• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Further to the Pub thread "Most toe-curling moment" I thought I'd create a specific one related to your time as a Southend United fan.

I've got 3 actually.

First one is when I almost fell out of the front row of the South Upper after Mike Marsh's 92nd minute winner against Ipswich in 1996. As I was living in Ipswich at the time and had just suffered a month of work colleagues winding me up about how they were going to put at least 3 goals past us my celebration was somewhat exuberant. Lets just say I was prevented from a nasty injury by the quick thinking of my dad who caught me just as gravity was about to take hold!

Second one, away at Reading in 96/97 after Boere's 2nd goal. For some reason in my memory (more of that later) I thought we had drawn this game but checking back it was actually a 3-2 defeat. Anyway, it was our last visit to Elm Park and we took a decent number of away fans down there despite our procarious league position at the time. For those who don't remember the old away-end at Reading was a fairly large open terrace. Boere equalised just after HT, but then Reading pretty much went down the other end and scored to make it 2-1. We then took control of the game (both on the ptich & on the terraces) and it only seemed a matter of time before we scored again but it took 10 or so minutes to breakthrough. Cue, utter mental celebrations amongst the band of travelling Shrimpers. However, in my haste to surge to the front of the terrace my trailing leg decided to take a liking to one of the crush barriers. I'm going to exaggerate a bit but from my perspective it seemed as if people were running over my head. 5 minutes of pain later I realised nothing was broken but I was just composing myself when that big Iron Trevor Morley scored again for Reading. Cue in my frustration a well aimed kick at the aforementioned barrier, and again I came off worse, this time breaking my toe! :(

Third one & probably my most shameful one was in the evening after the first LDV final! My parents had come down with me & the Mrs & our 2 friends. However after a heavy night on the Saturday, my Mrs decided she wasn't up for coming out for another night drinking. After our meal we were in a pub just around the corner from the MillStad and got talking to a couple of Southend fans. After about 5 minutes of not being able to participate in the conversation (and for my Mum this is probably a World Record as she's a bit of a chatterbox) she decided to pipe up "He is from Southend, you know, even though he hasn't lived there for years". Aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhh. Suffice to say this was a bit of a conversation killer so I just made my excuses and left them to it.

So, any stories you maybe want to confess to and add to the SUFC Hall of Shame?

Last edited:
Fair point.

What about away at QPR sometime in the mid to late nineties when we got awarded a free kick for offside and the player taking it (don't know who it was) tried to take it from well inside the other side's half (despite it being for offside - and therefore by definition it must be from within your own half).

Not sure if that was not knowing the rules or a blatant try on, but either way it was pretty embarrassing I thought! (sorry about the vagueness regarding dates and identity of player)

when I was 15 I was part of the Junior Blues anyway they always did a raffle 2 be mascot!

anyway I won the only prob was I didnt have any boots etc just my shirt and had some old dodgy jeans looked like a rite div and I was taller than most the players I think Alex Burns was captin.. I got ribbed by the players! anyway that was my worst moment as a southend fan!

by the way it was Exeter away cant rem the date top of my head!

- Walking round Grimsby in a cowboy outfit after we'd blown it.
- Telling everyone how we had a chance of beating Luton to see us shamefully outclassed
- Paying money to watch Alan Little's "team"

Bringing a friend of mine to watch us at Roots Hall. As the team was warming up, I pointed out Dave Morley and said he was pretty good (I know, I know), needless to say Dangerous Dave had a shocker, scoring an OG (I think) and being at fault for the other 2 goals in a 3-0 drubbing. My mate still crucifies me about it to this day.

Nov 5th 1991 - Blackburn Rovers Home. Came straight from work in London to Prittlewell Stn. Into the Railway for a couple of pints, (& it was only 2).
Left the pub for K.O., 50 yds down the pavement, put me right leg into the road to avoid someone coming the other way & got hit by a car, she couldn't drive any closer to the pavement if she tried, still my fault though!
Ambulance, broken tib & fib, 3 weeks in hospital, 8 months off work, missed the match!! sez it all really!
Remember going down to theatre, heavily sedated, & asking several times "well what was the score then" - we won 3-0 against Dalglish's wannabies.

When we lost 4-0 at home to Watford, there were a load of them in the West Stand, and after the 4th goal, I had had enough and jumped off my seat to complain at their celebrations in a 'home only' area. When attempting to return to my seat after a few choice words, I must have forgotten the 'folding' properties of Roots Hall seating and fell on my @rse. Yes, marvellous.

Cheering our last minute winner over Burnley last season so loudly and with so much gusto that I drooled all over my jacket.

Away terrace at Home Park, with about 70-odd Shimpers, doing a very loud:

"ooooooooOOOOOOOOHHHH! It's Sammy"

...followed by a brief silence, whereupon 70-odd other Shrimpers started to sing:

"On your own, on your own, on your own....!"

:thump: :minger:

Oh well, never mind...

Could we please hear from the chap who managed to fall over and roll through some dog dirt on his way to the Sheffiled Wednesday - SUFC 5th round FA cup game.

Mine was last season.

Cant remember who we were playing but we were attacking the south bank. Freddy had done brilliantly and done about two players before squaring it to Bradders whos as usual had five touches when one would have surficed.

The keeper was down all Badders had to do was smash it home. The whole South Bank stood up to witness yet another Bradders wonder goal. Sadly Bradders had other ideas and smashed it high and wide.

The ball was travelling towards us. No worries I thought I can deal with this. I lined the ball up perfectly for a header to really impress a tense Roots Hall crowd. Heading has always been my forte and this would be my moment of glory.

It seems like minutes as the ball got closer and closer. Like the true pro I am I kept my eye on the ball. Here its come Dave , closer, closer and then just as I was about to head it a month into sundays Dad of DtS decided to get the slightest little nick on the edge of the ball.

Whilst it didnt divert it much it took the ball of my forehead and smacked me clean on the nose.

Ldn Fatso, Kristof and all the others in the South Upper ****ed themselves. Even six year old Luca who I sit next too was laughing. I am pretty sure even Bradders himself had a chuckle.

I was scared for life !!!!

Last edited:
Second one, away at Reading in 96/97 after Boere's 2nd goal. For some reason in my memory (more of that later) I thought we had drawn this game but checking back it was actually a 3-2 defeat.

I think we drew the previous season 3-3.

Ive got two....

Bournemouth Away this season after leaving to go for a slash 5 minutes before half time i missed tommy blacks goal and fell up the stairs and all 2000 fans saw me!

Also Orient away about 4 years ago when we were standing behind the goal but i was with my mate whos step dad was on the youth coaching staff at orient invited me to sit with him right next to the dug outs and we went 1-0 up and celebrated quietly in my mates faces but then bramble and broughton both scored own goals...which shut me up.

Only beating Wet Spam 1-0 in April 1993.

Theres only one Bretty Angell...Great game that, nowhere near my worst moment.

Getting sprayed in the face with CS gas by some large ****ty Derby fan after all steaming onto the pitch, and then seeing it on Crimewatch the next Monday, wasn't my finest hour!

Back