• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC

I know this kind of follows from a previous thread but i think this title deserves to be added purely for the fact that i hope many are annoyed as me by that thread!

First of all i have not been the biggest fan of the way Sturrock has got us to play this season but the calling for him to go now is plain and simply wrong.....especially and most annoyingly just on tonight's performance which seems to where it has stemmed from.

Most of what we have achieved this season has been excellent. We have finished with a fantastic points total beating most of the teams in league 2 with a side built completely apart from Grant by Paul Sturrock.

Last Saturday he started the same side which were excellent away at Oxford so why change the side?

I totally admit we were woeful in the first half i almost felt embarressed by our display. Second half was changed when Harris come on + more importantly Moshni went up top but not denying it was too late and yes Sturrock should take a part of blame for this but it is totally unacceptable to say someone should be out just on this performance!

Would like to know if this is a fair whether fan opinion or a hardcore one who has been to lots of games?

I feel your post lacked the words "In my opinion" in many places.
Sturrock has so many times held his hands up and said he got it wrong. I can say "well done for admitting this" once, maybe twice but time after time, it seems that even Sturrock doesn't think he can do it.
We have possibly one of the most talented flair teams in the league, in my opinion, yet played ridiculous long ball football, even after our only tall striker got injured.

I thank him for putting a team together and saving us from the depths but he no longer has it in him, in my opinion!!

If I have to be labelled a "moron" for wanting Sturrock to leave then so be it, but I think it more moronic to keep a man bereft of how to handle the players he put together, and no this is not meant to incite and have people calling me all names under the sun!!

It doesn't matter if you have been to lots of games or not, if you support the club, you can watch highlights, listen to BBC Essex, watch the 3.5 really bad games we had on Sky, etc.. you are entitled to form an opinion.

I feel your post lacked the words "In my opinion" in many places.
Sturrock has so many times held his hands up and said he got it wrong. I can say "well done for admitting this" once, maybe twice but time after time, it seems that even Sturrock doesn't think he can do it.
We have possibly one of the most talented flair teams in the league, in my opinion, yet played ridiculous long ball football, even after our only tall striker got injured.

I thank him for putting a team together and saving us from the depths but he no longer has it in him, in my opinion!!

If I have to be labelled a "moron" for wanting Sturrock to leave then so be it, but I think it more moronic to keep a man bereft of how to handle the players he put together, and no this is not meant to incite and have people calling me all names under the sun!!

It doesn't matter if you have been to lots of games or not, if you support the club, you can watch highlights, listen to BBC Essex, watch the 3.5 really bad games we had on Sky, etc.. you are entitled to form an opinion.

Who says he can't handle them?

Have to ask why people continuously claim we have one of the best squads in league two? I'd say we are a play off team at best, Crewe would have been in top 3 if the season started in November and I think will walk the final. We played long ball because Crewe were putting pressure on us at every opportunity, how often were we shouting 'man on' last night? It had little to do with tactics and a lot to do with Crewe's ability to fight for every ball. When there's that kind of pressure you have to kick it long if you can't see a pass straight away. The only thing sturrock got wrong was not putting Mohsni up front earlier.

Firstly, having an opinion does not entitle others to refer to us as morons. Disagreeing with you is not a crime or learning disability. Secondly, all the stats about PS do not hide the fact that from the position we found ourselves, at the top, we blew this season and for me and in my opinion, the tactics were the root cause. Yes players were a part of it and other factors but tactics for me were the biggest faux pas.

Have to ask why people continuously claim we have one of the best squads in league two? I'd say we are a play off team at best, Crewe would have been in top 3 if the season started in November and I think will walk the final. We played long ball because Crewe were putting pressure on us at every opportunity, how often were we shouting 'man on' last night? It had little to do with tactics and a lot to do with Crewe's ability to fight for every ball. When there's that kind of pressure you have to kick it long if you can't see a pass straight away. The only thing sturrock got wrong was not putting Mohsni up front earlier.

We didnt play long ball last night.

First half we were trying to play it on the deck but our passing was terrible and as you say crewe did very well closing down.

Second half we played the ball around much better, but we did also get the ball into the box from Clohessy a lot when we pushed Mohsni up.

I have no problems with the style we have played at home the last 4 or 5 games. Need to build on it though so we dont revert back to real hoof ball.

I'd call it long ball, the only difference was that Mohsni was winning all the balls in the air so it didn't look quite as rubbish as usual.

I'd call it long ball, the only difference was that Mohsni was winning all the balls in the air so it didn't look quite as rubbish as usual.

The way we played last night was completely different to Saturday when we just reverted to hitting it long from our own half.

Yes when Mohsni was up front we did play balls into the box, but thats not long ball football. Long ball football is when your defenders are playing it long from your own penalty area, I didnt see much of that (although Prosser does it more than Id like). When Clohessey etc got into the opposition half we were often looking to hit Mohsni, which is exactly whats needed. Crewe had 10 men in the box and we had a huge aerial threat, so no point trying to pass it into the goal. Wouldnt class that as long ball football though.

And in the first half when Mohsni wasnt up front ?

The problem we had first half was passing in general, in particular (but not limited to) Timlins passing, was on the deck but going no where.

At least give it time for the dust to settle before making such comments. Immediate calls for the manager to go just after finishing 4th and making the play-offs is a bit harsh...

20 teams finished below us in the table. Ask any of their fans (with the exception of the two play off finalists) where they would prefer to have finished.

Ask them whether they would have preferred a nail biting final day of the season on the brink of autos, or a chance at the play offs.

Overall a good season. Ok the football was not always pretty (hey this is league two).

Hope Luggy carries on next season, with the additions of one or two players in key positions . The door for one or two others in the squad, and, who knows we may be there or thereabouts next season.

Losing Liam Dickinson for half the season, was the reason to our slipping in the league, out of the auto's in my opinion. He was key to the way we were playing offensively, and pretty or not it worked.

So, we lost a play off semi...we will have to get over it. 18 other clubs would have liked to be in with a shout of it. We will still be in league two next season, and the table doesn't lie, that's where we deserve to be.

My Manager at work watched the game last night purely due to him knowing my love for SUFC and when I came in this morning he was telling me how shocked he was by the amount of long balls we played even for a league 2 side.

I watch most of the game again last night on sky and the standard of football from us was terrible. If we had won I would have been over the moon even with hoof ball but it doesn't hide the fact that it is so terrible to watch.

I don't know I'm so gutted about last night by the fact it took us 150 minutes of football against crewe until we started fighting for our lifes. Thats not good enough IMO

The truth is we spent 11 weeks at the top, which is great. We spent 6 months in the top 3 also superb, 2012 has been on the large part painful. We should have been laughing but never had the killer instinct to pull away from the pack!!

I am not advocating that Paul Sturrock be sacked.
However, we do have a huge problem. His style of football is without doubt..utter dross.
We did not achieve promotion. Times are tough and football is expensive.
An entertainement business that neither entertains nor delivers ultimate success?? Will lose customers. Southend United is in a financial pickle..having Luggy as manager will not help.

Back