• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Munich air crash

Aberdeen Shrimper

February 6th sees the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash which killed 23people, including eight players and three Club officials.

I just want to pay my tribute to them

3959067468a6794628287l.jpg

It was announced that Manchester United would wear a replica of their 1958 kit in the Manchester derby in on Sunday to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. The kit will feature no sponsors or squad numbers - numbered instead simply 1 to 11 in the old style Manchester City will also wear a special kit for the game, with the addition of black armbands and the removal of their sponsor's branding. Originally, a minute's silence was not to have been observed on the day, due to the Football Association's fears that the silence would not be respected by fans of Manchester United's rivals. However, they then agreed that a minute's silence should be held.

On Wednesday night, the England play Switzerland at Wembley Stadium. Before the game, images of the players who lost their lives at Munich will be displayed on big screens, and England players will wear black armbands.

Don’t know how true it is but someone once told me that the Clock at Old Trafford actually stopped at the very minute that the crash happened.....not sure if that is true or not

Good call AS ... i do hope the silences at Wembley and OT are respected .. unfortunately i don't hold out much hope that they will be :(

Last edited:
yes must have been absolutley awful, I hope this and im sure it will be, will be taken as seriously as possible. I Know many of you hate United I infact admire them, and it just shows the charecter of such a huge club to bounce back from such a disater

No sadly I'd have thought there's little hope of every Man City fan keeping quiet. The players are also wearing plain black boots instead of the normal blue, orange, yellow, white etc

Apparently many of the players from both sides have requested plain black boots without any brand names on them, which whilst is a small gesture is at least proof that some footballers aren't money driven arseholes all the time.

yes must have been absolutley awful, I hope this and im sure it will be, will be taken as seriously as possible. I Know many of you hate United I infact admire them, and it just shows the charecter of such a huge club to bounce back from such a disater

Exactly the way i feel, what they achieved after all that heart ache has truely made them a club i admire only for their spirit and togetherness.

I tend to think people from both sides of the divide will respect this, after all it wasn't just Man U players who died but journalists and local ones at that, amongst others. I hope this is one of those rare moments in football where petty rivalries are forgotten.

It will ceratinly be respected by everyone in attendance at Wembley on Wednesday, and it will be very poignant at that. I would also suspect it will be observed by 99.9% of City fans as well at OT. The 0.1% who don't will be kept in check by those that do, I would have thought.

I tend to think people from both sides of the divide will respect this, after all it wasn't just Man U players who died but journalists and local ones at that, amongst others. I hope this is one of those rare moments in football where petty rivalries are forgotten.

Could not agree more....I know that it has been heated on here over the last few days with rivals and what transpired after the Orient game but to be fair...we will be talking about a whole host of other topics in a weeks time were as the tragedy that happened 50 years ago is beyond comprehension and all rivalry no matter what should be put to one side to be able to honour the memories of those who lost there lives.

But like others i have this really horrible feeling that during the silence there will be the few that will spoil it.

Last edited:

Indeed one of the journalists who died - Frank Swift - was a former City player.

Plenty of people die every day in tragic circumstances.

That's the way I look at it.

And they are all remembered by the people who lost them.
The munich disaster was a football related accident which is why so many fans can relate to it on a wider scale. imagine if we lost 8 of our first teamers over night! Hmm maybe thats a silly thing to say judging by the standard of some of our squad :o

I hardly ever hear mention of the 1948? air crash which completely wiped out the dominant Torino team of the mid to late-40's in Italy. A side, it is oft-quoted, who were probably the best in the world at that time, and had arguably much better players than Man U had at the time of the Munich aircrash.

I hardly ever hear mention of the 1948? air crash which completely wiped out the dominant Torino team of the mid to late-40's in Italy. A side, it is oft-quoted, who were probably the best in the world at that time, and had arguably much better players than Man U had at the time of the Munich aircrash.

I bet in Italy it is mentioned.

As were the Zambian National team in the 90's.

Back to the original point I hope this anniversary is treated with the full respect it deserves.

Southend Celebrate.. something something 58?

Where did this come from?

Back