• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mr Henry Winterbone (HARRY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROXY2468

My husband has been a groundsman at Southend for nearly 40yrs and 1/2 of those years were unpaid. He came in every weekday for about 5/6hrs. He would spray, clear litter mend machinery and be helpful to staff and players alike. He is 80yrs old and has also had a stroke, did that stop him, no he was there day in and day out. NOW!! thanx to the new chief executive he has been told to leave, but it was not him who told him, he passed that job onto another staff member who knows him well. All I can say is a big THANK YOU because now after working all his life, this has shortened the rest of it as he will now be totally lost without something to do. Hope you proud of yourself.

Sorry to hear this, sometimes a job, albeit a sometimes un-paid one, can be a lifeline for some people.
Age shouldn't be a barrier, and especially in these Covid times an outdoor job, can provide a reason to get up in the morning.
Mental health too, for someone who does like being indoors/

Perhaps you could suggest that Mr. Winterbone attends on an advisory capacity for the summer at least, to ease him out of the situation (i'm not sure whether the club would agree)

If it’s who I think it is, doesn’t he own most of the machinery and tools that all the ground staff use ?

Very sorry to hear that Roxy. What a sad first post from you as well. Not your fault, it shouldn't be this way. There's always 2 sides to a story, and I'd like to hear the clubs reasoning for letting someone go that has gone well beyond the call of duty. And I'd like to know why he was given the bad news in such a way. It's not looking good on the clubs side, as if Harry has worked unpaid for half of the hours he worked at the club, for nearly 40 years, then he's an absolute unsung hero, and should be treated like one. The club should stand by him as a very special case. Time for the club to give something back to your husband, and let him stay on, even at reduced hours, as it's clear he does it for love, not money.

What an awful way to treat a loyal fan who has dedicated to much of his life to the club he loves. Thanks for letting us know Roxy.
I’d really like to know the reason for this decision.

As the clubs fan base there must be something that we can do to bring our displeasure to Ron’s attention?

This season is going to turn into a circus again. The way good people are treated like this is down right awful! Makes me ashamed to be a Southend supporter in all honesty

Dreadful way to treat anyone let alone someone so loyal. A joke of a club sinking to even lower depths. There should be a petition to get him reinstated. Shameful from RM absolute disgrace.

What an awful way to treat a loyal fan who has dedicated to much of his life to the club he loves. Thanks for letting us know Roxy.

As the clubs fan base there must be something that we can do to bring our displeasure to Ron’s attention?
He is a liability especially due to his age. But, they haven't paid him for the latter 20yrs so what is the problem. I shall tell you my thoughts on that, if they kept him on and something happened he could sue them ha bloody ha, Harry isn't like that he is a decent, honest gentleman. All he wants is for a peaceful end to his life and if that means not retiring and relaxing, then he SHOULD be allowed that little pleasure.

Maybe the Shrimpers Trust can raise this matter with Tom Lawrence at their next meeting.

He is a liability especially due to his age. But, they haven't paid him for the latter 20yrs so what is the problem. I shall tell you my thoughts on that, if they kept him on and something happened he could sue them ha bloody ha, Harry isn't like that he is a decent, honest gentleman. All he wants is for a peaceful end to his life and if that means not retiring and relaxing, then he SHOULD be allowed that little pleasure.
The club has no obligation to provide a hobby to an octogenarian if they believe it creates an unnecessary risk.

It may have been insurance reasons he was let go / asked not to come in anymore. I'm sure an OAP and gardening machinery would bump up the premiums. On the plus side it will mean he can spend more time with you rather than tending the pitch at Roots Hall / Boots and Laces.

If he really wants a challenge he can tackle my lawn. More lumps and bumps than the Alps and whilst it looks green closer inspection reveals a mix of mainly clover and moss.

I’m sorry that Harry and Roxy feel he has been badly treated, however we’ve been crying out for a CEO to run our club professionally and now we have one let’s let him do his job.

We’ve only heard one side of the story here so let’s not jump to conclusions.

Unfortunately there had to be some tough love by Tom on many things that used to be ‘acceptable’ when there was no structure or order in place .
many people around the club without a job title or a ‘manager’ without actually managing people .
let’s make it clear it’s not the individuals fault , it’s just how things have evolved in a bit of a loose structure .

it seems a business decision rather than an emotional one and that is not inline with what our little family club should be about , whilst I understand the decision it should/coukd of been done in a bit more sympathetic way .
I hope Harry can fill the void left and doesn’t dwell on this too much as he sounds a very loyal and honorable man

Running a club 'professionally' does not have to equate with calloua and brutal decision making to the detriment of a long serving and loyal employee. Whatever would the supporters who helped create Roots Hall way back think of this. A small club like SUFC should try to develop close links to the community, not alienate and antagonise those who seek to help it.

It’s obviously a sad situation for him but I’d imagine it comes down to insurance. If he’s not paid or registered as an employee then the club would be liable should he injure himself, just as if a fan managed to get into the groundsman’s shed on a match day and hurt them self the club would be liable.

The CEO is from a legal background and is obviously protecting the club.

As for not firing him himself, if I was to be fired I wouldn’t be by my CEO it would be my line manager which is what it kind of sounds like has happened here.

He should be rewarded for his service to the club, but there’s obvious reason for him being told he can’t help anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back