• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firestorm

Pedant
reading the Rons Blog thread struck a bit of a nerve.

Mrs FS is currently in an interim position above her substantive post and looked in line to get the position permanently, however a change in the board has put that in a bit of doubt.
She would find it very difficult to return to the substantive post, given the circumstances and the extra money (around 20% more) has come in rather handy. She has seen a very similar role elsewhere and applied.

But its in Leicester...

I can commute if we were to move south of Leicester so I can keep my job (just the train fares and travelling time will double) but their are other pro's and cons

Cons: 2 of our 4 kids still live in the Southend area
Her elderly Mum lives in Southend (but will not be alone as her Brother also does)
We will not get to as many home games
I have never lived outside of essex

Pro's
We would be able to afford to live in a nice rural location
The money is even more than her current interim role which would give a chance to build up a bit of a nestegg for our retirement (which is only 15 years away)
We would be able to get to more away games
We would be closer to two of the kids than we are now.
She will have less distance to travel to work

(BTW Mrs FS earns more than me)

So fellow zoners ,a couple of questions:
If your 50 yr old parents who have always lived near you moved away would you get the hump ?
Will we become lesser supporters ?
Should we be considering the potential short term cons to have a better retirement
Will I be too close to MK ?

I think it's definitely worth a try, being exiled doesn't make you a "lesser" supporter despite what certain people may say.

I believe Rugby & Corby (both fairly near Leicester) are now considered excellent commuter towns for getting into Central London as they've recently had fast rail links introduced. Also, think of all the decent country roads (I'm thinking of Rutland especially) for you to explore on the bike.

That part of England (especially a decent rural location) is somewhere I'd be happy to move to - spent a few months actually trying to sell around there (also the Southport/Lytham area too) to the Mrs but she's now keener on going to Spain long-term.

Having lived in Leicester for much of my formative years I can confrim its a total toliet. That said you plan to live away from there so maybe not an issue.

The football is a side issue really. Yes we all love going but its just a part of your life. You may not wish to do as many homes games but away will certainly be a lot easier as you will be closer to nearly all the games bar maybe this season.

The kids need to understand that you both have your own lives. When I was 18 Dad moved back home to Southend and I stayed in Brighton. No issues. He did what was right for him and I for me. Still speak every other night and we get on as well now as we did when we lived together. The kids can I guess come and live with you if they are not happy with you going. You have to live your own life - I am assuming of course they are not young kids.

Her Mother is an issue but again as above its your life. If things become to hard for her then she can always move in with you at a later date maybe.

I guess it depends what motivates you. Personally I always go for the money. However there are other factors. As much as you love Mrs FS will you both want to spend all your freetime together - Will you miss your mates etc.

A tough one in general.

Between Northampton and Leicester seem about right for a quick whip into Wellingborough or ketteing to get the Train in.

Market Harbro' is over 6k for a season ticket to London !

I think it's definitely worth a try, being exiled doesn't make you a "lesser" supporter despite what certain people may say.

I believe Rugby & Corby (both fairly near Leicester) are now considered excellent commuter towns for getting into Central London as they've recently had fast rail links introduced. Also, think of all the decent country roads (I'm thinking of Rutland especially) for you to explore on the bike.

That part of England (especially a decent rural location) is somewhere I'd be happy to move to - spent a few months actually trying to sell around there (also the Southport/Lytham area too) to the Mrs but she's now keener on going to Spain long-term.

Rugby - yes, but personally I wouldnt live there. Odd place.
Corby - no. Avoid like the plague. Basildon of the midlands.

Having lived in Leicester for much of my formative years I can confrim its a total toliet. That said you plan to live away from there so maybe not an issue.

The football is a side issue really. Yes we all love going but its just a part of your life. You may not wish to do as many homes games but away will certainly be a lot easier as you will be closer to nearly all the games bar maybe this season.

