• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Well, I’ve just got to share this with you all. Me and my friend Malcolm went to Colchester last night to see the MIGHTY BLUES dump Col U out of the LDV Trophy. Again. <snigger>

Anyway, it is a night neither of us shall forget for more than one reason.

I picked him up at about 6 from his house in Westcliff and happily fed into my all-singing-all-dancing satellite navigation system Layer Road in Colchester. Initially it wasn’t giving me Layer Rd as an option for the road name and I had to do a search for it. Funny, that, I thought.

Anyway off we headed and as soon as we got to the A12 it started to try and divert us off the A12 towards Tiptree and Maldon. Now I’d never been to Layer Rd but I was fairly certain it was in Colchester! So we ignored it and stayed on the A12. Four junctions (and four ignored calls to turn left later from my talking computerised navigator) we decided to take the plunge and headed off towards Kelvedon. There must be a sneaky back route we thought. As soon as we got into Kelvedon there was a right turn towards Tiptree and Maldon with a pub on the corner. The Sat Nav told us to go towards Tiptree and Maldon again. As it was about 7 o’clock and ko wasn’t until 8, we had loads of time and so Malc suggested a quick refreshment stop and perhaps ask the publican. Nice chap he was too; told us to stay on the straight road, rejoin the A12, take the Halstead turnoff and then follow the signs for Lexden. We would then just come across the ground. I mentioned that there must be another Layer Rd because my Sat Nav was sending me towards Tiptree. “Oh.no”, he said “You can go that way as well… it just takes you around the back roads. There’s no other Layer Rd.”

Remember that phrase…

We ignored Sat Nav (yet again) and took the publicans advise, rejoined the A12, Halstead turn off etc etc.

At this juncture we started listening to Sat Nav again, as we were obviously unfamiliar with this part of the world. The route took us away from civilisation, into the back of beyond, no B roads, no street lights, no traffic, hardly any houses even. I did comment to Malc that we were only 2 miles away (according to Sat Nav) but this didn’t seem a likely route for football traffic. But we ploughed on regardless, trusting Sat Nav to bring us to our destination.

Now any regular football goer who has attended evening games will know that there is a monumental giveaway landmark for football grounds… floodlights! We were now only 1 mile from our destination… 800 yards… 600 yards… crossing the Mersea… the sky was pitch black and absolutely no lights anywhere… but we bloody well carried on because Sat Nav told us to.

“Turn left… you have arrived. Destination reached” it happily told us. And so we had. Layer Road, in Layer-de-la-Haye, or Layer Marney, or any one of several other Layer somethings that seem to be in abundance around there. But not Layer Rd Colchester, where Southend were due to kick off in 20 minutes time.

It gets better.

We stopped the car and perused the night sky. In the distance, we saw a dull glow of what appeared to be floodlights in a westerly direction. We headed for it. It must be the game. Getting nearer, and we might even make kick off if we get parked quickly. 7:58pm, nearly there… and we pass a sign saying “Tiptree”.

“Malc, we’re in Tiptree” I said. His response, if I remember correctly, was something like “I’m sure Colchester’s ground isn’t in Tiptree…”

We were now in the Tiptree main drag, amongst houses and the floodlights just ahead of us. More out of disbelief we got out of our cars JUST TO CHECK… as if we needed to… instead of the roar of an expectant crowd with a game due to kick off in about 30 seconds we heard the noises made by footballers either on a pitch or training session with no crowd at all. Yes, it was Tiptree Utd.

So we turned around and headed back towards Colchester. We stopped and Malc asked two ladies how to get to Colchester Utd and they said something like “Oooh, dear, you’re a long way away…”

Great.

We scoured the night sky and saw another dull glow of potential floodlights. We followed the signs for Colchester at breakneck speed (thank God there were no speed cameras) and sure enough it led us to Layer Rd, which is a major road in Colchester and I’m amazed it’s not on my Sat Nav system. Anyway, I drove down the road next to the ground on the basis that someone might have gone out after the football had started, and luckily got a space. We ran round to the ground, not having the foggiest which end was the away end, but we were lucky. There was a line of policemen outside. I got the tickets out… Terrace 2, turnstiles 8 or 9. 15, 14, 13, 12…carry on… 9 and 8. Closed.

