• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Crabby Shrimper

President
Well, found out early yesterday that I had today off. managed to get a ticket at the last minute (thanks to Its grim up north) and made my merry way down to the Liberty stadium.

Leaving at around 11 ish, I set off for a gentle stroll through the enterprise park from my home in Birchgrove. It was a lovely day

DSC00041.jpg

and I was looking forward to the match.

Around 12 ish I arrived at the ground

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

After the obligatory trip to the Morfa parc pub, I met up with Chris, got my ticket, and entered the ground. First off I found my seat, and had a look at the empty stadium's insides for the first time

DSC00046.jpg

Though it soon filled out a bit

DSC00047.jpg

Anyway, on to the match.

The opening exchanges were fairly frenetic, with swansea having a bit of possession. The first opportunities fell to us though, with the swans keeper being forced into a save.

Then, disaster!  Fallon, the pricey non scoring signing decided to actually do what he's paid for, and score! To be fair it was a lovely shot, just curling in and leaving Flahavan with little chance, I wasn't in the mood though for applauding the skill, I was gutted! For seconds the crowd were silent, then someone started singing again, and before you know it we're back to full volume. Now that must've given the team a lift!

More spells of possesion for both teams, Swansea looking dangerous on the break, but not really having the cutting edge. Eastwood a handful every time he got the ball. Then it happened! Eastwood did what he does best, scores! Picked the ball up from Gower just outside the area, beat a couple of defenders, and then hit it past Guerret. Game on!

Well, so we thought until a few minutes Fallon popped up again with a header after a nice build up, and poor defending. Again we carried on singing, again we carried the fight, this time though we got a good break, 2 on 2, and the ref pulls it back to give us a free kick on the half way line! As if that wasnt enough, from the resulting free kick Barret got into the box and was pushed over. Penalty? Not with this ref!

Half time, and a chance to watch the highlights and have a beer. Saw the penalty appeal again, and outside of the box we'd have gotten a free kick (from a normal ref) but a penalty may have been optimistic.

2nd half, and we're back at 'em. No joy though, and a few good breaks by Swansea. In fact we were kept in the game by flahavan who made a string of three absolutely top notch saves, including a close range effort from Trundle (who, to his credit, congratulated Flahavan on the save)

Then, 63 minutes, people talking about subs, and what should happen? yep, it's that man again, Freddy Eastwood bags another. By this time some of the swans fans started letting their heads drop, and we started looking the more likely to score.

Trundle subbed for Knight, we took off Goater and Bradbury, and on came  Gray and Bentley and the gamwe petered out into a stalemate as the ref gave a succession of dodgy decisions all the way of Swansea.  

final whistle, and some elements of the crowd break into cheering and applauding. Word went around, Hartlepool had scored. Someone came on the pitch, Barret was asking him the score, then, the players went what can only be described as f****n mental!

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

brilliant atmosphere, and thanks to all the Swans who stayed to applaud our team at the end, it was a nice gesture, and hopefully we'll see you next season.

Players who shone?

For me it was a close call between three.

Flahavan was outstanding in goal. A bit taller and he may have saved one of the goals, well, if he was 8' anyway! no, seriously, a much improved display on the last time I saw him and definitely kept us in the match!

Maher was his usual quietly commanding self. I rarely see him doin anything spectacular, but he's always in the thick of it, making important interceptions/headers, dictating the play, and generally being the team's heartbeat.

Eastwood! What can i say? Scored two,and looked the most dangerous player on the pitch.

I heard Goater getting some stick, as usual, but to be fair it'd have been more appropriate for us to have played a climbing frame up front, as thats what the Swans defence seemed to be wanting to do. Got no protection from the ref either.

A final note to end on, here's the first thing i saw when i got in.

Enjoy!

b35c0ccf.jpg

nice post, ill try and send something similar from Roots Hall next week, in case you dont get there

Great post and thanks for some fantastic pictures of the day.Couldn't go but felt like I was there thanks to you.
Championship we're having a laugh

how did gutts play? the radio made out that he was a bit quiet... those pics of the players after the game look quality, how i wish i was there! awesome lookin stadium too, looks really intimate

Gutts was ok, not as involved as much as he could've been tbh. He wasn't quiet at the end though! Running around the stadium in his underpants like a loon!

Swansea Shrimper - you are a legend!!

Thanks for that.
As GodBless says above, makes those of us who couldn't go today feel like we were there!!

Good man.

smile.gif

Nice post.

Thats a lovely ground, if we get something similar Ill be well happy.

Thanks, Swanseashrimper, top post and much appreciated.

smile.gif

Ive just got back.

I have to say, today has been my greatest day as a southend supporter. Brilliant atmosphere and out of this world celebrations at the end and I have to confess, I nearly shed afew tears at the end!

What a day. Championship, We're avin a laugh!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ April 29 2006,23:28)]Ive just got back.

I have to say, today has been my greatest day as a southend supporter. Brilliant atmosphere and out of this world celebrations at the end and I have to confess, I nearly shed afew tears at the end!

What a day. Championship, We're avin a laugh!
Yeah I seemed to be welling up as I hugged some random Swansea fan who made the effort to come over and congratulate us!

Fantastic, my day in pictures. Oh except for the stroll through the park bit.
When the cheer went up over the Hartlepool equaliser Darryl turned to the fans gestering(spelling) a whats happened type thang. At the final whistle your words sum it up precisley, they went f%&king mental. We all went f%&king mental.

Swanseashrimper, you could at least put some effort into your post on such an important day!
mad.gif

Glad my bro' sorted you out with a ticket. He can be nice when he tries.

ghostface.gif

Maybe it was just me that was crying at the end then?!!
Perhaps I am gay after all

[b said:
Quote[/b] (keefmoon @ April 30 2006,11:06)]Maybe it was just me that was crying at the end then?!!
Perhaps I am gay after all
Certain you weren't alone.... and I wasn't even there!

wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Back