• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Liam AAS

Apprentice kit man⭐
Based on the published accounts for last season (where we are now I've no idea) I think it's time that we used the little power we have as fans to help the club.

The only real power we have as fans in money, we can withold it and boycott the club (as Man Utd fans should be doing and FC United fans have done) or we can find ways to provide the club with more cash without frivolous club shop purchases.

I propose an unwritten agreement with the club:

The fans use all their power to bring new fans to the club. Invite your friends especially if they've got a London club who they can't afford to see. Got family or old friends visiting for the weekend? make a day of it.. bring the kids. Essentially get anyone through the gate that you can. Bring your girlfriend, tell her you don't spend enough time together.

A lot of people are going to be put off by the £21 ticket price for adults. And who can blame them, this is fourth tier football after all. So the Club's part in this is to create some new tickets to encourage more people in.

#1. 2 (non-season ticket adults) for £30: club loses on £6 per person but the lasting legacy and long-term benefits of having a mate/girlfriend to go to the football with (return visits eventually turning to season tickets) outweigh this short term financial loss. It's obvious that the one thing this club needs to do is secure it's long term financial future;

#2. Family tickets to include 1 adult and 2 kids at no extra cost: because kids always want a drink and a souvenir;

#3. Recommend a friend scheme (or sorts): Friend of a season ticket holder? get 30% of the price of a standard adult ticket. From a business point of view this seems like a higher number than it actually is and from a fan's point of view it's another voice singing songs and cheering the team (if you don't believe that this works then check out Mo Farah's somewhere on the internet).

Our average attendance last season was 5,712 If we can get more bums on seats, those bums turn into fans, fans turn into season ticket holders, season ticket holders inject the club with cash every summer.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on this? I think that if we were to really encourage friends and family to the football everyone would benefit, but the club have to play their part too. Sorry for the long post, but having just seen the accounts submissions I'm in a venting mood!

Some good points, I reckon most of us do our best to drag people along as it is, I have done my fair share of bringing along mates over the years, I can't seem to make any of them stick for more than half a season....one mate has started coming regularly, but now I have a season ticket, how can I get him a ticket near myself?

The club could probably do with looking into more offers, maybe some of the ones you have suggested such as the family one....no negatives that I can think of?

Some cracking ideas there LB - my only gripe is you using FC United as an example of "fans". They are not real fans. True fans would not turn their backs on their club because they didn't like the owners....thick and thin and all that.

But back to your points...in the current climate the club need to be doing all they can to turn empty seats into occupied seats...and need to think outside the box to do so...and all the while we are not selling out on matchdays the above suggestions can only be good.

Some cracking ideas there LB - my only gripe is you using FC United as an example of "fans". They are not real fans. True fans would not turn their backs on their club because they didn't like the owners....thick and thin and all that.

But back to your points...in the current climate the club need to be doing all they can to turn empty seats into occupied seats...and need to think outside the box to do so...and all the while we are not selling out on matchdays the above suggestions can only be good.

Never the less any manure fan who moves over to FC untied will get a pint on me :thumbsup:

Based on the published accounts for last season (where we are now I've no idea) I think it's time that we used the little power we have as fans to help the club.

The only real power we have as fans in money, we can withold it and boycott the club (as Man Utd fans should be doing and FC United fans have done) or we can find ways to provide the club with more cash without frivolous club shop purchases.

I propose an unwritten agreement with the club:

The fans use all their power to bring new fans to the club. Invite your friends especially if they've got a London club who they can't afford to see. Got family or old friends visiting for the weekend? make a day of it.. bring the kids. Essentially get anyone through the gate that you can. Bring your girlfriend, tell her you don't spend enough time together.

A lot of people are going to be put off by the £21 ticket price for adults. And who can blame them, this is fourth tier football after all. So the Club's part in this is to create some new tickets to encourage more people in.

