• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane My father Trevor Roberts

Hi Haydn , your Dad was my geography master at Belfairs , so spoke to him quite a lot . I remember when in the 4th year and exam times we had to sit in the gym doing exams . One exam I did not do so had to sit there for a couple hours doing nothing with you Dad keeping an eye , I bought a couple of books to read , one was about Rodney Marsh and the other was a book about Liverpool . When your Dad saw the Liverpool book he asked if he could borrow it , he then spent the next couple of hours reading it instead of walking round the gym . I remember every Easter the school team would play the masters , your Dad played and scored two goals for the masters , one of which must of been a 35 foot drive . Before we left school the last couple of weeks my class spent a lot of time behind the workshops playing football with him in which he would join in playing with us and spend a lot of time speaking to us about football , I remember him telling us that the best player at Roots Hall was Billy Best of which we all agreed . We all liked your Dad and was one of the few masters we respected . On our last day at Belfairs we were walking out the school gate when he pulled up next to us and said "Good Luck Boys" we all wished him the same as you knew he meant it , we all said we would see him next season at Roots Hall when Cambridge played there . Sadly we never did , all the masters I ever had I will always remember your Dad .

Trevor was one of the better goalkeepers that have played for us. I remember a 3rd round FA cup tie away to Rotherham, we lost 3-2 but would have been a heavier defeat if it wasn't for Trevor.
Yes that was just his 3rd game for us.
Frankie Banks in one of his 5 appearances first time round, put us ahead ,but Div 2 Rotherham came back strongly.

Trevor was a teacher at Belfairs for boys when I first started attending. It was a very tough school at the time, and problem families or kids that were kicked out of other local schools were sent there. A lot of teachers got no respect and nothing but trouble. Trevor on the other hand, had Kudos for playing for Southend. He had a presence about him, but it was the way he dealt and spoke to the boys. Like Maldon Shrimper said, he was a sports teacher, but I'm sure he took our class once when Ernie Crane was ill at Geography. Trevor had the utmost respect from the boys, because of the person and the way he was.

I hope you don't mind me posting these Haydn.
278525_orig.jpg

roberts-trevor-testimonial-prog-ifc-w-dosanjh-copy_orig.jpg

roberts-trevor-date_orig.jpg
Thanks for posting and I appreciate your kinds words about Trevor. The article you posted is from the Liverpool football program vs Man Utd dated 15th August 1972. Tommy Smith was the skipper and was close friends with Trevor having played with him in the Liverpool Youth team. He had the Liverpool side sign the match ball and i have it to this day.

Trevor Roberts Liverpool Match Ball 1972.jpeg
Trevor Roberts Liverpool Match Ball 1972 1.jpeg

Back