• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Morecambe v Southend United

A realist "we're in a very tough situation. I can't see us gaining enough ground to stay up(, but stranger things have happened.)" [I've added the bit in parentheses cos you get some optimist and some pessimistic realists, eh]
A defeatist "we're down. There's no way back."
A noticeable difference, although it might only subtle to some people, but a difference nonetheless. Also, it's one defeatists often like to ignore so they can pretend they're actually realists.
I don’t see what anything you’ve said has got anything to do with how “good” a fan someone is. Do you honestly think anyone who’s a member of a Southend United fans forum on the internet isn’t a “proper” fan? We’re down unless we start scoring goals, something we haven’t done all season so far. I’ll be ****ing amazed if we start banging them in now. Nobody wants us to go down on here apart from the Ewes and Orient fans maybe.

I don’t see what anything you’ve said has got anything to do with how “good” a fan someone is. Do you honestly think anyone who’s a member of a Southend United fans forum on the internet isn’t a “proper” fan? We’re down unless we start scoring goals, something we haven’t done all season so far. I’ll be ****ing amazed if we start banging them in now. Nobody wants us to go down on here apart from the Ewes and Orient fans maybe.
Quite simple. The realist is making an accurate statement and is not introducing waves of negativity into the discussion, whereas the defeatist is making a judgement which even then requires the prefix "I think that" followed by "we're down".
Just saying "we're down" is factually incorrect and in my opinion is a view best left in the author's head.

Most we can get is 54, no?
Oh - possibly, I'll check....yes, I forgot to adjust it after Morecambe scored!

Here it is, corrected. Thanks for pointing it out!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-06 224030.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-06 224030.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 20
Quite simple. The realist is making an accurate statement and is not introducing waves of negativity into the discussion, whereas the defeatist is making a judgement which even then requires the prefix "I think that" followed by "we're down".
Just saying "we're down" is factually incorrect and in my opinion is a view best left in the author's head.
The point I was making is that dropping factually incorrect statements (or merely pessimistic opinions) has no bearing on how “good” a fan someone is. Regardless of how annoyed it makes some posters.

Last edited:
Crawley are bottom of the six game form table with 2 points
Exeter are third bottom with four points
Col u are fifth bottom and bang out of form too. These next three games will therefore decide our fate.
we are 15th mid table.
Win two of these three (one must be col u) and with three games left the table will look decidedly different

The fat lady has not yet started singing
Shame we can’t roar them on

Crawley , Barrow and Col U are the games we must win , it still might not be enough but I’d take that run in to be fair .
I think it will come down to the Ewes game and it’s fair to say that it will be the biggest derby game ever for us .
the losing mentality has gone but now we must learn how to win games .....and learn quicker

What about the ones who announce they wont be going to any NL games. Who are quite often the same ones who were saying last season they wont be going to any L2 games.

"I'm a fan but only if my team are doing well" type statements certainly don't impress any real fans.

Ferguson is the biggest problem...worst thing he ever did was score the wonder goal...complete passenger most games!
Crawley , Barrow and Col U are the games we must win , it still might not be enough but I’d take that run in to be fair .
I think it will come down to the Ewes game and it’s fair to say that it will be the biggest derby game ever for us .
the losing mentality has gone but now we must learn how to win games .....and learn quicker
I think if we can beat col u our last 3 games are favourable over there last 3
Ours
Orient H
Barrow A
Newport H

there’s
Cheltenham A
Salford H
Tranmere A
But obviously being within 2 points of them at least with these to play

Typical southend fashion we will do enough to take this to the last day. I don't see us having the firepower to do it.

If we can replicate those first passages of play, get it down, get it wide, few triangles and through passes and stick it in the box we could yet find a few more tim dieng thunderbolt headers fly in

What about the ones who announce they wont be going to any NL games. Who are quite often the same ones who were saying last season they wont be going to any L2 games.

"I'm a fan but only if my team are doing well" type statements certainly don't impress any real fans.
Well no .. that’s something I've never understood and I assume they do it for a reaction. Accepting we’re probably headed for the NL isn’t the same. It’s mental preparation for the worst! I don’t see how being positive and optimistic about our slim chances makes you a better fan it’s just different ways of dealing with things.

I’ll be 100% back watching whatever league we’re in as soon as they unlock the gates. If we do pull off the great escape I’ll be cartwheeling down the High Street.

Well no .. that’s something I've never understood and I assume they do it for a reaction. Accepting we’re probably headed for the NL isn’t the same. It’s mental preparation for the worst! I don’t see how being positive and optimistic about our slim chances makes you a better fan it’s just different ways of dealing with things.

I’ll be 100% back watching whatever league we’re in as soon as they unlock the gates. If we do pull off the great escape I’ll be cartwheeling down the High Street.

Like wise I don't get the people who expect to be more entertained this season. No one ever escapes from the bottom of Division in December by "Entertaining". You work hard and make sure your difficult to beat. The uglier the better because everyone else is above you for a good reason. They don't care if you think your a bigger club than them, with more fans and therefore should be higher.

Someone said he would rather we lost 4-2 last night. I certainly wouldn't, a point was a good result. Yes we were poor v Carlisle but you cant then go and chase the game at Morecambe because of Saturdays poor performance. Football doesn't work like that.

Those that want amore "attacking" team got their wish on Saturday and we looked easily overrun because if they score 2 you don't score 3 just because you have more so called attacking players on the pitch. We have to score first or at least be in the game at half time.......We do not have the players who can turn games around.....It is that simple.

Neither of us have that winning mentality so the great Essex derby will probably turn into a we must not lose 0-0 draw fest!

I don't want you to go down, yes we want to finish above you each season but that is it, dropping out of the league is a completely different thing. Either of us could go down as yet but my preference is for both of us to stay up, it is much more fun when both of our clubs are vying with each other rather than having a fake rivalry with another club.

I don't want you to go down, yes we want to finish above you each season but that is it, dropping out of the league is a completely different thing. Either of us could go down as yet but my preference is for both of us to stay up, it is much more fun when both of our clubs are vying with each other rather than having a fake rivalry with another club.

Are you saying our massive rivalry with Manchester United is fake?

We’ve always hated Dagenham more than you ;) .. no fair point. It’s good to have a local derby to look forward to, I agree.

Back