• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Moore & McCoulsky

Jeez, he was lacking his "youth" last season and since when has age got to do with being able to jump up in the air and head the ball?

Sure, he is short of pace, hence the suggestion that Moore could be his legs at the back.

I'm not sure his heart is in it this season, so much. When he was sent off against Blackpool he seemed almost relieved, to the extent that many people in the ground didn't even know he'd left the field of play.

Last edited:
Jeez, he was lacking his "youth" last season and since when has age got to do with being able to jump up in the air and head the ball?

Sure, he is short of pace, hence the suggestion that Moore could be his legs at the back.

I'm not sure his heart is in it this season, so much. When he was sent off against Blackpool he seemed almost relieved, to the extent that many people in the ground didn't even know he'd left the field of play.

More likely his legs have gone than his heart and he just knows he's struggling to get to balls he use to.

And age has a lot to do with your ability to jump up.

Age of high jumpers when they set world record
25, 22, 21, 22, 22, 23, 21, 21, 21, 19, 24, 19, 18, 23, 23, 20, 22

No 35 year olds there.

Of course there isn't. We're not talking about Dick Fosbury, here. Hardly any athletes can do at 35 what they could at 25.

We're talking about whether a footballer who is 35 can jump the same height as he could at the age of 34.

Of course there isn't. We're not talking about Dick Fosbury, here. Hardly any athletes can do at 35 what they could at 25.

We're talking about whether a footballer who is 35 can jump the same height as he could at the age of 34.

So if an athlete at 35 can't do what he did at 25 there has to be an element of decline so we would therefore expect decline from 34 to 35. If anything I would expect that to be a greater decline than at 25 to 26.

We also have to factor in injuries. Turner finished last season injured. It really doesn't seem that unfeasible that he would be slower and jumping less high than he did last year, which is what my eyes are telling me.

You're talking about Turner being 35 and high jumpers being in their 20's. A footballer doesn't lose the ability to jump say a foot higher over a six month period. Regardless of age.

He could be limited possibly by his injuries recently, sure. Maybe his hamstrings aren't as strong and the risk to jump higher and stretch is on his mind. Could be that.

That's nothing to do with age, though.

Last edited:
Your talking about Turner being 35 and high jumpers being in their 20's. A footballer doesn't lose the ability to jump say a foot higher over a six month period. Regardless of age.

He could be limited possibly by his injuries recently, sure. Maybe his hamstrings aren't as strong and the risk to jump higher and stretch is on his mind. Could be that.

That's nothing to do with age, though.

Of course it is to do with age.

Otherwise footballers would never retire. Instead they age and slow, suffer the cumulative effects of injury and become less and less athletic.

It happens at different speeds (Paul Furlong played until he was 40; Andy Ansah played his last professional game at 30) but it happens and Turner is at an age when many professional footballers are already retired.

Balls he might have got to last season he now gets beaten to. It's small margins but that's the difference between putting it out for a corner and putting it into your own net.

It's two different things, here.

If he is limited at the moment because of injuries not allowing him to stretch so much and cut out crosses or jump an extra six inches to head a cross away, then that's fair enough. That could happen to any player at any age, though. There's plenty of twenty somethings in the treatment rooms of clubs across the country.

However, If being six months older than last season is making a huge difference then I'm not sure I agree and in it's own right, would not stop a 35 year old being able to head a cross clear as he would have at 34. You wouldn't lose it that quickly.

It's two different things, here.

If he is limited at the moment because of injuries not allowing him to stretch so much and cut out crosses or jump an extra six inches to head a cross away, then that's fair enough. That could happen to any player at any age, though. There's plenty of twenty somethings in the treatment rooms of clubs across the country.

However, If being six months older than last season is making a huge difference then I'm not sure I agree and in it's own right, would not stop a 35 year old being able to head a cross clear as he would have at 34. You wouldn't lose it that quickly.

What if being six months older isn't allowing him to recover from injuries as well as before and he doesn't ever recover that lost bit of speed and spring?

I'd say it's at least twice as likely that he never returns to the form he was in in February, than he does. I'd say that it is 50:50 whether he retires at the end of the season and probably 80:20 that he's retired in 18 months.

So his slightly off colour performances of late are 100% to do with him being six months older than he was, er, six months ago?

So his slightly off colour performances of late are 100% to do with him being six months older than he was, er, six months ago?

NO ..... He has always moved slower than a slowly slow slowing down slow person.

Moore is Good. He isn't worth 1.5mil ... I reckon you would get about 250,00k for him (Give a guy called Ron a call in Southend, he would give you that).

Shawn is OK but he could do with going with a team in better shape and less injuries to neuter his skills because I am sure he can be a really good player.

You need to take McCoulsky back and let us trial Mo Eisa instead.

Don’t think Eisa gets a look in at the Robins? That said, not sure if he’s actually any good. Did score a fair few in Lge 2 though..

Mc Coulskey...No offence but not up to it!
Moore...Promising and has been a decent loan signing.

Loans are for the parent club to find out how they are progressing. McCoulskey clearly struggles to make an impact in league 1 whereas TMoore doesn't. Would be delighted if we could sign TMoore permanently however McCouskey can go back to BCity,so we can get someone suited to play as league 1 level

Back