The kids need to understand that you both have your own lives. When I was 18 Dad moved back home to Southend and I stayed in Brighton. No issues. He did what was right for him and I for me. Still speak every other night and we get on as well now as we did when we lived together. The kids can I guess come and live with you if they are not happy with you going. You have to live your own life - I am assuming of course they are not young kids.

Her Mother is an issue but again as above its your life. If things become to hard for her then she can always move in with you at a later date maybe.

I guess it depends what motivates you. Personally I always go for the money. However there are other factors. As much as you love Mrs FS will you both want to spend all your freetime together - Will you miss your mates etc.

A tough one in general.

Cheers Dave, The youngest is 23 and He lives in Manchester !

As for mates, we don't actually have that many... I can't actually remember the last time we went out with anyone other than the two girls who live in Southend and a couple of their mates.

I believe Leicestershire comes fairly close to Norfolk for wierdos and sub human mutants.
Providing you don't mind a multitude of banjo playing strangers coming up and sniffing your backside, it should be ok.

Maybe you could move for long enough to build up some bunce, then move away before you're assimilated into the local 'customs'.

Kind Regards

Rugby - yes, but personally I wouldnt live there. Odd place.
Corby - no. Avoid like the plague. Basildon of the midlands.

I wasn't advocating living there (I know Corby is a dump, plus it's full of omuthy ex pat Weegies who moved there for the steelworks). I just remembered it's now got a spanking new fast line into London!

Cheers Dave, The youngest is 23 and He lives in Manchester !

As for mates, we don't actually have that many... I can't actually remember the last time we went out with anyone other than the two girls who live in Southend and a couple of their mates.

Well in that case the kids in my eys are not an issue. Any of them could get the chance in there working career to go away and work somewhere else. Are they going to stop and think. Better not take this chance in a lifetime as would miss Mum and Dad.....Would you want them too? I am guessing not.

Moving nearer to MK might make you into a lefty. Oooops too late.

Discuss it with the kids im sure they will accept your decision. Not sure how old the kids are but as they get older you will probably see less of them anyway.

I wouldn’t worry about and improved retirement as you can't be sure you will make it anyway. Live for today mate. Not worth making things harder for yourselves now so you can reap the rewards IF you live long enough. Negative attitude I know, but ive seen plenty of people scrimp and scrape for a retirement they never have.

I lived in Leicester for 3 years whilst at uni, it's got some good parts, and some rough parts... but all in all I really liked the city. Make sure you do the train a few times before you buy your seaso, because I do the trains loads (sheffield-leicester-st pan) and would consider a First Class one.

reading the Rons Blog thread struck a bit of a nerve.

Mrs FS is currently in an interim position above her substantive post and looked in line to get the position permanently, however a change in the board has put that in a bit of doubt.
She would find it very difficult to return to the substantive post, given the circumstances and the extra money (around 20% more) has come in rather handy. She has seen a very similar role elsewhere and applied.

But its in Leicester...

I can commute if we were to move south of Leicester so I can keep my job (just the train fares and travelling time will double) but their are other pro's and cons

Cons: 2 of our 4 kids still live in the Southend area
Her elderly Mum lives in Southend (but will not be alone as her Brother also does)
We will not get to as many home games

Pro's
We would be able to afford to live in a nice rural location
The money is even more than her current interim role which would give a chance to build up a bit of a nestegg for our retirement (which is only 15 years away)
We would be able to get to more away games
We would be closer to two of the kids than we are now.
She will have less distance to travel to work

(BTW Mrs FS earns more than me)

So fellow zoners ,a couple of questions:
If your 50 yr old parents who have always lived near you moved away would you get the hump ?
Will we become lesser supporters ?
Should we be considering the potential short term cons to have a better retirement
Will I be too close to MK ?

Even I feel that I am to close that old ****!!!

I would say "do it".

I would consider keeping the property in Thorpe Bay, and letting it out.

Then rent, or buy, something smaller up north.

Back