• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Like any major NR project, MK's pension will start 20 years later than scheduled

fought in the korean war...on HMS Belfast....so had it quite good

My dad started his thirty year career as cabin crew with BOAC in the 1950's. He flew on old Stratocruiser prop jets to New York in the days when long haul travel was almost exclusively for the very wealthy. A trip to the States usually had 2 transit stops on the way to refuel and haute cuisine and beds were the norm.

The jet age arrived and of course destinations to Africa, South America and Australia were made more easily accessible, the downside being that as a young kid I didn't see him for up to three weeks at a time and his garden had to look well presented when he got back. However, there were benefits. On his return he would firstly ask how the Blues had done and then he would take out a small gift from his luggage for us. We also had the opportunity to travel the world for free.

A couple of Royal flights to the Far East ensued as well as regular trips on the Hollywood route. This quite often resulted in stewardesses getting a bit excited about famous passengers boarding and my dad asking who they were and why were they famous. He really wasn't in to the celebrity thing. Incidentally, as this is a football forum, on one occasion he had the experience of chatting to the great Pele in a hotel bar in the Middle East. He returned home and said what a wonderful person he was. He also had a priceless personalised autograph in his possession which unfortunately has now been lost.

My dad was asked to operate the Concorde route to New York but turned it down as it didn't pay as well and he wanted the variety of global travel. Not a decision I would have made, but at least I would have tried it.

He retired in the 1980's just short of his 30th anniversary with the same employer British Airways. He is no longer with us now but the memories will live long.

Sorry for waffling on but I have found this thread very interesting.

How exciting Fred, your dad must have had loads of stories and you obviously benefited from his "perks"! Very glamorous!

How exciting Fred, your dad must have had loads of stories and you obviously benefited from his "perks"! Very glamorous!

I suppose I have painted a rather glamorous picture of what is effectively a waiters job at 35,000 feet. On the other side of the coin, the hours , monotony, arriving at airports at all hours of the day and night and jet lag were at times challenging as were some of the 'diva' passengers. Don't expect any names.

I wondered if this thread could be broadened to include other family members. My grandfathers uncle was a professional tennis coach at The Queens Club in London around 1900-1920 and his services were required by many of the Wimbledon champions of the time. He was actually regarded as one of the best tennis players in the world but as he earned money from his profession was unable to compete at the annual championships which was for amateurs only. It was a very class oriented sport in those early days and some may say still is to some extent.

fought in the korean war...on HMS Belfast....so had it quite good

Has he ever been to visit it as a tourist attraction? It would be really interesting for people to hear what he has to say...

yes many a time...his firm even "rented" the mess room-cabin,for a big firm meal"booze up"
He is no longer with us now,his ashes scattered....but every time i come home,i go onto "his" ship and say "hallo Dad"..
It is well worth a visit.....he loved it..i love it even more...told me many a story about him and the R.N.

My Dad wrote me a book,about his life..ie in the R.N on hms Belfast..one part is....
When Belfast was at Sasebo,Japan...his ship docked on a reasonably long pier-jetty,on the other side was the USS Helena...
The Brits & yanks had their own area-sector where they should "drink",but on the way back to ship...he and3 mates stopped off in the yank PX...which is only for them and off limits forBrits..but they popped in..
After a few beers they were asked to leave,no Brits...ok,off they went...
When outside my Dad wanted a "pee",so had a pee ,against a wall,some way away from the PX....when some Yanks said.."limey *******"...he thought im not having that ,so went for the Yank...last thing he remembered..light out...
But then what happened was,his 3 mates saw this,then got stuck into the yanks...some yanks then pilled out off the PX..to help them...Sailors from Belfast and Helena left ships and all got involved.
Snowdrops(who are white helmeted mil police) could not stop it,only when Marines,dressed for war,using batons could.
The end result was(which my Dad was out off)....was the PX smashed up,sailors from the Helena...pushed back on board,by the Brits......and from that day,separate landing stages were provided for British and American fleets..and we were allies

Back