• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It might just be me but is that a really badly written article? I know it's the guardian so you shouldn't expect too much but even so.

Sturrock, in brown suit and bearing a bottle not apparently of water

What they trying to say here in this badly worded nugget?

It might just be me but is that a really badly written article? I know it's the guardian so you shouldn't expect too much but even so.

I thought it was well written. What do you think is wrong with it?

Am I the only one who is fed up with match reports actually being reports on the press conference?

It falls away badly at the end, but most of it's okay.

I thought it reasonable as well. The "What doesn't appear to be water" comment was unnecessary though, could be fruit juice!

Well the stats aren't much better, apparently we had 2 shots on target and Oxford had 1, if that's the case I really don't get why Daniels and the Oxford goalie were diving about for all those saves; I mean if the shots weren't on target, why bother? :whistling:

It wasn't the content - I just didn't think it flowed very well as a written piece - maybe its just how I read it!

We were the lead story on The Times' League Two page today:

Sir Alex Ferguson’s reign as Manchester United manager began 25 years ago with a 2-0 defeat away to Oxford United, but the intervening years have rarely been kind to the club, who failed on this occasion to give the 763 fans who travelled to Southend United the victory their performance deserved.

Oxford had not only slipped out of the Football League by 2006 but were nineteenth in the Conference before Chris Wilder, the present manager, took over two years later. Had they won this game, however, they would have moved into an automatic promotion place. Instead, they remain clinging to the final play-off place.

Southend have also known headier days, as well as financial problems and soul-deadening relegation. They were a Championship side only four years ago and beat Manchester United in a Carling Cup tie in November 2006.

Now the club sit at the League Two summit, two points clear of Crawley Town, courtesy of a victory they knew had been fortunate. Oxford caught them out with a 3-4-3 formation and dominated the first 45 minutes.

Southend nevertheless led at half-time thanks to a header from Mark Phillips, the defender, from Ryan Hall’s free kick. Damian Batt headed Oxford level after the hour mark but Hall responded with a superbly struck winner from outside the penalty area. “Even though we did play well, we didn’t come away with what we wanted and we should have been better in both boxes,” Batt said. “We felt we were the better team throughout the game.”

Paul Sturrock, the Southend manager, said: “The first half was men against boys and to walk in at half-time 1-0 up, I was a wee bit shocked. I didn’t expect the system they turned up with. But we sorted it out at half-time and were a better side in the second half.”

The financial problems — now solved — meant Sturrock inherited a playing staff of four at the start of last season. “We were working with the youth team on the Thursday, shaping them to play Stockport in the first game, when we managed to pay off our debts and register all the players,” the Scot said.

Southend have also known headier days, as well as financial problems and soul-deadening relegation. They were a Championship side only four years ago and beat Manchester United in a Carling Cup tie in November 2006.

Sheesh, do they not check these articles? Since when is 2006 + 4, 2011?

The article is not suggesting 2006 + 4 = 2011. It's suggesting we were a Championship side four years ago and beat Manchester United in a Carling Cup tie in November 2006.

We were a championship side in 2006/07, but they seem to miss the obvious Fergie anniversary connection that it was actually 5 years ago today that we beat Man U.

We were the lead story on The Times' League Two page today:

The financial problems — now solved — meant Sturrock inherited a playing staff of four at the start of last season. “We were working with the youth team on the Thursday, shaping them to play Stockport in the first game, when we managed to pay off our debts and register all the players,” the Scot said.

These national guys know their stuff!

BTW we also had some coverage on 606 on Saturday - a Southend fan called Callum called in to lay all the blame for previous lack of media coverage on Jason Roberts. Also challenged Mark Chapman to name 3 Southend players - he got Harris and Ferdinand.

ps Roberts said his uncle is Dave Regis, something I wasn't aware of

These national guys know their stuff!

BTW we also had some coverage on 606 on Saturday - a Southend fan called Callum called in to lay all the blame for previous lack of media coverage on Jason Roberts. Also challenged Mark Chapman to name 3 Southend players - he got Harris and Ferdinand.

As the token football league call was it introduced David Mellor style as "and remember it's not all about the Premier$hite"?

Just being able to name two players is utterly disgraceful. Good on Callum for holding the presenter to account.

How much is Chapman getting paid to present 6-0-6?

Back