• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

n-n-n- n- nineteen ...the average age

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
of a US infantryman serving in Vietnam and the average age of Wengers
Arsenal team last night ....

seems sort of topical at SUFC the moment - how far can we go with the young
players ..?

You've got to take your hat off to Wenger who is prepared to give his talented youngsters a competitive game rather than rely on his usual players.
Average age of the starting eleven was 19 with the youngest only 16 and with another 16 year old on the subs bench.:)

The thing with that Arsenal team though are that they are both young and brilliant.

I'm no Arsenal fan but I'd love to see them win the lot this year.

You've got to take your hat off to Wenger who is prepared to give his talented youngsters a competitive game rather than rely on his usual players.
Average age of the starting eleven was 19 with the youngest only 16 and with another 16 year old on the subs bench.:)

Don't give him too much credit, he just does not care about the competition and he see's it as a chance to see how the youngsters get on in a 1st team game. He would never do it in a meaningless league game. but i will give him credit for his knowledge of the market, but he seems to tire of some of his young talent. Bentley for one. under wenger bentley would have replaced beckham ages ago.

Don't give him too much credit, he just does not care about the competition and he see's it as a chance to see how the youngsters get on in a 1st team game. He would never do it in a meaningless league game. but i will give him credit for his knowledge of the market, but he seems to tire of some of his young talent. Bentley for one. under wenger bentley would have replaced beckham ages ago.

Bentleys ego preceeds him ? Micah Richards pushed down to under 21's though seems a strange decision

Last edited:

It was Wenger who sold a young Bentley to Blackburn, having failed to give him much in the way of first team opportunities at Arsenal.

Bentley isn't anywhere near good enough to get into the Arsenal first team. Wenger saw that and moved him on (for a huge fee after the 25% sell-on).

I bet it wasn't Sheffields 1st eleven though. But that wouldn't have made such good headlines.

Sheffields team, with ratings by Slipperduke:

SHEFFIELD UNITED

Paddy Kenny 4, Greg Halford 4, Gary Naysmith 4, David Cotterill 4 (Kyle Naughton 4), Chris Morgan 3, Matthew Kilgannon 3, James Beattie 3 (Jordan Robertson 4), Danny Webber 4, Gary Speed 5 (Lee Hendrie 4), Nick Montgomery 3, Stephen Quinn 4

Pretty much the first team.

Back