I asked the policeman behind if they were shut and he said “Yes mate, about 2 minutes ago.”

“Can’t we get in then?

“Doesn’t look like it does it?”

Sarcy so and so.

Anyway another copper pointed us towards the stewards who let us in terrace 1.

We missed only the first 15 mins or so which was bloody amazing really. It was a great night out anyway, and the rest is history.

Malc and I had a blooming good laugh about it and we hope you will do too, entirely at our expense.

BLUE ARMY!

Sorry mate, but I find this story a tad disturbing&#33;

rock.gif

It&#39;s only up the bloody road god sake&#33;

Hope you did&#39;nt attempt the LDV final&#33;

And whatever you do DONT go to Darlo at the weekend&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

wink.gif

People like you shouldn&#39;t be allowed out of the house, let alone be able to drive a car. You&#39;re clearly a danger to yourself and the rest of society.

Strange story that because I went to layer Road last night and used sat nav to get me to the ground. i set the sta nav in Hawkwell at 6.15 and follwoing instructions from the hallowed machine arrived at a convenient parking slot in Layer Road, Colchester at 6.55.

The sat nav did ask which layer road i wanted, but i just selcted colchester and it took me straight there. You didnt buy your sat nav from Pitsea Market did you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Sep. 30 2004,11:46)]People like you shouldn&#39;t be allowed out of the house, let alone be able to drive a car. You&#39;re clearly a danger to yourself and the rest of society.
biggrin.gif

It was more a case of trusting the technology... if it wasn&#39;t there we would have resorted to a map&#33;

The more I think about it the more stupid it was... but hey&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Sep. 30 2004,11:46)]People like you shouldn&#39;t be allowed out of the house, let alone be able to drive a car. You&#39;re clearly a danger to yourself and the rest of society.
Hear-hear&#33;&#33;&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Sep. 30 2004,11:47)]Strange story that because I went to layer Road last night and used sat nav to get me to the ground.  i set the sta nav in Hawkwell at 6.15 and follwoing instructions from the hallowed machine arrived at a convenient parking slot in Layer Road, Colchester at 6.55.

The sat nav did ask which layer road i wanted, but i just selcted colchester and it took me straight there.  You didnt buy your sat nav from Pitsea Market did you?
My SatNav is a 2001 version and was supplied direct from Peugeot.

Bloody French...

Great story&#33;

Call me old fashioned, but I don&#39;t have the new fangled technology of sat nav and stick to the AA road atlas.

I drove up via Layer de la Haye, shame you didn&#39;t carry on as the road from there takes you straight to ground.

Still, at least the match made your journey well worthwhile&#33;

Up the Shrimpers&#33;

The legend that is Barry the Mouth Harris & Axeman had an interesting journey as well.

When we called them as we were leaving the award winning oasis of beer that is The Swan, Little Totham, we telephoned Barry to find his location was not as we expected "in a pub in Colchester", nor the alternative "on the train to Colchester" but "in a cab from Upminster on the M25".  Yes due to the rail problems that there were yesterday Baz had got to Upminster & cabbed it from there with Axe & another.  Actually the guy did them a real turn as he only charged them £45 total for the trip!!

FYI fbm as for Skoda Man, Slaphead & I the journey from Little Totham (just outside Maldon), via Tiptree to Layer Rd took about 20 mins.  Trust the technology!!  Mind you a little local knowlegde living amongst the two-headed tribes out here helps, particularly useful with Skoda Man's navigation skills!  

FYI Ron Manager even Uncle Pete found not only the pub but the ground in a single day this time!

This is the thing... since I got this Sat Nav I&#39;ve stopped using maps.

Guess what I&#39;m going to buy lunchtime...

haha, quite enjoyed the story except for the fact that we did a lot worse.

We intended to leave at about half six on the reasoning that AA online suggested it would take 51 minutes, leaving us plenty of time to park up and get in for KO. As it turned out, a &#39;cheeky&#39; pint and a Chick Stop (or whatever the Broadway KFC rip off is called now) meant we left Westcliff just after seven.

