• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Moussa

Ipshrimp

Youth Team
The verdict on last night seems to be that Scannell was far and away our best player. Personally, I thought Moussa had a great game too. I've seen plenty of comment on here that the lad's lightweight and not really up to it. From what I saw last night, I'd say his lack of brawn is irrelevant. He more than makes up for it with his touch, distribution and general reading of the game. I thought he ran the midfield for much of the game. MotM?

I thought he played well last night, one of his better performances this season. To be honest, I think he has struggled big time for the majority of this term, and that's a dissapointment, as I thought the back end of last season, he was arguably one of most influential and consistent performers.

The left side is not his natuarl position, and I suspect now that Scannell is playing well, and we have Watt on loan from Arsenal, his position is in real jeopardy. McCormack is back on Saturday, and it will be interesting to see what Tilly does - will he play Moussa alongside Macca or revert to type, and stick with JFC? Certainly, if he can continue like he did last night, that will be a big plus.

for someone who's apparently lightweight, he made some big tackles last night too

for someone who's apparently lightweight, he made some big tackles last night too
Indeed. The 'lightweight' criticisms are very much dated as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not man of the match last night but certainly one of the better performers and it's nice to see him in the middle.

Having said that, as RC suggested, I think he will be dropped on Saturday, which would be a shame.

Not criticised him for being lightweight recently but his form has been terrible, and although he DID play better the other night, no way was he anywhere near Scannell's MotM performance.

Moussa is no longer lightweight. He uses his body very well for someone so small and so rarely gets pushed off the ball. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Monday the first time in a long time that he has played centre midfield as part of a 4, instead of 5? He seems to get crowded out when in a 5 man midfield and doesn't really know what he is supposed to do (as do most of the team when we play that formation) He likes time on the ball, which is why I think he looked so good on the wing at the back end of last season.

I would leave him in and start Macca on the bench (never going to happen though). I think Macca needs to learn to control his bookings as does Grant. I mean for someone like Christophe who is a battling ball winner to have half the number of yellows as Macca and Grant just shows a lack of discipline that they have and that they need to sort out. It costs us with such a small squad.

Moussa is no longer lightweight. He uses his body very well for someone so small and so rarely gets pushed off the ball. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Monday the first time in a long time that he has played centre midfield as part of a 4, instead of 5? He seems to get crowded out when in a 5 man midfield and doesn't really know what he is supposed to do (as do most of the team when we play that formation) He likes time on the ball, which is why I think he looked so good on the wing at the back end of last season.

I would leave him in and start Macca on the bench (never going to happen though). I think Macca needs to learn to control his bookings as does Grant. I mean for someone like Christophe who is a battling ball winner to have half the number of yellows as Macca and Grant just shows a lack of discipline that they have and that they need to sort out. It costs us with such a small squad.

I was saying the same thing 2/3 months ago, but IMO against Swindon and Col U it showed how much we missed him. We need that bit of fight in the centre and none of our current CM's offer that.

definitely think that a 4 man midfield suits Moussa much more than a 5 man midfield. not only does it mean he isn't crowded in the middle, but it also means he has two forwards to pass too rather than one, and can find players more easily with long-range passes

If we had won then I would leave Macca on the bench.. But we didnt, thus I'd drop Moose and put Macca and JFC on to start.. Scannell has earnt his place.. What Tilson sees in training will decide wether the new kid is good enough.. Up front we have options.. In defence we have options, Thought Mvoto played himself back into form after a shocking start on tuesday... 442 please

Am I the only one who'd like to see Macca and Moussa start together on Saturday? Moose's passing ability and the fact we need a creative influence in the centre should complement Macca's game well. Jeff has been pretty poor this season (as has Macca at times) and neither can count passing ability as one of their strong points.

Long-term I'd like to see Grant and Moussa in the middle, whether that happens we'll have to wait and see.

