• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Juggler90

Youth Team
Got a letter published in Four Four Two this month. Quite a proud moment and mention of SUFC on the letters page which is nice.

I tried looking for how to attach a couple of pics I took of the article but can't see how to do it - I'll try and find it in my sent items.

They edited it very slightly but this is what I sent.

To: 442letters@haymarket.com

Subject: A Southend fan writes
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:13:29 +0000

Dear FFT,

Louis Van Gaal’s substitution of Jasper Cillessen for Tim Krul at last year’s World Cup gained countless column inches worldwide and understandably so because it was an unusual tactic to use and obviously on the greatest stage of them all. I was tempted to write in at the time but thought better of it until in issue 248 in the planet football section it says that “Tristan Suarez coach Caruso Lombardi “did a Van Gaal” by sending on a sub keeper for a shootout”.

As a Southend United fan I can tell you that 18 months before Van Gaal’s substitution in January 2013, our then gaffer, Paul Sturrock did the same against Oxford United in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy southern area semi-final bringing off Paul Smith and replacing him with young Daniel Bentley with seconds remaining on the clock before the penalty shootout.

I’m aware that the JPT southern area semi final is nearly but not quite at the same level as the World Cup finals so would not expect similar acknowledgement and I also expect there will be fans of other clubs saying that they have witnessed this before Van Gaal “did a Sturrock”. You may be interested to know though that as well as the Netherlands and Tristan Suarez Southend also went on to win the penalty shootout. Maybe this should become the norm irrespective of who’s on the bench…

Andy Dunkling

Back