As if this wasn&#39;t hairy enough, we didn&#39;t print off the directions so we were going to Layer Road for the first time with the knowledge only of Butt Road being nearby.

Little surprise then when we found ourselves going through Colchester without a ****ing clue where we were headed. Damn their system of double miniroundabouts. Damn the fact that every road seemed to be signposted for the &#39;Garrison&#39;. Thank God the kid who watched us urinating on the bushes next to his house didn&#39;t get his dad.

Nonetheless, we tried going vaguely East, the only direction we hadn&#39;t so far tried and before we knew it, we were on an A road heading towards floodlights. We wound down the windows and, yes, the monkey like chants from the radio were being reciprocated outside the car so we figured this must be the place.

Not content that 20 minutes late was late enough, we then walked down a cul-de-sac, a private road and halfway in to someone&#39;s garden before eventually turning back and heading further East before stumbling upon the gorund, fully half an hour late but just in time to see the Tes wonder strike.

Possibly adding insult to injury, my friend Paul intended to put a bet on Tes to score first.

Still fbm, all worth it in the end I reckon you&#39;ll agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,12:52)]meant we left Westcliff just after seven.
Leaving just after seven?&#33;

I wouldn&#39;t leave &#39;just after seven&#39; if it were a HOME game&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 30 2004,13:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,12:52)]meant we left Westcliff just after seven.

Well, I expect you&#39;re one of those &#39;sensible&#39; people who plans in advance and stuff

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,13:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 30 2004,13:01)]
[b said:

Well, I expect you&#39;re one of those &#39;sensible&#39; people who plans in advance and stuff
No, definitely not a &#39;sensible&#39; person, but I wouldn&#39;t leave it that late.

I had a nightmare journey as well for the record, but that was due to the trains being completely useless&#33;

I left work at 4.45 planning to get to Colchester about 6ish so I could meeting everyone for a drink before hand. Don&#39;t usually make special preparations for a match, but this was a special game.

The tube took 45minutes for a 15minute journey due to someone chucking themselves infront of a train at Aldgate.

Then got on a train at Liverpool Street 17.40, sat there for 50minutes due to a power failure at Romford before moving down the line very very slowly.... Got into the ground at 19:56 extremely ****ed off before a fantastic evening of football made me forget the previous 3 hours of problems&#33;

Einstein

I left my armchair at 7.59 to make the journey up my stairs and into the spare room to turn the radio on to listen to the game. There was a bit of congestion at the top of the stairs caused by two lazy ******* cats that got in my way, but I was safely there, cup of tea in hand, in time for kick off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Sep. 30 2004,13:41)]I left my armchair at 7.59 to make the journey up my stairs and into the spare room to turn the radio on to listen to the game. There was a bit of congestion at the top of the stairs caused by two lazy ******* cats that got in my way, but I was safely there, cup of tea in hand, in time for kick off.
Cutting it a bit fine though. Think you were lucky there wasn&#39;t a broken down kid or something on the stair bypass.

Did you hear the strange monkey noises coming from the crowd on BBC Essex&#39;s broadcast?

Maybe I tuned in to Monkey FM
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Sep. 30 2004,13:41)]There was a bit of congestion at the top of the stairs caused by two lazy ******* cats that got in my way, but I was safely there, cup of tea in hand, in time for kick off.
Kick off? Was that the cats or the footie?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 30 2004,12:57)]Think you were lucky there wasn&#39;t a broken down kid or something on the stair bypass.
I&#39;d have been surprised if there was.

I&#39;d also have wondered who&#39;s kid it was, being as I don&#39;t have any.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Sep. 30 2004,12:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Sep. 30 2004,13:41)]There was a bit of congestion at the top of the stairs caused by two lazy ******* cats that got in my way, but I was safely there, cup of tea in hand, in time for kick off.
Kick off? Was that the cats or the footie?
Ah, yes, the &#39;launch the cats from the top of the stairs and see if you can hit the front door&#39; game. Always a favourite, but unfortunately I didn&#39;t have time.

Back