• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Only Wolves had more arrests than us for "violent disorder" in the whole of the top 4 leagues.

Swelled massively by the Cambridge incident I think.

Only one Cambridge fan was arrested all season and that was at home, so either no Cambridge fans were arrested, or the figures dont include outside the ground

I know people who were jailed just for being a Southend supporter .

Only one Cambridge fan was arrested all season and that was at home, so either no Cambridge fans were arrested, or the figures dont include outside the ground

Maybe they got lucky. Not one of the 30/40 Cambridge fans that came in the Spread were arrested. Might have stopped what happened later on.

Obviously we have some moronic followers like all clubs but I have followed us home and away for a long time and found vast majority of our fans really decent people. I remember us having large followings at Doncaster in 2008 and Southampton in 2010 and getting lot of praise from opposition fans stewards etc

Maybe they got lucky. Not one of the 30/40 Cambridge fans that came in the Spread were arrested. Might have stopped what happened later on.

Indeed, there were a fair number that day who should have been. I personally witnessed several assaults on police officers, throughout the day, where no action appeared to be taken, back in my youth the maxim was always, 'You never hit a copper'.....

Essex Police have made 15 arrests over the Simon Dobbin incident in total, no charges as yet, so that would swell our figures.

Also I have to cast some doubt on the figures, if they show that only one Cambridge fan was arrested all season and that that arrest was at home then they are wrong, it was widely reported at the time of the Dobbin incident that a 47 year old man from Cambridge was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage with respect to the door of the Railway pub.

Out of interest, and just to put things in perspective, last week figures were released that showed that for every one arrest made at a football match last season there were eleven made at Glastonbury.

Didn't see any of them getting Festival Banning Orders.... :tease:

Indeed, there were a fair number that day who should have been. I personally witnessed several assaults on police officers, throughout the day, where no action appeared to be taken, back in my youth the maxim was always, 'You never hit a copper'.....

Essex Police have made 15 arrests over the Simon Dobbin incident in total, no charges as yet, so that would swell our figures.

Also I have to cast some doubt on the figures, if they show that only one Cambridge fan was arrested all season and that that arrest was at home then they are wrong, it was widely reported at the time of the Dobbin incident that a 47 year old man from Cambridge was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage with respect to the door of the Railway pub.

That incident isnt to with football though.there is no evidence to suggest that

Can't we just be happy that finally we've topped a league?

I'd also say that our strike rate is pretty good as well judging by the stats. I'm off to support the SUFC casual crew instead of the chumps turning out on the pitch.

Out of interest, and just to put things in perspective, last week figures were released that showed that for every one arrest made at a football match last season there were eleven made at Glastonbury
That's not actually true. There were 75 arrests at the Glastonbury Festival last year. They were suggesting that the number of people arrested was higher as a proportion of the size of the crowd.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/football-arrests-home-office-figures

In addition, the comparison between the entirety of the festival and "a football match" is hugely misleading. A football match lasts less than a couple of hours, with a little mingling and drinking on either side. Let's round up and call it 5 hours.

Most people have already arrived at the Glastonbury festival by Wednesday morning and don't go home until Monday morning. Let's round down for late arrivals and call it 100 hours.

So on a straight comparison on the number of hours, the arrest rate at Glastonbury is about half the arrest rate at the football.

Sorry, I can't help myself. I studied criminology at university and I work with statistics now. It just takes me over when I see a misleading stat. That article last week had me grumbling about it all day. ;)

EDIT: If it helps, I did once get arrested on suspicion of murder. But I was innocent. :D It wasn't at a football match, though.

Back