• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mr Philips tweeted that the player brown met with yesterday is a winger who can play left or right wings
but has a year left on contract .
Can you really see big Ron paying out money to get these players in

Just because he has a year on his contract doesn't mean there would necessarily be a fee.....current club may want him off the wage bill if he isn't in their plans for this season. I guess it comes down to how many clubs show an interest. If he's a hot property then his current club may be able to wangle a fee (in which case he's unliklely to be coming here!) If no-one else shows interest it could still be a free transfer.

Mr Philips tweeted that the player brown met with yesterday is a winger who can play left or right wings
but has a year left on contract .
Can you really see big Ron paying out money to get these players in

Ron must of given PB the ok - or why would he waste his time?
:unsure:

Do we really need another winger? I thought PB said in his interview on Friday that he was meeting with TWO players yesterday though - hopefully the other was a striker or a CB.

Do we really need another winger? I thought PB said in his interview on Friday that he was meeting with TWO players yesterday though - hopefully the other was a striker or a CB.

Yes we do. If one got injured we would have no cover

We certainly do need another wide player, not even just for injuries either.

Most games tactical substitutions are made to attacking players, with only two wide men we have no one to ever bring on.

I think we should remember that PB preferred line up is 433
Hence thinking of it in terms of wingers in the 442 sense doesn't always work
Hurst was thought of just as a winger because he had not scored that many player nearly always in a 442- when he went into the front 3 it was a big difference.
Fagan has largely be deployed on the right wing in a 442, although he has stated a preference as a striker. Where he has played as an outright striker he has scored and at a higher level. It has been stated in the past that he particularly thrived in a 433 - maybe he is particularly suited to that and our style- maybe not.
A striker who is a box man thriving of a bigger central striker whilst very suited to a 442 would struggle to get a game in a 433
A winger with pace with a eye for goal and probably 3 minimum is a pre requisite for 433

I think we should remember that PB preferred line up is 433
Hence thinking of it in terms of wingers in the 442 sense doesn't always work
Hurst was thought of just as a winger because he had not scored that many player nearly always in a 442- when he went into the front 3 it was a big difference.
Fagan has largely be deployed on the right wing in a 442, although he has stated a preference as a striker. Where he has played as an outright striker he has scored and at a higher level. It has been stated in the past that he particularly thrived in a 433 - maybe he is particularly suited to that and our style- maybe not.
A striker who is a box man thriving of a bigger central striker whilst very suited to a 442 would struggle to get a game in a 433
A winger with pace with a eye for goal and probably 3 minimum is a pre requisite for 433

One problem we have is the use of Corr and Barnard. I do not see them both fitting in to a 4-3-3 at the same time but I dont particularly want to see either as the main lone striker which even in 4-3-3 there is invariably a more recognised striker.

So that probably means that they will only get to play together if things are not going our way in a match and PB wants to change to 4-4-2. A scenario which ensures either one of them is a potential benchwarmer in most games. If either are happy with that then something is amiss.

Corr certainly can really only play the centre of a 433, Barnard fully fit could I think play down the middle or either side- but I think it means we don't need another target man but quicker players who can play either side of Corr or Barnard

One problem we have is the use of Corr and Barnard. I do not see them both fitting in to a 4-3-3 at the same time but I dont particularly want to see either as the main lone striker which even in 4-3-3 there is invariably a more recognised striker.

So that probably means that they will only get to play together if things are not going our way in a match and PB wants to change to 4-4-2. A scenario which ensures either one of them is a potential benchwarmer in most games. If either are happy with that then something is amiss.

This !

BUT

Barry and Lee as the front pairing IMO will be ghastly to say the least,IF Phil is still here he needs to rethink his tactics ASAP!

This !

BUT

Barry and Lee as the front pairing IMO will be ghastly to say the least,IF Phil is still here he needs to rethink his tactics ASAP!

I am really sorry mrsblue but I agree with your point. Both can do a job up front with pace/mobility next to them but not together.

After centre-half it should be our biggest priority.

I am really sorry mrsblue but I agree with your point. Both can do a job up front with pace/mobility next to them but not together.

Did you mean agree or disagree?

I meant both playing at the same time as the front 2.

Brown seems to favour 3 attacking players rather than 2 forwards so doubt we will see Corr/Barnard together.

Brown seems to favour 3 attacking players rather than 2 forwards so doubt we will see Corr/Barnard together.

Which is my point. One or the other is going to have the prospect of a season only coming off the bench. From a historical perspective I believe Corr will get the nod the majority of times and doubt Barnard has not figured that out. So LB becomes the new FE and a bit part player? Lacks belief and ambition for me.

Which is my point. One or the other is going to have the prospect of a season only coming off the bench. From a historical perspective I believe Corr will get the nod the majority of times and doubt Barnard has not figured that out. So LB becomes the new FE and a bit part player? Lacks belief and ambition for me.

Lee Barnard was brought in during January, rumoured not even by Brown, and looks like we promised him a deal back then . He may well come good after a pre-season but either way we are looking for other players anyway so not sure why thats deemed a lack of ambition.

According to you England played with 4 forwards and Southend play with 3 strikers!

Sorry JM I have not seen much evidence of the above.

According to you England played with 4 forwards and Southend play with 3 strikers!

Sorry JM I have not seen much evidence of the above.

Sterling/Sturridge/Rooney/Wellbeck
Hurst/Corr/Straker.

Phill Brown has stated on numerous occassions we play 3 forwards.

In both systems attacking players have defensive duties.

Dont let facts get in the way though.

Lee Barnard was brought in during January, rumoured not even by Brown, and looks like we promised him a deal back then . He may well come good after a pre-season but either way we are looking for other players anyway so not sure why thats deemed a lack of ambition.

Lack of ambition on the part of the player. Any player at 29 who still has the desire to play must surely question the odds/opportunity in PB's set up.

I know you subscribe to/defend PB's assertion that he likes three forward players but I fear;
a) two of the three forward players in his set ups have not been scoring characters despite Hurst having a golden season. Strakes was a promoted left back. they may need to be defensive too but unless you are going to look to them for goals you are reliant on the one remaining forward, normally Corr.

b) The set up failed. We did not go up.

c) a squad of 20 players is always going to struggle at this level. As we saw last year the players who performed so well when the pitches were good, struggled on the winter surfaces which lg 2 produces. Therefore you need a few extra, more versatile bodies that can come in and do the business when the initial, preferred tactics are invalidated.

Back