• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mountain Bikes

SARF

Director
Do they really need 24 bloody gears..?
I mean 6 or 7 would be enough.. Lets face it the incline required to make the first gear relavent you wouldn't be able to walk up with out Chris Bonningtons help.
And that front cog always f%&ks up after about 30 minutes and puts the chain on a random gear of its own choice..
Bring back the old 5 gear racers with drop handle bars.. Naturally modified with Cow horns of course.

Actually, you can now get 9 speed hubs which equal 27 gears!!!
Although you have never truly have that amount of gears available to you due to putting excess stresses on the chain by bending it too much (that's probaby why the front mech breaks so easily).

Road bikes now even can run 10 speed hubs with a double chainring on the front.

My next purchase though may be a simple track bike which I'll modify for the road by putting a front brake on it!!!

ShrimperZone's Cycling Correspondent
tounge.gif

I have 27 gears on my mountain bike and regularly use all of them.

The gear indexing is not as crisp or as accurate as it used to be though.

Any ideas how I should adjust them?

Cheers

Clean the chain & cassette (the rear cogs) with degreaser & WD40.
Then relubricate with a good chain oil.
Simple as.
If it's still not crisp, take it to a shop & get them to service all the cabling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 10 2006,15:44)]Clean the chain & cassette (the rear cogs) with degreaser & WD40.
Simple as.
If it's still not crisp, take it to a shop & get them to service all the cabling.
That's what I have done.

I used white lightning to re - lubricate.

I supect the cables (and possibly the chain) need replacing because I have probably done a good 1000 miles since new.

Cheers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ May 10 2006,15:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 10 2006,15:44)]Clean the chain & cassette (the rear cogs) with degreaser & WD40.
Simple as.
That's what I have done.

I used white lightning to re - lubricate.

I supect the cables (and possibly the chain) need replacing because I have probably done a good 1000 miles since new.

Cheers.
As opposed to a bad 1000 miles?

Racer /  Cycling clothing......

What the f**k is that all about ??

I've never, and i mean never seen a cool Racing cyclist.
All 1980's flourescent crap.

Get a grip and wear something cool, surely you don't all have to look like nonces?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ May 11 2006,08:37)]Racer /  Cycling clothing......

Get a grip and wear something cool, surely you don't all have to look like nonces?
Being an Australian I think you have a bloody cheek criticising peoples fashion sense.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ May 11 2006,08:37)]Racer /  Cycling clothing......

You don't have to look like a dork to ride a bike these days.
I don't own one piece of cycling clothing that's fluoro, although my white shorts can get a bit embarassing if it's raining
tounge.gif

Surprised we also haven't had the why do cyclists shave their legs chat either. Not that I do anymore now I'm not fit enough to race.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ May 11 2006,09:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ May 11 2006,08:37)]Racer / Cycling clothing......

Being an Australian I think you have a bloody cheek criticising peoples fashion sense.

smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I knew that was coming.

There's nothing wrong with string vests and mullets
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ May 10 2006,15:48)]I supect the cables (and possibly the chain) need replacing because I have probably done a good 1000 miles since new.
the general rule of thumb is that if u use your bike enough you need to change your chain every six months or even more frequently. however as you have done over 1000miles a service and a cable and chain change is definately needed!

Back