The verdict on last night seems to be that Scannell was far and away our best player. Personally, I thought Moussa had a great game too. I've seen plenty of comment on here that the lad's lightweight and not really up to it. From what I saw last night, I'd say his lack of brawn is irrelevant. He more than makes up for it with his touch, distribution and general reading of the game. I thought he ran the midfield for much of the game. MotM?

I was at the game Monday thought Moose had a played really well and watching it again last night only confirms that. Great tackles, worked hard, good distribution and added a real attacking threat from the centre of the park. Best game from him for a while, looked like he relished the central role in a 442 rather than the recent 451. Personally, I'd keep him there for Saturday.

Some people were using the pretty much failed 4-5-1 as reason Moussa could not play in the middle, but on Monday he was excellent. I would keep the same midfield for Saturday, but if Macca has to come back it would be at the expense on Christophe. We need to start scoring goals and Moussa is going to incluence that better than JFC.

This also means Macca can be the more defensive one, which is far better for him.

Yeah moussa played good! Great tackles, and that last shot near the end were he had ben williams make that good save, absolute quality shot from moussa outside the area.

It was ok, but be honest it wasn't that difficult a save- it just looked good. But at least it was a shot, and it was on target

Am I the only one who'd like to see Macca and Moussa start together on Saturday? Moose's passing ability and the fact we need a creative influence in the centre should complement Macca's game well. Jeff has been pretty poor this season (as has Macca at times) and neither can count passing ability as one of their strong points.

Long-term I'd like to see Grant and Moussa in the middle, whether that happens we'll have to wait and see.

I'm with you.

Moussa has been disappointing this season after a bright start but played well Monday night. We have to remember he has been out of position for the vast majority of the season.

His favourite position is central midfield and the arrival of Sanchez Watt, and the injury to Grant, allows Moussa to move infield to the centre.

Now, tackling isn't his strong point. Its one of my big critisicms of him, the amount of time he pulls out or goes in half hearted, and alongside him Macca's big weakness is his passing.

Now, Macca can tackle and Moussa can pass. All Macca has to do is tackle, then pass it 5 yards to Moussa who can look to get the play moving. Having JFC or Grant in the middle of the part means we lose shape in my opinon. Both are quite content on sitting in front of the back four being an 3rd centre back rather than a 2nd central midfielder. That means the opposing team have two against one, and they cut through us at ease. It was evident against Wycombe that once they went past Macca, they had a free run of about 15-20 yards until Grant made a tackle.

Grant and JFC will have a place in a 4-5-1 as a holding midfielder, but I'm not a big fan of JFC in particular in a 4-4-2 whereas I think Grant is technically a better player so could be the "Macca" player when he is not about.

A midfield four of Watt Moussa Macca Scannell gives us balance, width, pace and some creativity. We have Moussa who can look to fed the wingers and strikers in a way the likes of Maher and Guttridge used to. And with two natural wide players, we have width and pace and some direct running at the full back to create chances.

A midfield four of Watt Moussa Macca Scannell gives us balance, width, pace and some creativity. We have Moussa who can look to fed the wingers and strikers in a way the likes of Maher and Guttridge used to. And with two natural wide players, we have width and pace and some direct running at the full back to create chances.

I diasgree that that is a balanced midfield. A midfield 4 of Watt, Moussa, Macca and Scannell doesn't gives us sufficient defensive cover.

When we had Maher and Guttridge in midfield we had either Bentley or Pettefer out wide. McCormack may have the work-rate and tackle a lot, but he is at his most effective pressing high up the pitch, not sitting deep or tracking midfield runners like a Grant or a Christophe.

Agreed.

Moussa and Grant being our central midfield partnership for the next X years makes me drool. I've not seen a lot of Moussa in the middle but from what I've seen of him out wide his game looks to suit the forward thinking central midfield role perfectly. Grant's a quality player for this league too, I think they would compliment each other fantastically, place a creative winger or two alongside them and that's a top half + midfield.

Back