#1. 2 (non-season ticket adults) for £30: club loses on £6 per person but the lasting legacy and long-term benefits of having a mate/girlfriend to go to the football with (return visits eventually turning to season tickets) outweigh this short term financial loss. It's obvious that the one thing this club needs to do is secure it's long term financial future;

#2. Family tickets to include 1 adult and 2 kids at no extra cost: because kids always want a drink and a souvenir;

#3. Recommend a friend scheme (or sorts): Friend of a season ticket holder? get 30% of the price of a standard adult ticket. From a business point of view this seems like a higher number than it actually is and from a fan's point of view it's another voice singing songs and cheering the team (if you don't believe that this works then check out Mo Farah's somewhere on the internet).

Our average attendance last season was 5,712 If we can get more bums on seats, those bums turn into fans, fans turn into season ticket holders, season ticket holders inject the club with cash every summer.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on this? I think that if we were to really encourage friends and family to the football everyone would benefit, but the club have to play their part too. Sorry for the long post, but having just seen the accounts submissions I'm in a venting mood!

Always keen for incentives to get more along.

I would say that at present the incentives for families is good anyway. I take my daughter to the family enclosure an pay £20 or so for both of us. Im taking both kids on Satruday and only costing me £25.

Thats pretty good already.

Some good points, I reckon most of us do our best to drag people along as it is, I have done my fair share of bringing along mates over the years, I can't seem to make any of them stick for more than half a season....one mate has started coming regularly, but now I have a season ticket, how can I get him a ticket near myself?

The club could probably do with looking into more offers, maybe some of the ones you have suggested such as the family one....no negatives that I can think of?

I'll admit I hadn't really thought that one through, essentially you'd bring your mates and then go and sit in your separate areas of the stand for the actual football, not the sort of environment for a return visit.

What about open tickets? A season ticket merely guarantees you entry, and seating is first come first serve? You merely by a ticket for a block (or whole stand, or Family zone etc) and turn up early to get the good seats. Probably plenty of long-term season ticket holders unhappy about giving up their seats, but I'd hate to see the club stand still on the basis of upsetting a few regulars.

I'll admit I hadn't really thought that one through, essentially you'd bring your mates and then go and sit in your separate areas of the stand for the actual football, not the sort of environment for a return visit.

What about open tickets? A season ticket merely guarantees you entry, and seating is first come first serve? You merely by a ticket for a block (or whole stand, or Family zone etc) and turn up early to get the good seats. Probably plenty of long-term season ticket holders unhappy about giving up their seats, but I'd hate to see the club stand still on the basis of upsetting a few regulars.
Open season ticket is definately a winner, but keeping allocated seats for those that want them, I've been plenty of times where I get a ticket near a mate with a season ticket and its effectively going to a match on your own and sharing a pint at half time (most of which is spent in a queue). Make it easy to go and people will go.

Don't think my wife would approve.

In a ground like Roots Hall where there are many things obstucting the view, if I buy a ticket in advance (i.e. a season ticket that is paid for during the previous season) I want to be able to guarantee a seat. (When seats were first put in the West Stand my dad and I spent an hour and a half sitting in different seats to check the view before we bought our season tickets. We've had the same seats since.) Also, I don't see it as a solution to the problem. If you want to take friends, you want to guarantee them that you will be able to sit with them. Open season tickets wouldn't guarantee that.

I think doing more promotions is the way forward, and will certainly encourage people to come and watch the football. The only thing I would add is that what ever incentive to club do chose to take up (if at all any) they need to ensure that the promotions do not aggravate the season card population. as offering deals through the season that work out cheaper than the price of a season ticket will get peoples backs up.

I think the club should be doing more to encourage the local community to come to the football, and a way they can do this is via the schools.

Southend should offer 50 or so tickets for each match day to local schools as complementary (not all at the same time but on a rotary basis). Each ticket is valid for one Adult and one Child and also offers a reduced rate if they purchase tickets for another game (within a set time).

