• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Music videos, films, tv progs

David Essex

Coach
Thought id start a thread which could become the definitive guide for Southend caught on camera. Ill open it with the Morrissey video for the song "Everyday is like Sunday" this is filmed entireley around Southend sea front with great views of the pier.

There was that film produced in the late 70s which featured, amongst other things, two lead kids arranging a fight outside the North Bank gates at Roots Hall; the name of the film, as always, escapes me! The play-fight goes wrong and one of the kids get stabbed. The police-car / ambulance then does a tour of Southend to get to the hospital (which, as we all knows, is just up Prittlewell Chase)!

Bad Manners filmed their part of their video for "Walking in the Sunshine" at the old band stand at the top of the Cliffs. (other footage came from Weston-Super-Mare).

The production of 'Mike Bassett:England Manager' used Roots Hall, probably due to the fact that Andy Ansah was a technical consultant.

Goldfinger flies to Europe from Southend Airport in the James Bond film of the same name. Watch Bond tracking Goldfinger after he places a device at the golf club; there is a map of Southend.

Southend's "lucrative Esctacy trade" was featured in the awful film Essex Boys, the owner of Bar Central apparently getting all hormonal about unauthorised filming in his venue.

The 60s TV series 'The Prisoner' used the Kursaal in one of its episodes.

There were many, many productions that used the old Horseshoe Barracks on the Old Ranges in Shoeburyness; I used to work there and there always seems to be a film crew scurrying around the barracks.

Oh, and Eastenders, of course ...

Well Xabia...Think that covers everything !! that fim you refer to is called "Bloody Kids"....Okay lets expand it to songs that mention southend ill put in Oranges and Lemons by Suggs and Jools Holland theres a reference to Southend on sea

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 05 2006,08:54)]The production of 'Mike Bassett:England Manager' used Roots Hall, probably due to the fact that Andy Ansah was a technical consultant.

........... from Southend Airport
Also is there not footage of Southend Airport in MB:EM, either when they depart for/arrive in Brazil for the World Cup?

Anyone know when the dream team episode that was filmed at the begining of the season is due on the box ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (David Essex @ Oct. 05 2006,09:01)]Okay lets expand it to songs that mention southend
Sheriff Fatman bu Carter USM namechecks Leigh on Sea and Southend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (David Essex @ Oct. 05 2006,10:01)]Well Xabia...Think that covers everything !! that fim you refer to is called "Bloody Kids"....
That's the bugger! I had "Pesky Kids" (Scooby Doo?!), "Damn Kids" ... I remember vaguely being in the East Stand and looking down at the action outside; someone pin-pointed the exact game a few months ago but I can't remember ... it's too early! I last saw it about four years ago when Leeboy (top man!) provided a copy; the film is a dull as dishwater but in 1979 (being 12) I thought it was the nuts!

I'm fairly certain that an OMD video (Walking on the Milky Way?) was filmed in Southend.

A13 Trunk Road to the Sea by Billy Bragg

If you ever have to go to Shoeburyness
Take the A road, the okay road that's the best
Go motorin' on the A13

If you're looking for a thrill that's new
Take in Fords, Dartford Tunnel and the river too
Go motorin' on the A13

It starts down in Wapping
There ain't no stopping
By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham
Down to Grays Thurrock
And rather near Basildon
Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea,
Chalkwell, Prittlewell
Southend's the end

Go motorin' on the A13

The Bill as I remember saw Reg hollis cavorting with some bint alongside that copper who burnt sun Hill down.

Eastenders of corurse where Robbie gets hooked up with some slag from the arcade amusements.

the bill filmed a couple of times..

and the documentary in 2002/2003 football fight club..

Ther was of course My SUFC by Terry recalling his goal keeping days........Love the Al Moyet quote in the song Blue "Can we not by someone famous or pull a crowd we cant contain" my how those words have become inspirational for RM.

Ah just remembered the original "Mark" off Eastenders.....he disappeared and went to work on the Go carts in the the old amusement park down by the pier

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Oct. 05 2006,09:27)]Eastenders of corurse where Robbie gets hooked up with some slag from the arcade amusements.
That's the bird in Travis' video for "Turn", I thought she was OK in a grungey rough bird sort of way
oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 05 2006,09:10)]A13 Trunk Road to the Sea by Billy Bragg

Go motorin' on the A13

If you're looking for a thrill that's new
Take in Fords, Dartford Tunnel and the river too
Go motorin' on the A13

It starts down in Wapping
There ain't no stopping
By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham
Down to Grays Thurrock
And rather near Basildon
Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea,
Chalkwell, Prittlewell
Southend's the end

Go motorin' on the A13
Mike - do you know what Bragg album that song is available on? I'd really like to own it.

the toy dolls- the sphinx stinks

The grub was vile, we couldn't crack a smile
We paid twenty smackers just to sail up the nile
It cos ten quid..
To get stuck inside a pppppyramid.

I'd rather be in Hawaii, Cleethorpes or Southend
You won't catch us on the Egypt bus again again again.

The... Sphinx stinks, Sphinx stinks
They do not care on Egypt air
Sphinx stinks, Sphinx stinks
In cai i i i ro
The Sphinx stinks, Sphinx stinks
You will get ripped off in Egypt OH!

The hotel room filled us with gloom
We should O' spent the night in a mummy's tomb
A camel ride...
Another ten smackers and a numb backside.

I'd rather be in Hawaii, Cleethorpes or Southend
You won't catch us on the Egypt bus again again again.

The... Sphinx stinks, Sphinx stinks
They do not care on Egypt air
Sphinx stinks, Sphinx stinks
In cai i i i ro
The Sphinx stinks, Sphinx stinks
You will get ripped off in Egypt OH!

"A13,Trunk road to the sea" Its Billys reworking of Route 66 the track recording is very raw but great fun. You can find it on the re-release from this year Life's a riot with Spy v Spy album (bonus tracks) extra tracks were added as the original album only lasts about 15 mins........

Back