• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My new Speedway Blog.....a plea for support!

Sherif H

Omar's older brother
Hi guys,

I have just started a new blog dedicated to my vision on how to improve speedway in the UK (some of you may know I work in stadia/facilities construction and this is a great passion of mine).
It would be great if you could pop by (if this is of interest) and support the cause with views/comments, and by spreading the word....who knows, hopefully the BSPA may take some notice were it to become a large enough concern!

The link is listed below...

[URL="http://speedwayfuture.blogspot.com/"]http://speedwayfuture.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Thanks

Sherif

Looking good mate.
Surely one of your poll options should have been possibility of a retractable roof to minimise risk of rain-offs?

All in good time Rich...I'm actually going to write a piece on indoor speedway venues shortly....as is always the case however, by solving one issue (namely planning), you introduce another (huge services costs)!

Can we have Rayleigh Rockets back please?

Unfortunately CS, I cannot see that happening for some time...Len Silver is quite happy up in Rye House. I should say however...it is one of my long term ambitions to set-up a speedway team in the Southend area one day, so watch this space!!

Unfortunately CS, I cannot see that happening for some time...Len Silver is quite happy up in Rye House. I should say however...it is one of my long term ambitions to set-up a speedway team in the Southend area one day, so watch this space!!

Just so you know where I am, I'm in (either as co-promoter or Team Manager)...

Seriously though, with Lakeside/Arena performing strongly, I can't really see South Essex supporting 2 tracks (even if one was running at PL or NL level). I think you need to look at Plymouth & Scunthorpe as to why they've built up quite a good following quite quickly, that is (other than the football clubs) there are limited pro sports to watch in the local area. In terms of Essex, maybe Colchester or Braintree would be a better bet for a new track?

Just so you know where I am, I'm in (either as co-promoter or Team Manager)...

Seriously though, with Lakeside/Arena performing strongly, I can't really see South Essex supporting 2 tracks (even if one was running at PL or NL level). I think you need to look at Plymouth & Scunthorpe as to why they've built up quite a good following quite quickly, that is (other than the football clubs) there are limited pro sports to watch in the local area. In terms of Essex, maybe Colchester or Braintree would be a better bet for a new track?

To be honest Rich, I see one major issue with the sport in that so many of the traditional tracks are located miles away from humanity! Look at Mildenhall for instance...a promotion which seems annually up for sale, in a lovely rural part of Suffolk (isn't all of Suffolk rural?!), but from a commercial perspective, try getting a bank to lend you the vast amounts of money to run the Club for even just a year without a true business plan.

No...the way forward is to try and get Arena Essex popular (and succesful) enough in the region to actually make Local Authorities stand up and take note of the team/sport and consequently be more useful when it comes to finding the Club an alternative site.

Sadly you are undoubtedly right. Used to love the nights down at the old stadium, and I wish you well in your ambition, but as Rich said I can't see the area supporting two teams.

I astonished that Len Silver is still about he must be the only person in the world that's older than Cricko.

I astonished that Len Silver is still about he must be the only person in the world that's older than Cricko.

Well his son Andrew is now 40+ and still turns out to ride for Lakeside every now & then. I remember going to Arena in the late 80s and I don't think Andrew had been beaten at home for about 3 months, think he was also the Silver Helmet holder at the time. The first rider I ever saw who still rode with a leg trailing style, think another of my old favourites Alan Mogridge might have been riding for Arena at that time too.

Sherif, maybe another idea for the forum in terms of potential to bring crowds back? Get the Golden/Silver/Bronze Helmet match-races back on, surely they could get a big sponsor to back it & put some great PR spin on the idea/competition.

To be honest Rich, I see one major issue with the sport in that so many of the traditional tracks are located miles away from humanity! Look at Mildenhall for instance...a promotion which seems annually up for sale, in a lovely rural part of Suffolk (isn't all of Suffolk rural?!), but from a commercial perspective, try getting a bank to lend you the vast amounts of money to run the Club for even just a year without a true business plan.

The thing is though, most local authorities will only grant planning permission for speedway away from residential areas. I remember the furore when Milton Keynes Knights moved 20 or so years ago from the old greyhound track to a purpose built out of town venue (by venue I mean track and muddy banks - when I went there wasn't even any portakabins for food/track shop etc) - the new track ran for a couple of years but then due to complaints from local residents as the new housing built edged closer to the track meant that Bucks CC pulled the plug on their noise licence. Shame, but that's how things went.

If the right promotion got into Mildenhall I am sure you could again get 1,500 - 2,000 crowds every week. I've been at West Row for a KO Cup final v Eastbourne and there must have been 4 or 5,000 there. Took an age to get out of the car park too.

The thing is though, most local authorities will only grant planning permission for speedway away from residential areas. I remember the furore when Milton Keynes Knights moved 20 or so years ago from the old greyhound track to a purpose built out of town venue (by venue I mean track and muddy banks - when I went there wasn't even any portakabins for food/track shop etc) - the new track ran for a couple of years but then due to complaints from local residents as the new housing built edged closer to the track meant that Bucks CC pulled the plug on their noise licence. Shame, but that's how things went.

If the right promotion got into Mildenhall I am sure you could again get 1,500 - 2,000 crowds every week. I've been at West Row for a KO Cup final v Eastbourne and there must have been 4 or 5,000 there. Took an age to get out of the car park too.

Indeed Rich...you are quite correct with regards to the planning issue, but you must bear in mind, that this is a town which is in the midst of gathering responses from a Joint Area Action Plan concerning expansion of an airport....whisper jets or not, the noise impact, whilst being background, will be for prolonged periods throughout the day, evry day. Speedway brings 15 one minute bursts of noise, a maximum of twice a week. I actually think a bigger issue with obtaining planning permission is the way it is packaged when presented to Councils. LA's will consider any development if it ticks enough boxes in their 'needs' and 'wants' section in the Local Plan (now Local Development Framework)....promoters need to be more savvy to this as it will open up a whole new world of potential funding at the same time (higher/further education etc.). Speedway has to be one of the cheapest forms of motorsport to participate in, and the bikes are excellent for training kids the basics of engine maintenance and tuning....I fail to see how the BSPA can be so blind about this!

Amazing really the sport has managed to exist for 80+ years with those old duffers constantly doing their utmost to ruin it!

I know the Chapman family are the current owners of the promoting rights to Mildenhall....would be interesting to see how much they would want!

Speedway (and motor sports in general) don't really do it for me, but I have forwarded this link on to a colleague who is a total speedway nut. Good luck!

New postings!

Afternoon all,

For any of you interested, a number of new posts have been made since the last update, and there is some interesting debate taking place on some of the topics. It would be good to see more 'sideways Shrimpers' having their say!

Cheers

Sherif

Hello once again fellow speedway fans! Just a quick note to let you know that a new post has been submitted to TSR blog....this one is a really tasty topic, likely to produce some mixed views, so get yourself down and have a look!

http://speedwayfuture.blogspot.com

On The Speedway Revolution this week...new posts and a new poll! - I ask the big question. If you had the opportunity to purcahse a small stake in a not-for-profit nationwide supporter-run and owned Speedway Club, would this be of interest? Please take the time to vote, as this could have real implications on the future of our sport.

http://speedwayfuture.blogspot.com

Back