• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Muttiah Muralitharan

Murali is playing his final test for Sri Lanka, and before start of play he need 8 wickets to reach 800 wickets in Test Cricket. He took a 5fer in India's first innings and has 1 of the 5 to fall so far in their second innings. I hope he gets there, and it is possible that his total may never be surpassed.

I remember Fred Trueman taking his 300th against the convicts in 1964, and many thought that total may never be reached again. Asked afterwards if it could be beaten Fred in his laconic "Yorkshire wit" responded "Aye, but he'll be bloody kanackered".

So good luck tomorrow Murali and bow out in style.

Shrowded in controversy of whether this is an absolute genius and one of the best sportsmen to live or someone who has developed a controversial bowling technique and will not ever be accepted by some!

Good luck to him. I wish he would just carry on playing until not selected any longer!

Murali is playing his final test for Sri Lanka, and before start of play he need 8 wickets to reach 800 wickets in Test Cricket. He took a 5fer in India's first innings and has 1 of the 5 to fall so far in their second innings. I hope he gets there, and it is possible that his total may never be surpassed.

I remember Fred Trueman taking his 300th against the convicts in 1964, and many thought that total may never be reached again. Asked afterwards if it could be beaten Fred in his laconic "Yorkshire wit" responded "Aye, but he'll be bloody kanackered".

So good luck tomorrow Murali and bow out in style.

Never really know what to think of Murali.....seems like a good guy, plays with enthusiasm and helped Sri Lanka establish as a very good test playing nation. On other hand, I found the Sri Lankan's objections to umpires calling him (in Oz mainly) disgusting and feel that the laws on chucking tweaked to enable him to bowl as he was 'good for the game'.......

Good luck to him though, and another bowling attack is weakened to allow people like Trott and Bell to average far higher than the likes of Atherton and Stewart ever did.....

I want Murali to finish on 799 wickets, much like Bradman finished with an average of 99.94.

Would be a fitting end to the greatest spin bowler of the modern era.

I want Murali to finish on 799 wickets, much like Bradman finished with an average of 99.94.

Would be a fitting end to the greatest spin bowler of the modern era.

It would be a shame if he did IMO. And without wanting to reignite the argument of whether Murali or pill popping, mummy's boy, text sex pest was the best of the modern era, Murali took a heck of a lot of wickets against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe, whereas Warne barely played a test against them. Having said that Warne took a shed load of wickets against England. :'(

It would be a shame if he did IMO. And without wanting to reignite the argument of whether Murali or pill popping, mummy's boy, text sex pest was the best of the modern era, Murali took a heck of a lot of wickets against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe, whereas Warne barely played a test against them. Having said that Warne took a shed load of wickets against England. :'(

Murali took a heck of a lot of wickets against everyone.

But for the record, the three teams he took most wickets against were England, South Africa and India.

And, with the solitary exception of Pakistan, he took them cheaper against each opponent than did Warne.

Murali took a heck of a lot of wickets against everyone.

But for the record, the three teams he took most wickets against were England, South Africa and India.

And, with the solitary exception of Pakistan, he took them cheaper against each opponent than did Warne.

There was an analysis of this on cricinfo the other week, will see if I can find the link. In essence, if you took out Murali's easy pickings against Zimbabwe and bangladesh they were pretty much equal. Whether it was harder for Murali to work his way through a team as he had little wicket taking at the other end (other than Vaas) compared to Warne, who often wouldn't get to bowl until McGrath and Gillespie had prized a few out but equally were able to keep pressure on a batsman so they couldnt try to see off Warne like they might Murali is open to debate. I think you would also find space for both of them in any composite 11.

Muralitharan has the unique distinction of getting 10 or more wickets in a match against all other 9 Test playing nations as well as capturing over 50 wickets against each of them. He has also obtained 7 or more wickets in an innings against 5 nations, namely England, India, South Africa, West Indies and Zimbabwe

Muralitharan has taken five or more wickets in an innings on 67 occasions in test cricket, which is a world record. In comparison Shane Warne who is in second place has performed the feat 37 times.

:clap: Murali:clap:

There was an analysis of this on cricinfo the other week, will see if I can find the link. In essence, if you took out Murali's easy pickings against Zimbabwe and bangladesh they were pretty much equal. Whether it was harder for Murali to work his way through a team as he had little wicket taking at the other end (other than Vaas) compared to Warne, who often wouldn't get to bowl until McGrath and Gillespie had prized a few out but equally were able to keep pressure on a batsman so they couldnt try to see off Warne like they might Murali is open to debate. I think you would also find space for both of them in any composite 11.

PLaying in their respective attacks, I think it was easier for Murali to take more wickets per game, but it was easier for Warne to take wickets cheaper (although he didn't).

I'm not a great one for counting stats like the 800 wickets, it's more a mark of longevity (eg Walsh got more wickets than Ambrose, but give me Curtly Elconn Lynwall any day) than quality, although Murali clearly had both. What marks Murali out as a great isn't the number of wickets, but the cost of those wickets, which was unprecedented in the modern era.

Murali taking more wickets against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh reflects badly not on Murali, but on the ACB for not touring these countries more often (and on Warne for being a drugs cheat) to allow Warne to pad his stats, and on the likes of England and Australia for not giving Sri Lanka the full billing they richly deserve. It is an absolute disgrace that Sri Lanka aren't given a full five match series and have to take second billing behind such second rate teams as the West Indies and Australia. It should in no way diminish Murali's standing or achievements because he still outperformed Warne against every country (except Pakistan) and still achieved most of his success against the big boys.

In fact I think coverage talking about his record against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe has been very disrespectful - why haven't they been making the point that the three countries he achieved most success against were England, India and South Africa? He didn't just bash the minnows, he had most of his success against the leading lights.

ps I read that cricinfo article as well

Couldn't have written it better. Brilliant achievement.

Eric Hollies would disagree.

I think because the 1st Test was played in Galle, which I think is his home town, and he wanted to finish there.

I thought he was from Kandy.

Edit: According to cricinfo and wiki, he was born and raised in Kandy, but plays for Tamil Union Cricket and Athletic Club, who are based in Colombo.

Don't blame him for not wanting to bowl at the SCC, if it had any pot-holes it would be a road.

It is an absolute disgrace that Sri Lanka aren't given a full five match series and have to take second billing behind such second rate teams as the West Indies and Australia.

LOL - it's a cheap shot, but a good'un all the same...

:clap:

Congrats to Murali - an amazing achievement. Who knows if we'll see it again in our lifetime (given the disdain with which much of the cricketing world - particularly in the subcontinent - appears to view Test cricket)?

Back