• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane My father Trevor Roberts

I was at that game, Eddie Clayton made his home debut that evening.
So was I with Bob Jennings and a few others , the funny thing was that when the brass band marched round the pitch at half time we spotted Steve Kidd playing his trumpet with the band , he had kept that right under his hat and never told anyone at school he was playing . He told us at school that he never told anyone because he knew we would take the micky out of him and would put him off playing his trumpet .

View attachment 12392
View attachment 12393
Southend vs Workington 4th April 1968
Hi Hayden, I was also at that game aged 10. Your Dad was one of my first footballing hero’s. He was up there with Gordon Banks and Pat Jennings for me!
I met him during the 1970 season half time penalty prize competition (there is a thread on it somewhere on here).
Bryan Lloyd was the other keeper. Your Dad was recovering from injury. I wore Eddie Clayton’s shirt, but as my position was keeper at school, talking to Trevor is what I really enjoyed. He was an amazing goalie who was much loved by us all. I stood in the South bank behind the goal, he always waved to us kids as we shouted out ..There’s only one Trevor Roberts! ?

I was at that game, Eddie Clayton made his home debut that evening.
The only home match I missed that season—bus-conducting as a student,for once I failed to wriggle out of my duties that evening.And ,as now, the number 29s kept passing 2 sides of the ground!
Great to see all the photos and reports,Haydn,I could photo the prog for you of any game he played for us.Just for your record,that Walsall win was 1966.

Having seen every one of Trevor Roberts' performances at Roots Hall and the vast majority of his away ones, I can confidently say he was without doubt the best of the 60 or so goalkeepers I've seen play for Southend. As already stated throughout this great nostalgic thread, he was a really good person too.
It is one of the greatest Roots Hall mysteries why Southend signed Brian Lloyd and gave Trevor a transfer .

Last edited:
Back