him, and from his highlights at Newport, he always seemed to pop up in the right place so that comment about his lack of goalscorer's instinct surprised me. I think a few Newport fans also mentioned that perhaps it was the rest of his game that was lacking, and it seems like you've found the same. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back in January either then.

I'm thinking along the lines that he doesn't seem to get in where it hurts, between centre-halves and on the end of things. Seems happy to hang back a bit and see if anything drops for him.

I always prefer to see forwards who anticipate and sniff a chance, rather than hope it might fall for them.

You'll know more about Bristol City legends than me, but a few spring to mind who had that about their game. He just hasn't got it.

Moore is a good/very good player with bags of potential and it only remains to be seen how much of the potential he fulfills.
McCoulsky is an enigma. Clearly someone has seen something in him but for one reason or another he is hiding his light under a bloody big bushel.
on the evidence I don't rate him but, and it's an important but, numerous strikers come to Roots Hall and appear to be crud and then move on to do well elsewhere. On McC the jury is out and the judge is readying his black cap.

McCoulsky made a massive impact on his first appearance in the Checkatrade, scoring two goals. Unfortunately, he's been unable to replicate that appearance since. I wouldn't say that's necessarily his fault, but he is clearly still learning and does need to be stronger.

Moore is a great asset for us at the moment, young, keen and able to play on either side. He won Player of the Month on both the club and the Shrimpers Trust's vote for October. Currently one of the first names on the team sheet for us!

McCoulsky is at the wrong club at the moment because of injuries. We have a similar player in Theo, both would be much better if they played off of a big number 9. Both rely on pace and can read an off-side quite well. We don't have anyone up top who can win a flick on and we don't have anyone in mid-field who can pass a decent ball forward let alone clip a 30/40 yard ball over the top for the likes of McC or Theo.

They have their limits but have been unfairly criticized because they should never be playing with their backs to goal and its not their fault that they have to. For us this January the top of our shopping list is a number 9, as ours is injured for the season. So the (part) wages of McCoulsky will have to go.

Moore also has some pace , reads the game well and reacts sharpish. his problem is he is not the tallest and has been bullied in the air by a few big number 9's in this league. Fans are obsessed with defenders having pace and being able to pass the ball because they listen at to much PL punditry. In the lower leagues you just need to be organised, read the game or be strong.

He has also played at full back. So if he is going to play in the Championship for Bristol City he wont be a top marking type of CB or an old fashioned centre half. But from the first game I thought he could be a good sweeper. Sadly for us we have never quite sorted that out so far this season.

Don't want to sound ungrateful or like i'm slagging him to much. He has been really good for us. I'm just thinking how they would do in the Championship

Don't know about slagging. Seems like a perfectly fair assessment, sprinkled with the realism about our situation and the way it effects the performance of certain individuals.

Good point on Moore as a sweeper style, alongside a commanding and strong centre-half.

In theory, Turner, but he seems to be lacking something a bit of late. I'm wondering if he is fully fit.

Good point on Moore as a sweeper style, alongside a commanding and strong centre-half.

In theory, Turner, but he seems to be lacking something a bit of late. I'm wondering if he is fully fit.
Think we just need Lennon fit, then we'll see Moore taking the covering role, whilst Lennon attacks the ball.

If you look at Crawleys second goal (well both actually) you can see what I mean by not having one guy attacking and one covering/sweeping. Yes Turner was not playing due to his ban but the basics were not being done between the two CB's regardless of the style of play that suits either of them.

This is where the unfairly maligned Ferdy is being missed.

Whoever he played alongside knew exactly from him how a centre-back pairing should work. It can't be a coincidence that Thommo, Kyps and Turner all looked far better players alongside him. Quality player and a tremendous reader of the game, like his brother.

His youth?

I think he looks half a yard down in pace from last year, which wasn't quick in the first place. He's not jumping as well either.

He's 35 and with several bad injuries under his belt. He played 26 matches last season (going off injured in the first half in at least 2), which was his most since he played 33 in 2014/15. Even then he started and finished the season on the the injury list.

This season he's played 21 matches (including coming off injured after the first half Saturday).

I think Chris Powell is overdoing the resting of players but Turner is one who definitely doesn't have the legs to play every match.

Back