• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

duncan bulgaria

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Woman
Since Tilly departed I stood firm that I would not pay to watch a SUFC game this Season ( rightly or wrongly but it was my choice ) . My Brother got the cheap tickets from the Sun so off I went to watch the game and to see for myself how good or bad our current crop of players are .

Firstly was a decent crowd for this level and for a freezing cold night when some could of opted to watch the greatest team on the planet playing on the box , so that was a plus .

Secondly was surprised at the tempo at which the game was played at in the first half and I feel that the Gills were a tad more fired up than us and dominated us and won nearly every header and Tackle ( apart from Corr who won 90% of his headers ) . This was thh most frustrating thing for me all evening was that our CB pairing really were poor in the air , everytime the ball got played up they seemed scared to challenge Afinwenka , yes he's a big lad but at least let him know you are there . They also caused panic from corners and set piece's as they failed to deal with clearing the ball properly and the 2 goals could of been prevented if we had won the first ball compentantly .

That said the 2 boys were actually quite assured on the deck and the second half they were stroking it around nicely and played some decent balls into the front 2 .

I also thought our Full backs were 2 of the worst I have seen since my time watching the Blues , i would urge anyone to tell me differently after last nights game .

Keeper looked good and made 2 crucial saves at key moments which I feel won us the point as our heads would of gone had we have been 3 or 4 - one down .

Going forward was were we looked effective and I liked the front 2 pairing , they won their headers and were actually trying to link up play and not just aimlessly flicking the ball on ....yes they didnlt look to turn with the ball and run at the defence but i noticed Corr laying teh ball out wide and then busting a gut to get into the box to try and get on the end of it which is probably why he has scored a few this season ..........Sturrock needs to work harder at doing that to get himself in more dangerous positions but his hold up play is generally good , he does try too hard with his flicks I feel , simple it up a bit and he might find the other players are on his wave length more..

Sawyer was no exsistant in the first half but came alive in the Second and showed some lovely touches and wanted the ball off the back four , not quite the player I remember but showed promise.

Grant i'm guessing was just an off day , I know how good he is and can forgive him for having a quite game.

Hall is a livewire , has a great touch ...very quick and is always looking to go forward , he can play at a higher level without question and without him i'm afraid we are a very very average League 2 side , with him and a few more boys like Grant and Sawyer performing I cant see why we don;t win more games . Also good to see him celebrating in front of the East's as it seemed liek he really enjoyed them 2 goals , which may I add were superbly taken .

Sounds like we need moshini back to sure up our defense as that was definately our weakness last night , would also pinpoint getting in a loanee RB/LB in my opinion .

Enternaing game though and a point was about fair.

I agree. One thing though with 'Off in half an hour' (he managed a whole first half tho!) - he played in front of our back line not on it (a good tactic). He would force our CB to come forward to jump with him leaving a hole behind the CB for the faster Gill players to exploit from his flick on. Hence the first goal & our CB's didn't look cohesive at all.

I did also see when we were defending that our back line consisted of 5/6 players and I would like to see some more spacial awareness as too many of our players were going for the ball or towards the ball instead of looking whom to mark etc........

IMHO of course

Last edited:
Clohessey has been pretty decent this season, Gilbert on the other hand has either been half-decent at times or awful.

EDIT: We need Ferdinand back if he stays, the back 4 looks so much more assured with him sitting in front of them.

Last edited:
Clohessey has been pretty decent this season, Gilbert on the other hand has either been half-decent at times or awful.

EDIT: We need Ferdinand back if he stays, the back 4 looks so much more assured with him sitting in front of them.

Seconded. Clohessy was prob our best player for the 1st third of the season but has lost his form a little recently and didnt have a good game last night. Gilbert isnt good enough in my opinion.

Certainly agree with the original post that both Coughlan and Barker bottled challenging Akinfenwa. Center backs should not get bullied full stop. I would say they had an off day as usually they are both v good in the air. In the long term i cannot see Coughlan in the first team and would like to see barker moved back to left back which is his main position.

In response to Mcnasty's post , i will get a away game under my belt before the end of the season .....hopefully at Wembley ;)

Yes the 2 CB's bottled challenging AA last night and the first lead to a goal , the challenge on Sturock although dangerous is what players get patted on teh back for in the changing room ....I guarentee Hessentler was pleased to see that challenge go in as it stamped a mark on the game from the defender and i'm guessing Sturrock was cautious everytime after that to go up for a ball . AA needed a big challenge on him early doors to get him lookking over his shoulder but it never came .

FWIW I missed out Easton on my original post , it was a mistake but probably speaks volumes as thought he was very very quiet , would have a young Ferdinand in there reading all of the posts on here about him ....Easton offered not a lot .

Back