• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Feel much the same but like most I'll be back come August, but can't say I am relishing another season at this level. What I am concerned about is that the club bet the farm on getting promotion and I wonder where this will leave us financially as it's all gone tits up.

Mark my words this league will be tougher next season, Chesterfield & Wycombe coming down, Bristol Rovers won't be as bad again, Fleetwood coming up with money to spend and the fat crook Evans at Rotherham.

Harry, your devotion is admirable, your concerns well placed.

Will Sainsbury's continue to bank-roll us if we have blown the money we recived at the start of the season ? Does Remy Martini have anything left to pawn ?

Harry, your devotion is admirable, your concerns well placed.

Will Sainsbury's continue to bank-roll us if we have blown the money we recived at the start of the season ? Does Remy Martini have anything left to pawn ?

Thanks Howard I am sure Rayleigh boy will be along soon to assure us that we have a 5 million line of credit. :nope:

Firstly, I am more disappointed tonight than I can remember being as a Southend United supporter ...and that includes relegations and watching much, much poorer teams.
I am eating a Sainsbury's Cheese & Tomato sandwich when I should be celebrating.

A great many of you will have more valid points to make than mine as I have not been in the UK for the majority of the season...but here goes.

Paul Sturrock has assembled a good squad from bare bones since he arrived at Southend United. In that respect an excellent job.
Though Luggy has a fantastic knowledge of football and football players - he is also the most dull, cautious and unimaginitive manager I have known at Roots Hall.
Promotion was there for the taking ..but to take it we needed a little more flair, imagination and adventure...three characteristics that Paul Sturrock would not appear to be a fan of.
It really was there for the taking but we ended up 4th.

And so to the Play-Off's.
To go to Gresty Road and hand them the initiative as we did with our negativity was absurd.
For the game tonight I have to question team selection but am not suprised at the tactics we employed..it was classic Luggy. We needed to get level at some point...yet once again gave Crewe far too much respect. In fairnes the visitors looked fresher, fiitter, classier and gave us a lesson in how to "close down" in the first 45 minutes.

When we had no choice but to rip-up the Paul Sturrock book of lack lustre football and actually have a go? It got exciting. We showed passion, a modicum of flair and we were left with...if only.

The plus points?? The North Bank was fantastic and it was great to see so many "old faces" in the West. Oh how fantastic Wembley would have been.
Congratulations to all of you in the North Bank. Looking on from the West it was absolutely fantastic to see the North Bank looking as good as I can remember since Luton Town & Stan Collymore. Breathtaking.

Had to end on a positive..

That team he put out yesterday was exactly the team most suggested bar Harris who was injured.

Who would you have put out ?

I am embarassed about the sandwich..it was marked down...like the team.

My concern this morning is for the future. The attendance last night was hardly spectacular. I feel we lost a lot of "floating punters" that witnessed the performance up in Cheshire. Anyone who watched the games on Sky will surely never pay to watch at Roots Hall as the football was incredibly awful. That was down to the manager.

So that leaves the regulars. How many will not pay out to watch Paul Sturrock styleeee football next season? I predict an alarming crash in attendances.

It could all have been so, so different!!

The attendance was only a couple of hundred less than when we were in the league one play off semi which was a Friday night....

Feel much the same but like most I'll be back come August, but can't say I am relishing another season at this level. What I am concerned about is that the club bet the farm on getting promotion and I wonder where this will leave us financially as it's all gone tits up.

Mark my words this league will be tougher next season, Chesterfield & Wycombe coming down, Bristol Rovers won't be as bad again, Fleetwood coming up with money to spend and the fat crook Evans at Rotherham.

After a good nights sleep Im still pretty down about not getting through.

However Im not so bothered about being in League Two as others, another season pushing for promotion is fine by me if thats what it turns out to be.

As with Cricko and Ken though my concern is we dont push on with the style of football. Things did get better and I dont have any complaints about the last half a dozen games. But if we start relying on Dickinson up front on his own again up front then another season of that is hard to imagine.

Ive always said I was happy to put up with it to get us promoted, but it didnt work and we have shown we can play football when we want to, so for me theres no excuse for not trying to be more entertaining next season.

If you go down to the training ground near to the next game, you will see Coughlan working with the back Four expected to play in that game. He and his assistants float the ball in from all angles and at all heights, and the back Four have to clear their lines and push up in a line. It basically is hoof when the boots are clearing the ball. Maybe next season they should stick the midfield in front to encourage them to pass it out of defence when possible, and maintain possession.

I can't help going back to that abandoned game at Aldershot - 3 points virtually in the bag and then the lights go out. The rearranged game happens when Aldershot are on a roll and we end up with nothing. On such unpredictable turns of fortune is automatic promotion won or lost.

I am embarassed about the sandwich..it was marked down...like the team.

My concern this morning is for the future. The attendance last night was hardly spectacular. I feel we lost a lot of "floating punters" that witnessed the performance up in Cheshire. Anyone who watched the games on Sky will surely never pay to watch at Roots Hall as the football was incredibly awful. That was down to the manager.

So that leaves the regulars. How many will not pay out to watch Paul Sturrock styleeee football next season? I predict an alarming crash in attendances.

It could all have been so, so different!!

The attendance was only a couple of hundred less than when we were in the league one play off semi which was a Friday night....

Crowd last night 8,190 Crewe away support 772, so only 7,412 home fans about 1,600 less fans than the Macclesfield game. If you think about it our average home support not including away fans this season is about 5,700 so we could only muster another 1,700 home fans for last nights match. League One play off crowd was 9,109 can't remember how many Doncaster fans?

Many obvious reasons for this - prices, evening game, live TV, scoreline, etc. but still a bit disappointing. Well done to everyone that went and lets keep the North Bank for next season.

Back