• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

More “top level” football nonsense- planned “super league”

Surely they'd just get bored of playing the same teams all the time?
Doesnt matter what the players think, its all about the foreign owners making more money. As an aside the PL owners are made up as follows-foreign owned 14, part foreign owned-3, uk owned 3, so the 14 foreign owners can presumably tell the PL how THEY they want to run things.

Doesnt matter what the players think, its all about the foreign owners making more money. As an aside the PL owners are made up as follows-foreign owned 14, part foreign owned-3, uk owned 3, so the 14 foreign owners can presumably tell the PL how THEY they want to run things.

That is assuming "foreign owners" always vote together. With their backgrounds, American, Russian and Arabic, I would guess that don't always see eye to eye.

That is assuming "foreign owners" always vote together. With their backgrounds, American, Russian and Arabic, I would guess that don't always see eye to eye.

In this case though their backgrounds is primarily about making money rather than nationalism.

This could all be stopped if players refused to play, but they willnot
Annoys me when Neville, Lineker, Dublin etc all ex players moan how wrong , but if still playing would they refuse to play, answer is No !!!
Bet Spammers are furious not being asked, that’s one positive point out of this

Why would owners vote together just because they are foreign? That doesn't make any sense. Spurs are involved in this scheme and they're owned by Daniel Levy (born in Essex) and Joe Lewis (born in London), they aren't going to have second thoughts just because the other English owners don't want it. Owners are going to vote for what benefits them, it doesn't matter what nationality they are.

It was always going to happen. Football sold its soul years ago with the creation of the EPL and the (in my view), diminishing of the status of the European Cup by replacing it with the completely mis-named Champions League. Not quite a competition with selected invitations to enter it, but not far off it in my opinion.
Yes, England, Italy and Spain, even your fourth placed side in the domestic league can enter the Champions League because you have got BIG NAMED CLUBS. Ideally they would like to kick out the Albanian champions and have the eighth placed Italian side if they happened to be Roma. The authorities UEFA (internationally) and the EPL orchestrated by SKY (domestically), have given these clubs a massively inflated opinion of themselves and the inevitable has happened.
Me? I shall just take great satisfaction in seeing how this will uncomfortably unfold for the many egotists and hypocrites in what used to be a simple game with a highly efficient and effective structure, where every game in every competition was given full respect.

What we are seeing is the beginning of the end game in the battle between football, (as we know it) and finances. Sadly, finance will win and the main losers will be fans. I mean fans in this country. A European Super league will inevitably happen because it makes too much financial sense not to.

We have already lost the FA cup as a meaningful competition. The cup final was once the centre piece of the season.

We are about to have the World Cup finals staged in Qatar. Can there be any footballing reason for this?

We have seen first at hand with our own small club how the pursuit of financial dreams will always override the wishes of fans.

The owners of these big six clubs will have seen during the pandemic that football is still possible and big money can still be made without the inconvenience of having fans in stadiums.

My prediction for the future is that football, as we know and love it, will cease to exist. If there is any football at all, it will be as a non contact sport played by girls and will be about as relevant to our lives as rounders. (Moderators please note, there is no intent to be sexist here).

I'm afraid that I'm just a moaning old git and I don't have any answers to all of this

That's an ironic banner because football was most certainly not created by the poor.

Must be professional ruby you're thinking of.Professional football was mostly created by "do gooders",church wardens etc who created local,community based, football teams so that ordinary, young working class people would have a heathly way to occupy their time.

I have been an Arsenal fan more or less since birth. I had a Southend season ticket for a few years when my son wanted to go and watch - glory days.
We all know and accept money is an important part of the game but this ESL malarky is a step too far. Let them get on with it, kick them out. I don't know who will have the TV rights but I wont be subscribing. I can't support another Premier league club so I will spend my money at Southend and become a Southend supporter.
If other English fans think the same, this could be a boost for lower league English football. Liverpool fans support Tranmere, United fans support Stockport, etc etc..
Hopefully, and its a big hope, some of the top players might not like being banned from playing for their country and boycott the ESL and stick with the English leagues.

I have been an Arsenal fan more or less since birth. I had a Southend season ticket for a few years when my son wanted to go and watch - glory days.
We all know and accept money is an important part of the game but this ESL malarky is a step too far. Let them get on with it, kick them out. I don't know who will have the TV rights but I wont be subscribing. I can't support another Premier league club so I will spend my money at Southend and become a Southend supporter.
If other English fans think the same, this could be a boost for lower league English football. Liverpool fans support Tranmere, United fans support Stockport, etc etc..
Hopefully, and its a big hope, some of the top players might not like being banned from playing for their country and boycott the ESL and stick with the English leagues.

That's what needs to happen, isn't it. If players won't play in it, managers won't manage in it, fans won't attend the games and fans won't watch it on TV...it will fail. But money talks, and they know fans are extremely loyal to the clubs.

Loyalty can only go so far. Kroenke as an owner of Arsenal isn't bothered about the team, probably doesn't even know who the next game is against. Look what he did with the Rams.
Hopefully this might be the dawn of a new era, fans support their local team - would have been better if Southend had stayed up though.

Dan Roan (BBC News' Sports Editor) has just tweeted that Chelsea are planning to request withdrawal from the Super League.

Back