• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Morecambe FC 1-1 Southend Utd

I don't post on here very often any more. I am 71 years old, went to my first Southend match when I was 16 and have continued to support Southend from a distance since moving away from Essex, age and ill health prevented me from attending matches in person. I read threads entitled 'Post-Match Thread and Ratings' in oder to get the differing opinions of people who actually watched matches on how the team and individual members of the team played. I resent having to wade through pages of childish slanging matches, which is largely what this thread has turned into. Give it a rest, will you, or start a new thread entitled something like 'Slanging Match' so that I will know not to begin reading it. Thank you, OBL and a few others for staying on message.

Before the transfer window opened in January we had played 20 games and got 16 points from 4 wins and 4 draws.

Since the start of January when the transfer window opened, we have played another 20 games and got 20 more points 4 wins and 8 draws. So our improvement has delivered 4 more points from 20 games

With 6 games left we need a minimum of a further 3 wins just to get to 45 points.

Walsall need 2 points from 7 to play, Barrow 3 from 8 and Col U 4 from 6 and even then their goal differences are better. So we need a 4th win from 6.

5 of the 6 teams we have to play didn’t beat us in the first games.

What a fairy tale that would be! Which of our superheroes are going to step up to the plate?

Last edited:
Oxley 7
Elvis 7
Hobson 7
Cordner 7
Clifford 7
ANG 5
Demi 7
RHF 4
Ferguson 5
Dieng 7.5
Halford 7

Subs All 6

Tactics - More effective
Effort - Better
Set Pieces - Hopeless

Last edited:
It was a decent performance and result, at the time I thought it wasn’t enough. But, IF we beat Col U that leaves us 2 points behind them (essentially 3 points due to our goal difference) leaving us with an uphill task, but not an impossible one. That extra point could prove to be vital with our terrible goal difference.

It was a decent performance and result, at the time I thought it wasn’t enough. But, IF we beat Col U that leaves us 2 points behind them (essentially 3 points due to our goal difference) leaving us with an uphill task, but not an impossible one. That extra point could prove to be vital with our terrible goal difference.
l also agree that it was a half decent performance and the effort was there. We're not going to fix the lack of quality, especially in front of goal, but we've shown enough that getting a win against Colchester and maybe in 1 or 2 more fixtures if possible. That might just be enough, but it's looking unlikely now.

If we win at Colchester and Barrow then it's a 50% chance of relegation.

l also agree that it was a half decent performance and the effort was there. We're not going to fix the lack of quality, especially in front of goal, but we've shown enough that getting a win against Colchester and maybe in 1 or 2 more fixtures if possible. That might just be enough, but it's looking unlikely now.

If we win at Colchester and Barrow then it's a 50% chance of relegation.

If we win at Colchester and Barrow it’s 50% of the wins we need to avoid relegation.

If we win at Colchester and Barrow it’s 50% of the wins we need to avoid relegation.

If we win at Colchester and Barrow it will be the morning and time to wake up from deep sleep.

I believe I have been more than supportive of MM but last night's starting line-up has stifled my enthusiasm for his appointment or should I say disappointment. It appears to me, my opinion, that he is not learning lessons quick enough. That team was all about keeping it tight. As proven we are always capable of conceding a goal and that means we must look to score two to win. With that front line?

We are like a cruise ship in a sea of destroyers. I know the maths gives us a squeak but I fear our fate has been sealed. Sorry MM but a lot of the problem is down to you.

I know MM has steadied the ship and there is much about him I approve of but you can't keep putting the engineer at the helm and expect to reach your destination. Put the right people in the right places and let them do their job!

From the lack of match reports Im guessing people are feeling pretty much the same as me. After the match I'm so fed up I just don't want to talk about it.

I thought it was a battling performance first half. A great header on the end of a great cross...Could this be the start of better times....nope. We reverted back to full defensive mode...or it just became more apparent how untalented this team is.

The serve lack of movement, passing ability , crossing and shooting is just remarkable for a team of professional football players. Whatever you think of MM and his tactics and subs...**** me we just don't stand a chance. Maybe its a team chemistry thing..a bit like what SCP had once he brought in too many players with no back bone. Some of these players in a different team may be great players..but together..it just isn't working. That's where you want your coach to earn his money I guess..and that's what I'm not seeing...in an attacking sense.

Defensively we block and tackle on the most part very well and we have become harder to score against without question.

Going forward... It's quite frankly a complete shambles. Players just running nowhere, no one getting in good positions to shoot. Taking too long to make decisions.

RHF really annoyed me last night. Never looked truly committed to a challenge and when he got the ball was pretty useless as well.

Holmes has also been disappointing. He made one nice run and was flattened, but apart from that he was terrible. Another air shot in the box, Over hit cross, not beating the 1st man on a corner. I really wanted this to be a fairytale for him and us...but just cant see it happening.

Lastly, the throw in at the end with Cordner...Literally in the last minute of added on time. I swear he took over 40 seconds holding that ball, cleaning it....then with time up he throws back to Clifford who can't even get his cross past the 1st man and into the box....

Those players should have been throwing the kitchen sink at them at that point...seconds remaining...but they were slow, plodding, indecisive and that was that.

We need a miracle and we're all praying for one, even though deep down we know its probably not coming.

Football is full of surprises though.. we will see.

UTB
???

Last edited:
I think the game at Colchester will be just like the April 76 one.

Like the first half of that match would be OK.........unless Akinola took the penalty of course.....

Although we achieved 49 points, we would have needed 50 points (or 51 depending upon goal difference) to stay up that season, even with only two down.

4 wins, 2 draws and no defeats.

No problem.

Last edited:
Why I might ask? You could argue we just about deserved a point, but in no universe ever did we deserve to win that game.

I'm 'gutted' that I'm not married to Kylie Minogue, but I don't see fit to mention it.

Why I might ask? You could argue we just about deserved a point, but in no universe ever did we deserve to win that game.

I'm 'gutted' that I'm not married to Kylie Minogue, but I don't see fit to mention it.

Me too

Back