• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bluebrian

First XI
on matters at the club are as follows:

RM is and always will be a developer. Developers are in business for the sole reason of making serious money on land opportunities - hence this is the only reason he purchased the club. Is this a bad thing? well not necessarily. I for one believe we would have gone into administration a long time ago if he hadnt purchased the club. So does that now make him the right person to be at the helm now? Well that doesnt matter because there is nothing any of us can do about it. Yorkshire Blue hit it on the head in a previous thread when he said:

' I am reassured not by believing that Ron Martin wants what is best for the club, but by the fact that the clubs success is in Ron Martins interest'.

In all my considertion of matters relating to what is going to happen to the club the only truth in my mind is the fact that the clubs success is in Rons interest. However, to what degree is only known by him. I believe that is the best that any of us can hope for. We cannot control any of this but can have some comfort in the fact that Ron knows that if he can keep the fans on side he will realise his vision (make shed loads of money on his land purchase) in a more efficient, less controversial and more quickly than he would if he didnt have us on side.

Now the reason I think it is all going t**s up at the moment is because Ron didnt account for the current economic climate in his master plan which we all find ourselves in now. Based on his previous estimations we would be in the building phase right now and that would have meant monies would have also been released for players. Previously Ron has budgeted just enough for the team to get by. However, now with the economic climate and our injury crisis Ron has to make a decision. Does he spend more of his own money on new players whith almost certainty that at best we would finish mid-table or does he take a gamble spend nothing and there be a huge chance of us getting relegated and then rebuild the team in league 2. It has been done before and on less money than he is spending now. From his perspective maybe its not such a bad financial model - at least he wont be throwing more of his money at the team. And what of the clubs success being in Ron interest - well what is the worst he will get? a few emails from Irate Ian or J slating him on here? (not singling those 2 out - just names that sprung to mind). He may well think thats worth it if it saves him a few hundred thousand. His out will be the sacking of Tilly if we do go down and explaining that money was indeed available for Tilly however for one reason or another the signings didnt materialise. He can plan for a promotion push from league 2. The funds for the stadium will be in hand then - he will build a team with a new manager on a smaller budget than he is having to spend now. Yes attendances will be down to begin with but if we are pushing for promotion they will rise again. He will still be conscious of the fact that the success of the club is in his interest and will plan plan a big PR campaign with his Commercial Director Garry Adamson and keep most of us on side because we know we are going to get a new stadium.

To sum it up and its not necessarily a good suming up: but without him we would have gone into administration - with him our only hope is that he continiues to recognise that it is better for him all round that the club is successful. Either way we are a long way from a settled future sitting in our new pastic seats at FF.

Interesting opinion bluebrian and some points touch on a less detailed post I put on about League 2 a couple of weekends ago.

I don't think you are a million miles out with your current assessment; we will either narrowly esacape relegation on limited resources till we get a few of the injured back or go down and rebuild on a smaller budget, having had a really good clear out this time.

Funnily enough though,even if we do go down I could see Tilly surviving as he would be an ideal person to re-build a successful side in League 2 and will be accustomed to keep working on a tight budget with a lot of youngsters.

Does he spend more of his own money on new players whith almost certainty that at best we would finish mid-table or does he take a gamble spend nothing and there be a huge chance of us getting relegated and then rebuild the team in league 2.

We had the same option when we were in the Championship, and he did nothing!!

Every single owner has "saved" us from administration by my count now. I think in all honesty within 10 years most of leagues one and two will be part-time. There isn't the money in the game anymore.

Every single owner has "saved" us from administration by my count now. I think in all honesty within 10 years most of leagues one and two will be part-time. There isn't the money in the game anymore.

It was reported this morning in there local paper the Gazette that Colchester United are Scraping there Scouting Section at Club and running down there youth set up in a effort to save money

But after buying a player from carlise for £100,000 they have had a bid
rejected from Hibernian Captain Rob Jones £200,000 who seems to have
16 months still left on his contract

at least they are spending there money received from tv and transfers

Interesting opinion bluebrian and some points touch on a less detailed post I put on about League 2 a couple of weekends ago.

I don't think you are a million miles out with your current assessment; we will either narrowly esacape relegation on limited resources till we get a few of the injured back or go down and rebuild on a smaller budget, having had a really good clear out this time.

Funnily enough though,even if we do go down I could see Tilly surviving as he would be an ideal person to re-build a successful side in League 2 and will be accustomed to keep working on a tight budget with a lot of youngsters.

You could be correct about Tilly - but personally I dont believe all is good between them. I honestly believe if Tilly had the choice right now he would move to another club if they came in for him. I think Tilly loves this club but the constraints he has to work with are damaging his career and if he could financially afford to he would walk away. Obviosuly they are just my opinions but thats my guess.

Back