• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most Tense Moment As A Southend Supporter

TBV_Dan

Supporting The Blue Voice
Following the recent "Most embarassing moment as a southend fan" thread, I have made a thread dedicated to the tense moments southend players have given us, the fans. I have three...

1. Last season against Norwich where we came back from being 3-1 down to draw 3-3. Eastwood got our first goal before norwich hit three past us. In the second half, Hammell scores a free kick for us and Gower scores the equaliser in the last minute of injury time, Supurb.

2. Last season's 4th round Carling cup tie against man utd. After Eastwood smashing a truly supurb free kick past man utd's keeper, all southend supporters were on the edge of their seats for the rest of the game. In Injury time everyone just wanted southend to hold on. When the final whistle went and southend supporters invaded the pitch, I just stayed standing in the same spot, mouth open, thinking "Have championship side Southend just beaten top premiership side Manchester United?" Quality moment. Man Utd Fans, players and their manager were not happy at all (espesially as Man Utd's boss was celebrating his 20th game in charge of Man Utd!)

3. This season's last minute winner against Swindon Town. Mark Gower with the last kick of the game, firing it into the bottom corner to bag the 3 points for the shrimpers. I went loopy!!!

Anyone else got any other tense moments?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
As my memeory is not the best and i have not taken in many matches since being in Sweat sock land....I would have to say the last 2 mins at Roots Hall against Man U

swansea away when we won promotion to the championship. was really tense waiting to see if hartlepool would equalise, and then last to the final whistle. for me a tense moment but once it was confirmed the aftermath was even better because of the tenseness.

A native American friend of mine couldn't decide if he should live in a wigwam or his teepee, that was two tense moments.:D

Just made me think of MK....................

He is camper than a row of TENTS!!!!

:hilarious:

the play-off final for me, after losing the previous two Cardiff finals the tension was high before the game started and Lincoln had the better of the 90 minutes. Freddy scoring relieved a little bit of tension and when Juppy scored the release of tension was something I haven't experienced before or since.

There are many for me over the last few years.

1) Man United last season
2) Leeds at home this year
3) Lincoln play off final
4) Bristol City for the title decider.
5) Swansea the day we won promotion.
6) Orient last week
7) Colchester matches are always tense.

Brum at home last season, waiting for that 4th goal to go in so I could bugger off to the pub was pretty tense.

1990 away at Peterborough leading 2-1 through 2 David Crown goals and needing a win for promotion. The awful referee Mike Read decided to add on 7 minutes of injury time felt like half an hour and more. He also denied us the most obvious penalty you will ever see, thinking about it still winds me up!! Those who were there will remember it. It was more tense than I could ever tell you, but I remember the feeling when the final whistle went. That was a truly great day.

- G

1990 away at Peterborough leading 2-1 through 2 David Crown goals and needing a win for promotion. The awful referee Mike Read decided to add on 7 minutes of injury time felt like half an hour an more. He also denied us the most obviously penalty you will ever see, thinking about it still winds me up!! Those who were there will remember it. It was more tense than I could ever tell you, but I remember the feeling when the final whistle went. That was a truly great day.

- G

I was 10 that day, having seen the game on the season video, Read blew for a free-kick seemingly every 30 seconds. Dave Martin and Mick Halsall the main perpetrators, rather unsurprisingly. My overriding memory was the heat, inside that stand it must have been 30 celcius plus and I remember getting a refreshing hosing down courtesy of a hose.

1. The entirety of the second half of our home game vs. the Ewes in the LDV area final. We'd still never been to any major final of any description by that stage, and the Ewes battered us during the whole half. I felt sick for most of the half, and the final whistle was met with an outpouring of relief more than joy.

2. All three play-off games were hideous in the tension stakes.

3. Grimsby away in 04-05... more dread, than tension, though.

Matt

I was 10 that day, having seen the game on the season video, Read blew for a free-kick seemingly every 30 seconds. Dave Martin and Mick Halsall the main perpetrators, rather unsurprisingly. My overriding memory was the heat, inside that stand it must have been 30 celcius plus and I remember getting a refreshing hosing down courtesy of a hose.

It was absolutely BOILING that day. We had about 2,000 fans there. The away end was rammed!!! We were 2-0 up in just over 20 minutes and it was just a party atmosphere. Halsall got one back for them and then it was bite your finger nails time!!! I was 16 at that match but it can feel like it was yesterday.

- G

Swansea away, the game was clearly heading for a draw and rumours were flying around that Hartlepool had equalised at Brentford. The events of the year before just made the wait for official confirmation absolute hell - and it took ages for the BBC to update the scores section...

It was absolutely BOILING that day. We had about 2,000 fans there. The away end was rammed!!! We were 2-0 up in just over 20 minutes and it was just a party atmosphere. Halsall got one back for them and then it was bite your finger nails time!!! I was 16 at that match but it can feel like it was yesterday.

- G

I remember the away end being rammed, we were stood right down the front and the sun was blaring down on us all day long. Remember their GK (Paul Crichton?) let a Crown pea-roller under his body for 2-0 and the atmosphere was cracking all day.

After we got back Southend we started a now long standing tradition in the Molyneux household, the end of season ruby!

Back