• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tice_18

First XI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/20451602

As of next year, this car will be legal for 16 year olds to drive on the road with a moped license.

Personally I think its a stupid idea:

1) Who in their right mind would pay £9,999 (plus insurance!) for a years use of something which isn't even a car?

2) Its downright dangerous. With a max speed of 28mph, unlike Mopeds, it looks like a normal car, so other road users will expect it to have the performance of a normal car, when pulling out of junctions etc. They're going to lack the power to pull out of T junctions and get up to speed, (along with the fact that they can't get up to speed!!).

3) Its going to lead to serious road rage, imagine getting stuck behind that for a 10 mile stretch of single carriage A road? At least with a moped, they take up about as much room on a carriage as a push cycle so are relatively easy to overtake and its not so risky. With this, people will get frustrated and take more risks to try and get past.

4) A Moped license is not sufficient for letting someone loose on the road with a machine which, although it can only do 28mph, it'll weigh nearly a ton and that can still do serious damage.

you sure that's not an early april fools, if i got stuck behind some **** doing 20 odd mph then i think i would explode with road rage

We have them here in France and you need no permis to drive them,if caught drink driving and you then loose your licence you can still drive one of these puppys,very slow but they still get you there.

Talking about these on the radio this morning.

Cant see how they are any worse than a 2 wheel moped to be honest. Surely safer?

Agree though, who would pay £10k for something they will only drive 18 months till they pass their real test?

ONe question, can you take passengers ? Cant on a moped so that would be a concern, then again if you can get 3 passengers in one it would struggle to even move!

One of the most stupid ideas ever put before the powers that be. As the original poster points out they are going to be inherently dangerous for so many reasons. So many 17 to 20 year old's on the roads these days have such a complete lack of road usage understanding it's scary. Chuck into the mix even younger halfwits and it'll only get worse. I can just imagine it now. Truddling along on to the A130 at 70 and find all kinds of vehicles cutting into the outside lane because they've all of a sudden come across one of these idiotic things poodling along on the nearside.

Back