• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

my computer keeps shutting its self down

Yer Blues

Not Always Sarcastic ⭐
without warning and powers down totally. then takes about 20 goes to boot up. thought it might be a virus so took everything off of the computer and reinstalled windows and it keeps happening. had a quick look online and its been said that it could be due to over heating but i have moved my desktop around so well ventilated and it keeps happening.

anyone had this before? any soultions?

thanks in advance

My laptop kept shutting itself down when I stood it on the leather arm of my settee. I then stood the laptop on a large book and it stopped conking out so I took it that it didn't get the air-flow underneath and over-heated. Problem solved.

My laptop kept shutting itself down when I stood it on the leather arm of my settee. I then stood the laptop on a large book and it stopped conking out so I took it that it didn't get the air-flow underneath and over-heated. Problem solved.

what he said!! mines started doing this, its getting on a bit,
might be worth taking the back of and cleaning the fan with some compressed air, be carfeuly tho!

Thermal shut down normally has an error code after it powers up (in the white lettery bit before Windows ) . Also worth checking the Windows event log if it stays up long enough to do so .
If your feeling brave , open your pc , make sure air flow isnt obstructed by cables . It can also the chips on your motherboard as well .
If you are going to "dust your pc" . Turn it all off , strip everything out . Use an antic static mat and wrist strap and a can of air . There's theories amooung electrical engineers that dusting can actually cause more problems then it solves

Anything things is get your CPU fan upgraded/looked (silicon gel can sometimes need replacing or reapplying) and your case fans . Have you added a newer more powerful Graphics card ? or put loads of expansion cards in ?? Have you been overclocking CPU, memory etc ??? Or worest of all have your PC on a very fluffy carpet or dust area ;)

I would suggest following these instructions http://juntariman.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/d-i-y-how-to-turn-off-windows-automatic-restart-b-s-o-d/ so you can write down the error code which could help identify your problem.

I had a problem like this before and it turned out to be an error with the motherboard, due to previous overheating. I installed Linux on it and it stopped it restarting as often as it used to due to being a less memory intensive OS.

The guys at http://forums.techguy.org/ have helped me a lot in the past. (It's nothing to do with the idiots of the same name that work at PC World...these people actually know what they are talking about).

I had that with an advent "all in one" it was down to the power supply.

As nearly all the computer problems I have had in 20 years ave been down to the PSU, and this one sounds similar, I would try checking all the connections to the PSU and if that doesn't work replace it, they are not overly expensive.

Last edited:
It may be that there is a lot of dust collected inside the unit, tricking the Heat Sink to think its overheating and rebooting. Get some compressed air in a can, open the case and give the unit a real good blow out, especially round the cooling fan and the heat sink itself

When it switches off and you try to switch it back on does the fan in the case start spinning ?

If it doesn't then its the PSU playing up, if it tries to reboot then its motherboard "side " of the PSU (ie overheating etc)

I'm still going with the PSU

Back