• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
I everyone,
Sorry and all that as I dont get any spare time to post anything worthy or significance to embelish this great forum, but I have a rare day off and was trying to find and answer why, my Monty (44kg black gay labrador) as started eating his own s**t again. He as been on a very strict diet which funnily enough does coincide with this gut wrenching habit to reappear and raise its ugly head again, so after excaustive google searches of the internet these are some of the possible causes.

1. A dog with a physical problem that causes excessive hunger, pain, or other sensations may resort to eating feces. If your adult dog who has not previously had this habit suddenly develops it, take the dog to your veterinarian for a check-up.

My answer, I would do but he licks other dogs balls in the waiting room which is a bit embarrasing.

2. A dog who is not getting enough to eat or is going too long between meals may eat feces. Your veterinarian can help you evaluate the dog's weight and can suggest a feeding schedule and amount. Sometimes it takes experimentation to see what works best for a particular dog.

My answer is, Which is the vets way of saying," Get lost fatty"

3. A dog with intestinal parasites or other condition that creates blood or other fecal changes may eat feces. One dog may eat the feces of another dog who is shedding something like this in the stools. A fresh fecal specimen to your veterinarian for evaluation can detect some of these problems.

My answer is. Most responsible owners take a small poo bag out with them where as I have to take a black binliner.

4. Sometimes a change of diet helps. There doesn't seem to be any one food that is right for all dogs, and your dog may need something different than you're currently feeding. Be sure to make any changes of diet gradual, mixing the new food in with the old over a period of several days or weeks, to give the dog's intestines time to adjust and avoid diarrhea from the change.

My answer is. I have seen Monty clear a room full of people by what as eminated threw his intestinal duct.

5. Some dogs develop a mental connection that they will be punished if their humans find them in the same room with feces. Dogs react to this fearful situation in various ways, and one way is to eat the feces so it will not be there to make the human angry. This is one of many reasons not to use punishment when housetraining a dog.

My answer is. Can you just imagine the poor fella, having a dump then panicking and trying to hide the evidence and then thinking " I now what I could do, slurp it back up again.

6. Boredom can cause dogs to do all sorts of things, including eat feces. Interesting toys that have treats inside them for the dog to get out can help with lots of boredom-based problems.

My answer is. He has a network of others like him, a good social life which
consists of varies interactions with other dogs (cant go there) and then plopping his rotund backside on the floor and sleeping for several hours, so he should not suffer from boredom.

7. Dogs may do just about any wild thing when suffering from separation anxiety. If that is the problem, this won't be the only symptom, and you'll want to help your dog work through the separation anxiety.

My answer is. The only time I have ever seen Monty anxious was when, I filled his bowl up with food and forgot to put it on the floor for what must have seemed hours to him but was 2 maybe 3 minutes to me.

Back