• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Multiculturalism in Germany

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-germany-multiculturalism-failures

I remember saying to an IE Lecturer who declared to me (back in the early 90's)that Britain was now a multicultural society, that I wished it was, but I didn't think that this was true.
It could well be that the debate in Germany will re-ignite this discussion.

German multiculturalism hasn't failed as utterly as their previous attempt at German uniculturalism (1939-1945).

Last time I went there you could buy a doner from any high street and if that isn't multiculturalism I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Sigh grandiose nonsense (as pointed out no extrapolation on causes or nature of failure ) . Their re integration of East German's wa sthat a failure ;). Civilisation cannot exisit with out multipule cultures . It's a reaction to an erosion of a world view .

Her own labour minister contradicts what she says about minister Ursula von der Leyen, a member of Merkel's party, has said it was an illusion to believe people were queuing up to enter Germany."For several years more people have been leaving our country than entering it," she said in an interview. "Wherever it is possible, we must lower the entry hurdles for those who bring the country forward."

Sigh , and not only that their trying to steal our title here !! If Germany did not revise its immigration policies, he said, it was in danger of becoming "the world's welfare office".

Money and economic change are coming and moving East (or down to Brazil ). It's reactionary , dangerous in some cases, rhetoric .

The quotes at the bottom of the articulate are laughable .

I think this articulte fro mteh BBC will help peopel but the above issues in Germany and our own into context
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11553099

Last edited:
This is obviously a reaction to the fact that they didn't win the last World Cup. Isn't their team full of Turkish nationals?

This is obviously a reaction to the fact that they didn't win the last World Cup. Isn't their team full of Turkish nationals?

Only the good ones. Khedira/Oezil are Turks, Klose/Podolski are Poles.

Quite a few coming through the ranks that are dual-nationality as well... Aaron Hunt has an English mother, Marko Marin is from one of the Balkan states and I think the Kroos brothers are of Danish ancestory.

Only the good ones. Khedira/Oezil are Turks, Klose/Podolski are Poles.

Quite a few coming through the ranks that are dual-nationality as well... Aaron Hunt has an English mother, Marko Marin is from one of the Balkan states and I think the Kroos brothers are of Danish ancestory.

Also Mario Gomez, who has an american mother.

I think the Germans have a bit of a cheek complaining about immigrants when you consider that Adolf Hitler was born in Austria.

Last edited:
Good on them for actually speaking up about it. I suspect its the same all over the world but so we dont offend anyone we cant talk about it.

Aside from ignoring migration for environmental reasons, civilisation for the last ooh shall we say 10,000 years . And the flow of commerce which tends to make cultures merge inter relate and cultural exchange (never mind wars of conquest and empire building that tends to make cultures gel or supersede one or the other) . I think is talk tosh .

Also amuses me he talks about Americans ? Is that the native tribes or the European settlers who didn't want to share their culture ;).

What Chancellor M is really saying is " My world view and beliefs are challenged in a way i don;t like , they my be a chace they could vanish , let me react and make a vauge statement about a possible future consequence , that i have no way of knowing will come about but in these economic times can win me political points"

Ill be honest im more concerned with the energy and water crisis that may well be hitting in the next few years , sod this national identity/cultural erosion.

Back