• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Probably no better than Phil Brown! People like Mourinho, Wenger, Van Ghall etc are overrated. They can sign and work with the best players in the world, almost anyone could succeed with those types of squad. The real success stories are Eddie Howe,and dozens of lower division managers who get teams promoted on a shoestring.

Jose had a 66% win rate in the Premier league. How would he do as Southend manager? :winking:

Would be better to sign him as Southends owner now he has 40m in the bank

Would be better to sign him as Southends owner now he has 40m in the bank

Yeah , he's certainly not going to starve this Christmas !
Bet his missus is looking forward to a decent prezzie !

Probably no better than Phil Brown! People like Mourinho, Wenger, Van Ghall etc are overrated. They can sign and work with the best players in the world, almost anyone could succeed with those types of squad. The real success stories are Eddie Howe,and dozens of lower division managers who get teams promoted on a shoestring.

Or win the Champions League with Porto.

The story sneaking out is that he was a fantastic motivator of Chelsea when they were winning, keeping the players happy, backing them up, and saying the right things. But when they were losing, he did the opposite of those things and upset a lot of players.

Or win the Champions League with Porto.

And Inter to be fair. They had an aging squad that season and he beat Barca and Bayern. Great achievement. He got the best out of Walter Samuel, Lucio, Milito. As soon as he left Inter they went straight down the pan.

But yes the Porto win was outrageously good.

I said to my Chelsea fan mate earlier, I'm waiting for the, 'Phil Brown linked to Chelsea job' thread on Shrimperzone.

Seems like he has turned down his wedge from Chelsea
Makes me feel sick, if these multi millionaire super talented ( in their own minds) coaches had any balls they would buy a smaller club and develop it themselves. No owner to answer to and we would see what talent you really have.

I'm sure that all of the above mentioned have some talent.

I disagree with the wenger comments. He took bit part players and turned them into top notch talent. Henry Anelka Vieira and has given a lot of youth players like Wiltshire gibbs Ramsey a chance.

He also up until recently didn't pay big money .

Mourinho is a top top coach. He has been lucky with inherited squads etc, but he has been top class.

I think both of those managers would get the team at least trying to play more confident flowing football.

On the Mourinho topic, Diego Torres' account of his time at Real Madrid is fascinating, goes through how he lost and alienated the dressing room and staff, the influence of Jorge Mendes (Falcao anyone?) and arrogance creeping into his tactics. Seems to relate to a lot of what has been coming out about Chelsea over recent weeks/months.

How would he do here? He would probably get the players motivated, and he'd scare the opposition, but when you look at his record he's always spent big money since he left Porto, and that's obviously not something he could do here. He's never really developed any top young players and never really bought any players cheap and developed them into stars, as Wenger, Ferguson, etc have. He's a good manager but best suited for a club with a lot of money to spend.

Mourinho is a chancer. He won the CL at Porto with an easy run to the final where they beat Monaco. The equaliser at Old Trafford that put them through was never a FK and United also had a goal disallowed earlier in the game which was perfectly OK. Porto play in a one team league so CL was surprising but doable.

When he won the CL with Inter, the Icelandic volcano meant that the Barcelona team had an 18hr coach journey to get to Milan. They then lost the away leg in Barcelona. Meanwhile, AC Milan were given a points deduction and Juventus were relegated to Serie B because of the match fixing scandal from prior years. He had no domestic challenge and could concentrate everything on European compeition.

He'll go to PSG where his working conditions will be exactly the same. I'd love to see him at Southend because at least then he'd be exposed for the fraud that he is.

Mourinho is a chancer. He won the CL at Porto with an easy run to the final where they beat Monaco. The equaliser at Old Trafford that put them through was never a FK and United also had a goal disallowed earlier in the game which was perfectly OK. Porto play in a one team league so CL was surprising but doable.

When he won the CL with Inter, the Icelandic volcano meant that the Barcelona team had an 18hr coach journey to get to Milan. They then lost the away leg in Barcelona. Meanwhile, AC Milan were given a points deduction and Juventus were relegated to Serie B because of the match fixing scandal from prior years. He had no domestic challenge and could concentrate everything on European compeition.

He'll go to PSG where his working conditions will be exactly the same. I'd love to see him at Southend because at least then he'd be exposed for the fraud that he is.

Not a fan I take it :smile:

I think Benfica and Sporting might have something to say about the Portugese League being a one team league.. Even if it was a one team league I don't see why that would make it easier to win the Champions League. And the Porto Champions League win was luck because of 2 refereeing mistakes in one leg of one game, seriously?

You clearly dislike Mourinho, that's the only reason I can come up with as to why you're making bizzare excuses as to why they didn't deserve to win. I don't think Barcelona being slightly disadvantaged in one game should discredit an entire Champions League campaign.

I notice you didn't mention the Premier League titles with Chelsea, couldn't think of a reason as to why they don't count either?

Didn't Mourinho go something like six years across three countries without losing a home game? The guy is many things but a fraud ain't one of them.

I think Benfica and Sporting might have something to say about the Portugese League being a one team league.. Even if it was a one team league I don't see why that would make it easier to win the Champions League. And the Porto Champions League win was luck because of 2 refereeing mistakes in one leg of one game, seriously?

You clearly dislike Mourinho, that's the only reason I can come up with as to why you're making bizzare excuses as to why they didn't deserve to win. I don't think Barcelona being slightly disadvantaged in one game should discredit an entire Champions League campaign.

I notice you didn't mention the Premier League titles with Chelsea, couldn't think of a reason as to why they don't count either?

He won 2 titles at a time when no one else was spending the sort of money they were. Then they one the most recent one off the back of a long-term FFP strategy which was implemented during his time away from the club. Allowing him to spend even more money on what was already a very good squad.

I'm not denying history, I'm just saying that his contribution to almost every 'achievement' he's associated with can be explained away.

Every achievement can be explained away but what a horrible, joyless view of football that must be.

Back