This is a good idea for several reasons

- 1. The offer includes a discount rate which will encourage a further visit (meaning increased spend)
- 2. Children and Adults attending the match are all likely to purchase food
- 3. Children are going to want to visit again, as they have had good feel for the football.
- 4. Encourages Children to get involved with Sport
- 5. Provides a catalyst for the next generation of supporters
- 6. Increases the awareness and visibility of the club, increasing the local reputation which will drive increased local support)

Thoughts??

Open season ticket is definately a winner, but keeping allocated seats for those that want them, I've been plenty of times where I get a ticket near a mate with a season ticket and its effectively going to a match on your own and sharing a pint at half time (most of which is spent in a queue). Make it easy to go and people will go.

I really dont see this as a big issue , its not like we are sold out every week . V block is unallocated, North bank is unallocated , the club allows people to change their seats and I don't recall the East or South being totally sold out for more than a handfull of matches. Where exactly is the problem ?

Just make the season ticket transferable for the game in question when you want to take a mate?

I think doing more promotions is the way forward, and will certainly encourage people to come and watch the football. The only thing I would add is that what ever incentive to club do chose to take up (if at all any) they need to ensure that the promotions do not aggravate the season card population. as offering deals through the season that work out cheaper than the price of a season ticket will get peoples backs up.

I think the club should be doing more to encourage the local community to come to the football, and a way they can do this is via the schools.

Southend should offer 50 or so tickets for each match day to local schools as complementary (not all at the same time but on a rotary basis). Each ticket is valid for one Adult and one Child and also offers a reduced rate if they purchase tickets for another game (within a set time).

- 1. The offer includes a discount rate which will encourage a further visit (meaning increased spend)
- 3. Children are going to want to visit again, as they have had good feel for the football.
- 6. Increases the awareness and visibility of the club, increasing the local reputation which will drive increased local support)

Thoughts??

I agree, the club did somethign similar last year , but In my opinion screwed it up quite badly.

The idea was that they sold tickets to schools and junior football clubs for £3.00 (£1 child, £2 adult). Kids could use them on their own , but adults had to bring a child. Once you used your ticket you then got a voucher for another ticket for £10.00. 'hopefully' by this point the adult/child is hooked and will come back at full price.

The relality is that the club let thousands of the tickets go which allowed people to go to every league home match for the entire season at this price. They also (mostly) did not give out the £10.00 vouchers when the cheap tickets were used. The club did change the process at the end of the season.

I agree stuff like this is a great idea, if implemented correctly.

Peterborough had standing behind the goals; (and I know that has to go if the stay in championship) and I suggest take the seats out of South Lower and make it cheap; get people in and keep them coming back.
The schools stuff used to get loads of kids in, not big money immediately but get them early and sell them our shirts not premshite stuff.
Why not cut a deal for the unemployed, why not get some big local employers involved, KeyMed, RBS, etc and sort out the non executive catering; these days burgers/pies/coffee don't need to be crap - ask Jamie Oliver to do a programme on footie catering!

Thoughts??

Don't you work for the club ??

MAKE IT HAPPEN

Some great points in here. Think club needs to be innovative about getting fans in and take a longer term view. Well worth doing everything possible to get kids in (no real loss on letting kids in for free tbh if majority wouldn't usually attend) and give them a great experience (guided tours, meet the players every so often etc, not too difficult to give kids a memorable experience) and they may well grow up to become season ticket holders etc - this could be particularly effective for kids who don't come from football-loving families

The reality is we have a great community marketing scheme already compared to other clubs.
Secondly, as per League rules, we're only allowed a certain number of promotions per season

There's lots of things we could do, but most we've already tried. We have one of the biggest football club databases in the country. We tried mobile ticketing; we did kids for a quid before anyone else.

I think we should have a pay what you like match (pay after the game) - if we win, people are more likely to pay more. If we lose, we pay less, the club loses, but how cool would it be to do?

Back