• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mighty Shrimper

Manager
After a season of many ups and many downs (more downs than ups!) it has been proved that we're simply not good enough to be at this level. There are some players that are good enough but there are also players that arnt good enough. These Are my views on the players from this season.

Goalkeepers

Flahavan - Its obvious that Flahavan is a great shot stopped and has helped us over the years considerably. There has been times this season when without him we would of conceeded many more goals than we have but on the otherhand, he has cost us alot of goals because of his inabillity to command his area. Clarke, Barrett, Sodje and Prior have most of the time been great but I believe the reason we have been conceeding goals hasnt been because of our inabillity in the middle of the pitch but inabillity in wide areas. In the Championship we have come up against some great wide players who get alot of crosses in, which Flahavan is unable to deal with. Its all well and good being a great shot stopper but its pretty pointless if you're unable to command your area as you will more often than not be caught out, which we have. I wouldnt get rid of Flahavan but I do believe we need a new number one. We need a taller goalie who can command the area and be a good shot stopper. This would take pressure off the full backs and give the defence and bigger confidence boost going into games.

Collis - To be honest, I havent seen alot of Collis this season apart from his substitute appearence away to QPR earlier in the season. From what I saw in this game he looked ok. It wouldnt be fair on him for me to give an oppinion on his all round game on 1 performance.

Defence

Clarke - What a great player we have in Peter Clarke. Fights non stop for the cause and never gives in. He is tall, strong and reads the game well. His distribution is the only part of his game thats lets him down. When he has the ball he doesnt look for a short pass, instead he hits a long ball which gifts the opposition the chance to build another attack. In this situation he needs more composure, a simple short pass to Maher or either full backs and we can build an attack and relieve pressure. Earlier in the season he recieved alot of stick from sections of the crowd, this could easily have caused his confidence to go down having only just arrived at the club and being played out of position but he kept going and has proved to everybody that we must strive to hang onto him.

Barrett - For me, Barrett has been better this season than last season. There were doubts going into this season as to weather he could make yet another step up in class and deal with it. His pace was questioned last season and with many pacey and skillfull strikers in the Championship, one wondered if he could make the grade. He has made the grade and we have missed him for big parts of the season. Like clarke, he is very determined if not more so than his defence counterpart. He never gives up and is an ideal role model for every young player coming into our squad. If you cut him, a river of Blue would flow out. A Future captain.

Sodje - Efe has had an up and down season for me. He hasnt been the rock he was last season and has struggled at time with confidence. He has made afew mistakes this season and hasnt been able to deal with them mentally. IMO, he is good enough for the Championship but is getting on in age. I would keep Efe but only on a 1 year deal.

Prior - Going into the Man Utd game, I wasnt confident at all that Prior would be able to cope with the strikeforce of the eventual Champions of England. How wrong was I. He was fantastic in that game and has been a great servent to the club. Happy Retirement Spinner.

Francis - Going forward, Francis looks dangerous and is a very good crosser of the ball. Defensively, I dont feel he has the abillity the cope. I do however believe he has alot of potential. He is sometimes too relaxed and gives the impression he would rather be somewhere else. The right back area for me has been the biggest problem for us this season and I dont believe Francis should be our first choice right back. His positioning isnt the best and a lack of concentration let him down. I would like to see us keep hold of Francis but as a back up to somebody else.

Hammell - Alot like Francis in that he is good going forward but struggles at the back. Has been caught out this season too far up the pitch and leaves gaps in the left back slot which the opposing team take advantage of. Despite his height, he is surprisingly good at getting up and heading the ball and a very dangerous set piece taker. With my views of Flahavan in mind, Our full back possitions are very important and unfortunately our left and right backs havent been good enough this season which has cost us dear. I dont believe Hammell will be here next season and I think we need to sign a new left back.

Unfortunately I have work at 6am and must therefor be on my way. Part 2 to follow tomorrow!

Some good points there.

Sodje won't be here next season, trust me.

Francis and Hammell will be that much better in League One.

Clarke will be awesome if he stays. Sadly, he came to Southend because he didn't want to play in L1 with Blackpool. How ironic that Blackpool may be passing us in the other direction.

