• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I never knew my dad but was so close to my grandad he took on that role for me. He worked at Handley Page in Cricklewood and then Radlett. They made WW2 bombers during the war and then other aircraft until it closed in 1970. He then worked as an engineer up until he retired in 1985. He passed away in 1994 and I still miss him every day.

My oldman a docker all his life, Royal Albert, King George and Tilbury
Was a shop steward in the docks, many days on strike during the 70s, but allways had a smile on his face, even when we had nothing, except his love and allways someone worse off saying

Will be 89 on Gold cup day and still my best friend and a kind great dad

Ok my old man was not a dustman but i bet he wishes he had of been one.
He was when i was born a builder who worked his way up to foreman on the firm mainly building schools and houses and later in life he set up on his own til he messed that up and became one of those bods on the door at vat house in Southend and his last job was the same thing at Shoebury.
So fellows zoners what did/does your father do for a living?
Oh and buma your dad was a building contractor not just a humble builder.

Actually, he started life on a building site at 14 as a plasterer.

Teacher. And had the very distinct honour of teaching one Franck Moussa during his time with us. Always said he was a very nice young man.

My dad started as a Typewriter engineer in the 1940's , because he was an apprentice , he was exempt from National Service.
Moved on to Roneo , where in 1959 he turned down the opportunity to go on a course about these new fangled computer things, because my mum was due to have my Brother.
Later went on to developmental engineering and got a couple of patents (in the companies name) through, in the 70's / 80's recession hit and he was made redundant 3 times in 5 years, eventually going back on the workshop floor til he managed to retire a bit early.

He was a decent standard Track cyclist (1954 Eastern Counties Champion) and used to say that had he had the backing from National Service he would have made the 52 Olympics , as one of the Riders selected he used to beat regularly, but he was in one of the Armed Forces and they preferred them

Passed away April 4 2013, 2 days after his 58th wedding Anniversary, yesterday would have been his 85 Birthday

I thought you were doing well for your age!

How come you can retire in 15 years? I've got another 32 years before I'm due my pension.

It matures at 60 and it's a nice final salary one that I've paid into since I was 17. Not to mention I'll be mortgage free at 58.

Back