• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Music Southend have run out to

joeheadland

Full Back
Hello everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).
Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Southend have run out to for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Southend ran out to this. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time,

Joe Headland

The music at Roots Hall is almost without exception absolute pony.

I did like Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation that was played when we scored mainly because the motif was ripped from the Commodore 64 version of the game Lazy Jones.

Last edited:
As an Alumnus of the University of Sheffield, I'll be sensible...back in the glory days circa 2004-2006 just before the teams came out and the announcer declared that they were in the tunnel, an extract from Bolero (Closing Credits) by Steve Sharples (the music for the closing credits of the film Moulin Rouge) used to play. Myself and my then girlfriend liked it so much that we had it at our wedding in 2006, playing as we entered the hall via the grand staircase. They don't use it any more at the football, we are now divorced, and the team is struggling. Maybe they should bring it back!

Last edited:
i remember us also late 60s,running out to the Spencer Davies ...keep on running.
Here in Nürnberg,the had for many years...Status Quo... What ever you want....they let the beat-drums play a bit longer,so the fans would all start clapping.Then as the players came out,they would play the song itself and the FANS would sing along.
Nowadays,there is little atmospere in English grounds. Just have to watch Arsenal,Chelsea,Man City etc on tv,sadly we seem to have more spectators than FANS in our stadiums

Back