• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My worry for next season.

DTS

The Business
Speaking to a lot of fans on saturday I was suprised by the amount of people that think were going to find it easy in L2 next season. Ron Martin kind of said the same in his "Morecombe" interview.

I cant help but think Tilson is going to need a team of fighters next season. Having seen a lot of L2 football in my going to matches peak my main memory is that 90% of it is braun and bulk and about 10% skill.

I seem to recall Lincoln having loads of massive and equally cluesless players and yet them being fairly sucessful.

I fear that unless Tilly signs some bigger, more battle weary pros were going to really find it hard to cope with the physical side of L2. I dont personally think you can play your way out of that level.

I agree, I also feel, the standard of referee's deteriorates the further down the leagues you go. Players get less protection, Tilly likes to think we are a 'Footballing side'. My feeling is (as I have seen some recent league two football) that it is more
physical.

On the plus side, from what I've seen the goalkeeping standard, on the whole is a lot worse, so a shot that would have just been on target in league one would produce more goals (we might score one a game then!)

This is just my view on what I have seen, and no doubt some of you may have witnessed outstanding goalkeeping displays.

Speaking to a lot of fans on saturday I was suprised by the amount of people that think were going to find it easy in L2 next season. Ron Martin kind of said the same in his "Morecombe" interview.

I cant help but think Tilson is going to need a team of fighters next season. Having seen a lot of L2 football in my going to matches peak my main memory is that 90% of it is braun and bulk and about 10% skill.

I seem to recall Lincoln having loads of massive and equally cluesless players and yet them being fairly sucessful.

I fear that unless Tilly signs some bigger, more battle weary pros were going to really find it hard to cope with the physical side of L2. I dont personally think you can play your way out of that level.

Yet when was the last time Lincoln was promoted?

Talking about this before Saturday's game --- RM will want to use our youth players , they don't require big wages, but how will they cope against the cloggers and battle-hardened old pros kicking about in League 2 ?

I agree, I also feel, the standard of referee's deteriorates the further down the leagues you go. Players get less protection, Tilly likes to think we are a 'Footballing side'. My feeling is (as I have seen some recent league two football) that it is more
physical.

Referees for League 2 are drawn from the same pool as League 1. Do not expect any improvement or deterioration in the standard of match officials.

Referees for League 2 are drawn from the same pool as League 1. Do not expect any improvement or deterioration in the standard of match officials.

Does that mean there is no escape from the legends that are Keith Hill and Trevor Kettle ?

Having seen a few of the better Div 2 teams this season, Notts County apart, the division is poo! I've seen Cheltenham, Shrewsbury & Aldershot & with half the team we've been putting out should be enough to beat them. Anybody with a bit of class stands out a mile & for example, Laurent should be able to take the pee out of most teams. Pace is a must as most defenders are lumps & lack a bit of pace which why the likes of Hughes & the little scumbag (I can't remember his name!) took the pee through either class or pace, which either of them had.

I will have more of an idea after Saturday of what we will have to measure ourselves against, as I'm going to watch Morecambe (My 100th League ground) play Aldershot. Thats assuming I don't get stuck in the sands at Morecambe Bay, of course!

If TefRon thinks we can walk it with kids, he will get a nasty shock. Crawford apart, none of our kids will cope with the sheer physical nature of that divison! Wake up TefRon & get ready for a weekly war!

Having seen a few of the better Div 2 teams this season, Notts County apart, the division is poo! I've seen Cheltenham, Shrewsbury & Aldershot & with half the team we've been putting out should be enough to beat them. Anybody with a bit of class stands out a mile & for example, Laurent should be able to take the pee out of most teams. Pace is a must as most defenders are lumps & lack a bit of pace which why the likes of Hughes & the little scumbag (I can't remember his name!) took the pee through either class or pace, which either of them had.

I will have more of an idea after Saturday of what we will have to measure ourselves against, as I'm going to watch Morecambe (My 100th League ground) play Aldershot. Thats assuming I don't get stuck in the sands at Morecambe Bay, of course!

If TefRon thinks we can walk it with kids, he will get a nasty shock. Crawford apart, none of our kids will cope with the sheer physical nature of that divison! Wake up TefRon & get ready for a weekly war!

Exactly,

I think we need to sign a few L2 players knowing full well if we go up they may not be up to scratch.

My biggest worry for next year is that the amount of dross and crap already posted on SZ will increase further....

League two isn't all that different from league one.

Everyone says that the further you go down the more physical it gets, but the division we got physically found out in was the champion$hite.

You need strong players in each division, just like you need good players in each division. We seem to be missing both.

Exactly,

I think we need to sign a few L2 players knowing full well if we go up they may not be up to scratch.

Three defenders I've like the look off in Div 2 are Cheltenham's Townsend, Shrewsbury's Cansdell-Sherriff & Aldershot's Winfield. All good ball winners and with the Shrew's player, a bit more of ball player too. All that said, Winfield got sent off when I saw him play for the worst attempted head-butt ever!

If Tilson stays i can see him trying to play his football on the deck like the last time we were in league 2, wether we will get the players to carry to carry out this superior brand of football is another matter.

If Tilson stays i can see him trying to play his football on the deck like the last time we were in league 2, wether we will get the players to carry to carry out this superior brand of football is another matter.

We haven't been trying to play football this season either.

Well we managed it last time we was in this division.

You have to be able to mix it up in League Two, that is for sure though. At home, where we have a very good pitch, and at other grounds we will be able to get the ball on the deck and knock it about (if we have the players capable of this) but on a cold, wet Tuesday night up at Accrington we will have to be able to give as good as we get and put our tackles in and fight for the points.

I fail to see how anyone can predict how we will perform next season, until we know who is going and who we are able to attract to the club to bolster our threadbare squad.

I think staying in a division is a walk in the park compared to geting out of one.. even the conference!. To get out you have to win the majority of your home games and get at least a point away and have goal contributions from all over the pitch especially midfield. Last season our biggest problem was that all our midfield saw themselves as holding players, what we lacked was a Gower or Ginger tosser to pitch in their share. Even Maher got on the score sheet and Barrett coming up for corners.

Back