• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Top Post Cricko.....I have been going for a similar amount of years ,started late sixties. It will be sad to leave the Hall but Onwards and Upwards as they say.....

Top post cricko. I remember my Dad taking me to buy my first scarf at the little club shop down Victoria Avenue and seeing the first team, this was the Dave Smith era training over Priory Park. i just sat there all day watching Colin Morris, Mickey Stead, Alan Moody and Merv in goal. Happy Days.

It will be a sad day when we leave the Hall.

anybody got anymore old pics - ??

there was a fab one yesterday of the the crowd walking into the North Bank

I think any real Southend fan will miss Roots Hall. When you go somewhere so often over such a long period of time you can't help but miss it when it goes, no matter how 'good' the stadium is. Roots Hall is one of the few old-fashioned stadiums left in this country and sitting in a half empty, characterless metal bowl won't be the same.

yh totally with all things said.....absolutly top post cricko im only young and so have only been going for about 7 years but still the club and ROOTS HALL has a huge part in my heart

The last home game of this season (hopefully a play-off) will almost certainly be my last ever game at Roots Hall after 28 years of going there since I was 7.

In all likelihood I won't be making a trip home from Oz before the new ground is built and I'm sure there will be a few tears shed by me that day.

Roots Hall.

This is probably a lot harder for me than most on here.Yes I know Canvey and a few others were there or therebouts in those old days when it all began for me.

I Guess I was about 9 when I used to visit Priory Park and wondered who these people were kicking footballs about, It took a kickabout friend to point out to me "that is Southend United"...I was at boarding school at that time so it was mostly at half terms that I had the chance to visit the Park....This was the normal training ground in those day's.. It became the normal at every school break for me, we became the local ball-boy's of the day and we became part of the family when we were invited to Roots Hall on Matchday as a thanks.

I do not remember the first game I went to or in what order the players appeared ...I remember Chisnel,Woodley,Bentley, Mcgiven and one of my all time favourites at the Hall...Trevor Roberts, who kind of took a shine to us youngsters and was a top top man. ( sadly he died many years ago). I think it was Arthur Rowley in charge in those days followed by Ernie Shepherd, but forgive me if I am not accurate.We became a fixture at the Hall after that.

We used to bunk in mostly over the old South Bank by the Hospital Toc H wooden hut. In our day's off at half term we were at the ground most day's as volunteers..There are so many things we used to do to help but one that stands out in my mind is when they extended the East stand and put in proper seats instead of bench's..I spent I think about a week ( well it felt like it at the time) sticking gold transfer numbers on to each seat.

There is a picture of one of my relatives in the recent book "A Century United" as a player , maybe it was in the blood but my love for SUFC has never wained from those day's.I have so many stories to tell over the 40 odd years I have loved the Shrimpers and not the time to tell them all here, but it does bring a lump to my throat as we are about to kiss the old place goodbye. Roots Hall will always be a special place to me but I felt many years ago that if we had a chance to move we should take it, but it never materialized.

I have seen 100's and 100's of players come and go and a fair few manager's. I miss some of my old friends from those day's that are sadly not here anymore, but I have made so many more over the year's and I have had a few gap's along the way due to family commitments.

Today I have mixed feelings of course, my youth and all of my life up until now supporting SUFC has been at the Hall, but I know it is time to move on and bring a new future to SUFC...I look forward to Fossetts with a smile and a new future for the club and us all, but with a tear for those long gone day's that have made my life and love of my club complete.

Long may SUFC remain in all your hearts.

John.

Was this before the great war when the mighty oaks at Priory park were but mere saplings?

Back