• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Myspace music - Changing things for the better?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know/care

• What's Myspace?

• Total voters

hexagon_sun

Manager
A simple question - do you think the "Myspace revolution" is changing the music industry for the better?

I'm just curious to see how many poeple here frequent the site and use it to find new music. Personally, I think it's a great thing - for a start it means that anybody making music can now have a web presence at no cost at all. A little bit of communism within a global capitalist industry. Despite the fact that every band and it's dog now has a Myspace Music page, on Myspace Radiohead, The Flaming Lips and Bjork are competing on the same level playing field (albeit with a considerable head start) as novemthree, Bosque Brown and Eidas Mai (to name just 3 of my favourite recent Myspace discoveries). I love the way that by finding the page of 1 band you like you can follow a trail and end up discovering far more great music than you would by reading the NME or listening to Radio 1.

I despise the corporate music industry and for a while now, I've been making a concerted effort to distance myself from it in every way. I no longer read the music press, listen to music radio or watch music television. If I want an album on a major label I make sure I download it illegally. For free. On the flipside, I do everything I can to find truly innovative music to listen to and wherever possible I buy it direct from the labels (or - even better - the bands) and support real talent at a grass roots level away from the bullsh!t we've all been spoon-fed for so many years by clueless ponytailed p%&*ks in expensive suits who don't know jack f%&king sh!t about real artistic integrity. Myspace makes it easier than ever to cut out the major labels and chainstores and support artists and labels directly.

I know the majors are bound to muscle in at some point and try to take Myspace over and use it as a tool for plugging all their vacuous, inane, bland tripe but in the meantime, vive la revolution!

I think it's funny the number of people who won't buy the Sun because of Murdoch, yet visit Myspace, which is owned by Murdoch!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 15 2006,17:09)]I think it's funny the number of people who won't buy the Sun because of Murdoch, yet visit Myspace, which is owned by Murdoch!

laugh.gif
I don't care who owns Myspace - like I say, it's working wonders for folks who are making great music outside of the corporate music scene.

I don't buy The Sun cos it's f%&king sh!t.

I think it's improving it as whenever i think about buying an album and I don't know that many songs by a band MySpace is the only place to find a few of their songs. Thats what i did with the recently purchased 12 stops and home.

Yeah I think its great (if you ignore the t%$$&rs), my band (ex band
down.gif
) has got a profile on there and its a good way to get in touch with and hear other bands. I've got my own personal profile aswell (geek alert!).

Sadly, I think it's only a matter of time before the music industry manages to market through Myspace although I have to admit I've not used it much if at all

I think the internet in general is a tool that's certainly helping the music industry to evolve, but it's just the latest in a long line of mediums to do so over many years.

I use the site to search out different bands I like but not just the site exclusively, often if I hear a song on a radio station or read about a band in the music press then I'll check them out on myspace.

The greatest way to get a new band heard is through word of mouth and what myspace does is speeds that process up and broadens it geographically. Rather than hand tapes or CDs out in their local area which get copied and passed on to like minded people a band can reach the world with a website and word is spread through message baords and emails.

With that in mind myspace is part of a msuical evolution not revolution in my opinion - but I am a fan none the less.

Back