• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/nov/25/small-venues-survive-forum-tunbridge-feature

What's your favourite(small) music venue and why?

Mine certainly used to be La Boîte in Barcelona,which closed down here a few years back.It was a fantastic small cellar bar run by a couple of brothers,who clearly knew and loved the music business.I've seen all sorts of Blues artists perform there including the late,great Jimmy Rogers and Clarence Gatemouth Brown.Tremendous atmosphere,where even if you stood at the bar, you were only a few feet away from the action on stage.People talk about the old Zeleste here(and I've seen the Feelgoods and Buddy Guy and Junior Wells there)but that still didn't compare for me.

As far as the current scene goes,much as I like the Bikini,Sala Apolo(currently closed by court order)and Luz de Gas, my favourite venue would probably have to be the Teatre Zorilla in Badalona.It's a small Edwardian theatre,which hosts an annual Blues i Ritmes festival.Some great acts have appeared there in recent years,including Nick Cave,Mavis Staples and Randy Newman.Also Etta James and Gil Scott-Heron back in the day.
Nick Lowe and Ladysmith Black Mombassa will be appearing there next April.

Over to you.

Last edited:
Stables - MK. Owned by Johnny Dankworth/Cleo Laine. Very small venue that hosts established and up and coming music acts and comedy acts.

Camden Roundhouse was great when I saw the Manics. Brixton Academy always used to be the fave back in the day.

Colchester Arts Centre (the only good thing about Colchester).

Islington Mill in Salford

Queen's Social Club in Sheffield

Colchester Arts Centre (the only good thing about Colchester).

Islington Mill in Salford

Queen's Social Club in Sheffield

That the converted church? If so only been there once to see Simon and Oscar from Ocean Colour Scene do an acoustic gig and it was brilliant.

Union Chapel in Islington is pretty special. I saw a Syd Barrett tribute show there a few years agao and a Patrick Wolf show there too i think, anyway it's under threat as a music venue & homeless shelter due to new housing being built behind it.

ULU is a great little venue, tucked away on the 3rd(?) floor of the university building, I've seen a few bands there inc a Conor Oberst solo show that remains one of my best gigs ever and Mclusky's ever last gig.

If I was at home and had my big list of every gig I've ever been to, to hand (yes I am that sad) I could add more. Seeing bands in small venues like The Esplanade/Chinnery's/The Railway at close quarters will always be better than big venues, more atmosphere, more connection.

Oh and MK, The Roundhouse isn't a little venue, medium I'd say (similar to the Cliffs) and Brixton is pretty damn big (6,000?). I've heard good things over the years about the Stables though.

That the converted church? If so only been there once to see Simon and Oscar from Ocean Colour Scene do an acoustic gig and it was brilliant.

Yes it is, it's an excellent venue and seen some fantastic gigs there. It's a shame Southend doesn't have somewhere similar where gigs and performing arts are encouraged.

Drastic™;1458844 said:
Union Chapel in Islington is pretty special. I saw a Syd Barrett tribute show there a few years agao and a Patrick Wolf show there too i think, anyway it's under threat as a music venue & homeless shelter due to new housing being built behind it.

ULU is a great little venue, tucked away on the 3rd(?) floor of the university building, I've seen a few bands there inc a Conor Oberst solo show that remains one of my best gigs ever and Mclusky's ever last gig.

"Saw" Rage Against the Machine there during their first UK gig and I couldn't even get in the room :hilarious:

Probably my all time favourite venue is the Garage at Highbury, although special mentions to the 100 club (Tottenham Court Road?) and the Spitz.

Saw so many great bands at the Garage, and they used to have Rosa Mota as a more or less permanent support there - great band.

Probably my all time favourite venue is the Garage at Highbury, although special mentions to the 100 club (Tottenham Court Road?) and the Spitz.

Saw so many great bands at the Garage, and they used to have Rosa Mota as a more or less permanent support there - great band.

Saw a TRB NYE reunion gig there a few years back.Great venue as you say.

Shangri-La above The Railway near Southend Central is really good.

I went there on a Friday night in December 2 years ago when only nutters were out as everywhere was snowbound. I'd driven from Cornwall (breaking the journey up via Torquay overnight) so it took one to recognise a few. The nutters in the bar downstairs were dancing to music on the jukebox at 7pm and The Shangri-La is well organised by local musician Tom Burgess who'd got Jackie Leven to play there. Good acoustics, good bar, great nutters. You can't say fairer than that.

Drastic™;1458844 said:
Oh and MK, The Roundhouse isn't a little venue, medium I'd say (similar to the Cliffs) and Brixton is pretty damn big (6,000?). I've heard good things over the years about the Stables though.

Good point fella. I'm struggling to think of any others though, it's been ages since I saw anyone live and my memory is going. :omg:

For very biased reasons I saw some quality bands down the Royal Hotel in Southend, dingy basement 6 1/2 foot tall ceilings and if the band was right it went right off, great memories.

Shout to the Astoria as well. So many decent gigs in there as well, god rest that club's soul.

For very biased reasons I saw some quality bands down the Royal Hotel in Southend, dingy basement 6 1/2 foot tall ceilings and if the band was right it went right off, great memories.

Shout to the Astoria as well. So many decent gigs in there as well, god rest that club's soul.
I saw level 42 and morrisey mullen down the royal ...that was a few years ago:sad:

Devoran Village Hall - the venue of Mrs C`s Devoran Acoustic Sessions - shameless plug:- next years bookings so far include the Bully Wee Band, Jim Moray and Martin Carthy

Back