• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My dilemma

Should I attend to hear Chipmunk's words of wisdom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good folk of SZ I need your advice please. I have a serious problem.

I have been invited to a lunch on 4th April where the guest speaker is one Alvin "Chipmunk" Martin. :stunned:

What do I do? Do I accept and go along and listen to his "witty" stories about coming through the West Ham Academy (they won the World Cup y'know)?

Go along get ****ed and harangue him about his managerial expertise and hurl bread rolls at him?

Or decline gracefully and spend the day in the office?

Thanks all.

H

To be fair i liked him as a bloke but didnt like him as a manager,go and be merry,be the bigger man and just tread on his toes on the way out whilst muttering,i was on eggheads dont you know.

He is actually a very nice bloke. As I understand it when he was at Southend he was under strict financial restraints set by the chairman as to how much he could spend on each part of the team, i.e defence, midfield, forwards.
Personally I thought his tactics of hoof it and if we are losing at half time, hoof it longer, were pretty poor but plenty of managers have been successful playing that way.
Go along with an open mind, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

He is actually a very nice bloke. As I understand it when he was at Southend he was under strict financial restraints set by the chairman as to how much he could spend on each part of the team, i.e defence, midfield, forwards.
Personally I thought his tactics of hoof it and if we are losing at half time, hoof it longer, were pretty poor but plenty of managers have been successful playing that way.
Go along with an open mind, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

It's called a budget!

I think he tried (unsuccessfully) to get us to play football - he was the manager who signed Kevin Maher after all - but I've no sympathy whatsoever for his cries of financial restraints for someone who paid money for Neville Roach.

His signings were, with one exception, atrocious (and even that exception was atrocious for his first five or so seasons at Southend). His tactics were dreadful. The results were dire.

All this from a manager who spent more in transfer fees in a single season than Little, Webb, Newman, Wignall and Tilson (up until he got into the championship) did combined.

I don't think I've ever felt so ashamed as I did after that Doncaster game and I don't think I've ever felt so relieved as I did after that Hull game.

He's not just a ****, he's a W*** H** ****.

Thanks for the advice all, I'm sure I'll attend and I've asked the local baker to design a bread roll wrapped around a brick. Thanks Grouty. :smile:

Went to a similar event last year and it was quite a laugh. Martin was decent value but Tony Cottee was a complete and utter drip. Loads of curry and beer helped sooth the pain of being surrounded by Claret and Blue Monkeys.

Good folk of SZ I need your advice please. I have a serious problem.

I have been invited to a lunch on 4th April where the guest speaker is one Alvin "Chipmunk" Martin. :stunned:

What do I do? Do I accept and go along and listen to his "witty" stories about coming through the West Ham Academy (they won the World Cup y'know)?

Go along get ****ed and harangue him about his managerial expertise and hurl bread rolls at him?

Or decline gracefully and spend the day in the office?

Thanks all.

H

Pointless post as you dont have the balls to do anything

Back