Hope Barrett sees out the rest of his career with us and does indeed become captain the bloke a LEGEND as far as I concerned. Massive part of team that wins back to back promotions.

A quick look on Soccerbase shows that AB played in 28 out of 46 league games this season. In that time we conceeded 47 goals or 1.68 goals per game.

In the other 18 league matches that he missed through injury we conceeded 33 goals or 1.83 goals per game.

So we're officially a stronger (less weak?) team with Barrett in the side than we are without him. Good point well made, *ORM*.

A quick look on Soccerbase shows that AB played in 28 out of 46 league games this season. In that time we conceeded 47 goals or 1.68 goals per game.

In the other 18 league matches that he missed through injury we conceeded 33 goals or 1.83 goals per game.

So we're officially a stronger (less weak?) team with Barrett in the side than we are without him. Good point well made, *ORM*.

Thanks for researching those statistics Beefy. It's another example of ORM spouting rubbish, while no-one was biting without proof. I think ORM just has a fascination of thinking players are sh*te who are actual legends. Flavs, Barrett and Freddy all spring to mind and it absolutely amazes me. And Maher he loved when everyone hated, he must be gutted Maher is one of our best players now. :guns:

On a slightly different stat note, and i know totally pointless but when Francis played and started at right back we conceded an average of 1.86 goals per game.

And when Hunt started at right back we conceded slightly less at 1.80 goals per game.

A bit more interesting stat is that when Francis played Right back and Hunt left back we only conceded 1.4 goals per game and actually managed to take 8 points from a possible 15 and coincided with our best run of the season.

CONCLUSION: I think it is past my bedtime

Clarke will be awesome if he stays. Sadly, he came to Southend because he didn't want to play in L1 with Blackpool. How ironic that Blackpool may be passing us in the other direction.

This is exactly what I thought. To be honest, if that does happen and they leapfrog us, my bet would be on them coming back in for him with a bid. From what I understand they might have a bit of money behind them and will be able to afford it.

I imagine we would definitely get more than we paid for him as we gave him a decent length of deal but we shouldn't be blind to the way in which he left Blackpool to suit his ambitions.

This is exactly what I thought. To be honest, if that does happen and they leapfrog us, my bet would be on them coming back in for him with a bid. From what I understand they might have a bit of money behind them and will be able to afford it.

I imagine we would definitely get more than we paid for him as we gave him a decent length of deal but we shouldn't be blind to the way in which he left Blackpool to suit his ambitions.

£10m from what I hear if they win the playoffs.
Bet they wish it was still in Cardiff with their Millennium record, P2, W2.
Personally I'd love to see a Yeovil v Blackpool playoff final!

Thanks for coming up with the FACTS Beefy. I'm happy to put the argument to bed.

No secret then that in each of those 28 games 3 other defenders have had to work twice as hard, leaving them too knackered to cope for the other 18. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

The real point about AB and our defence in general is that it doesn't matter how blue the blood is just look at the style of the four goals we conceded last Sunday. It's not hard to work out where we need new blood.

Thanks for researching those statistics Beefy. It's another example of ORM spouting rubbish, while no-one was biting without proof. I think ORM just has a fascination of thinking players are sh*te who are actual legends. Flavs, Barrett and Freddy all spring to mind and it absolutely amazes me. And Maher he loved when everyone hated, he must be gutted Maher is one of our best players now. :guns:

Yea that's right Mr Moderator. You just carry on setting your example by negative repping loads of people every day just for the sheer hell of it. Pr!ck. :guns:

Well hammell and Francis should be here next season I think, hammell possibly going if anyone comes in for him, but they should both be quality in league 1, Hunt has looked good this season so it will be a fight for the right back berth.

AB for future captain indeed, hopefully he will be the next Maher, but it would be even better as he is from southend!

Yea that's right Mr Moderator. You just carry on setting your example by negative repping loads of people every day just for the sheer hell of it. Pr!ck. :guns:

Now now, calm down old man. No need for personal abuse :p

"Loads of people"?! Another unsubstantive 'fact' from you?! Maybe Beefy could help me out with these stats again!

Don't really neg rep too much these days - apart from people who think Freddy, Flavs and Barrett are all sh*te :hilarious: :flamer:

Back