• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperton

Manager
Now, before today i thought give him the benefit of the doubt, is he just an excited writer blah blah blah.

But after reading todays echo i think the bloke is just really trying to stir the **** up between club and supporters. Most of you who have read his article will understand this point of view but for the ones who dont/cant buy the echo heres a few snippits:

1, We cannot afford the fee for Micheal Raynes the alledge 50k, well to put you straight Chris, we can afford the alledged 50k but what Ron on behalf of the club is doing is trying to get the best deal he can.

2, We have been outbid by the likes of swindon and brighton for robinson, well if you cared to think about what you write you would know we were not outbid by either clubs (brighton new rich owner), we just would not be and can not afford to be dragged into a bidding war for an average player imo, who also our manager thought wasnt worth the fee they were asking.

3, Colchester have made 4 signings and we a lagging behind a club who survive on lower gates, you donkey, who cares about col u, they have a rich owner too and spending loads last season really helped them didnt it??

4, Fans frustrated by Dragging up freebies from Estonia and Holland, we are not man utd which you and some others think, if it just so happens these turn out good its another great move by Tilly and his team and some more money saved. I am not frustrated by free signings and back any player who pulls on our beloved blue shirt.

All this in one short article!

I know Mr Phillips does visit this board (fact) so when you read this chris please try and be positive and print facts not made up fiction on hearsay.

I know you have to sell papers, so please dont make stop buying it!

Last edited:
i do not buy this need to put a bad spin on all things Southend united related because i don't know anyone who takes anything mr Phillips writes seriously. its not even chip paper.

to reaffirm my post of a couple of days ago:

i hate the echo

I actually thought that summary by CP actually was fairly balanced, unlike some of the other stuff that has been written over the past few weeks/months.

Sums up a lot of my thoughts/feelings just now anyway!

2, We have been outbid by the likes of swindon and brighton for robinson, well if you cared to think about what you write you would know we were not outbid by either clubs (brighton new rich owner), we just would not be and can not afford to be dragged into a bidding war for an average player imo, who also our manager thought wasnt worth the fee they were asking.
To be fair, your description sounds like we were outbid by Swindon and Brighton.

Not sure why you're unhappy about that one.

Now, before today i thought give him the benefit of the doubt, is he just an excited writer blah blah blah.

But after reading todays echo i think the bloke is just really trying to stir the **** up between club and supporters. Most of you who have read his article will understand this point of view but for the ones who dont/cant buy the echo heres a few snippits:

1, We cannot afford the fee for Micheal Raynes the alledge 50k, well to put you straight Chris, we can afford the alledged 50k but what Ron on behalf of the club is doing is trying to get the best deal he can.

3, Colchester have made 4 signings and we a lagging behind a club who survive on lower gates, you donkey, who cares about col u, they have a rich owner too and spending loads last season really helped them didnt it??

4, Fans frustrated by Dragging up freebies from Estonia and Holland, we are not man utd which you and some others think, if it just so happens these turn out good its another great move by Tilly and his team and some more money saved. I am not frustrated by free signings and back any player who pulls on our beloved blue shirt.

All this in one short article!

I know Mr Phillips does visit this board (fact) so when you read this chris please try and be positive and print facts not made up fiction on hearsay.

I know you have to sell papers, so please dont make stop buying it!

My thoughts exactly when I read the article as well.

A few things just don't compute here.

We bid £100K for Robinson. It hardly makes sense to say we can't afford £50K for Raynes then, does it?

There is no point paying over inflated prices for over rated players. Far better to get free agents from abroad or free transfers from here. That's simply good business.

I suspect there may be a futher rift between paper and club developing. It's slightly different if they were publishing the views of a fan who'd written in rather than their sports journalist.

To be fair, your description sounds like we were outbid by Swindon and Brighton.

Not sure why you're unhappy about that one.

Because we weren't mugs enough to pay what watford wanted. Not the spin that Mr Phillips put on it, is it?

I haven't read the article, but CJ said he didn't like the fact Phillips reported it as we've been outbid by Swindon and Brighton, which we blatantly have.

I believe that if Tilly had rated Robinson at 250k Ron may have pushed the boat out and bid up to that, we were NOT outbid, we just refused to become a player in a game in money ping pong where an average player was being punted for a lot more that he is worth.

We spent 200k on paynter, since then financial gain has been more lucrative ie cup runs, plyers sold etc, so if Tilly had valued Theo at that we would have tried harder to sign him imo. Tilly saw what most of us saw theo is not worth all our transfer budget or massive chunk of it.

Money is available at Southend, no one knows how much except the people who matter, whats the point in telling the world we have 250k to spend who can we have!!!

Last edited:
I am never disappointed when we sign freebies from abroad - they add a touch of continental glamour even if they turn out to be absolute pony.

It is freebies from this country that upset me.

I have always thought Chris Phillips is a true supporter of Southend United first and foremost. His negativity, moaning and sniping at the club only cements my view.

To be fair to Chris, he is likely to have a number of sources within the club so his comments may be more accurate than we think.

I have always thought Chris Phillips is a true supporter of Southend United first and foremost. His negativity, moaning and sniping at the club only cements my view.

Surely he has to do what sells most papers. If slating Southend sells more than praising them, then he is just doing his job.

To be fair to Chris, he is likely to have a number of sources within the club so his comments may be more accurate than we think.

Possibly... although the previous criticism levelled at him by Ron might suggest otherwise.

Nothing like a nice balanced article is there?

Unfortunately all he is doing is echoing (ha ha) some of the c0bblers that's posted on here.

Wouldn't mind but Geoff King explained exactly what the situation was yesterday didn't he?

At the end of the day, the Echo and Chris Philips have a job to do. They have to shift newspapers. Whether thats through the truth or not is another story.

At the end of the day more copies of the Echo would have been shifted by saying we couldn't afford to match Raynes transfer fee than we are haggling the price down.

I take everything from the echo with a pinch of salt.

Surely he has to do what sells most papers. If slating Southend sells more than praising them, then he is just doing his job.

That's the sad truth about journalism. It should be about accurate, insightful writing rather than having an agenda / angle first and 'story' second.

I haven't read the article, but CJ said he didn't like the fact Phillips reported it as we've been outbid by Swindon and Brighton, which we blatantly have.

I think the point is that he makes it sound that we were simply outbid (i.e. we didn't bid high enough to get him), when in fact we weren't even in the running at that level for the player because Watfords valuation was simply way, way above what we thought he was worth.

There is a difference.

Back