• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Named Strikers

shrimpfan

Manager
Its not just about named strikers and goal scoring records.
Think where Stan came from, who had heard of him?
Its about watching matches, talking to people, will they fit in. Any body here don't like them, woman,kids,schools,transfer fees,signing on fees,agent fees,keeping you lot happy.
I found some players with past goal records on the net easy?
Dont know the answer to the above thou, didn't have that on the net.

Fair point. Tilly hasn't really gone for big names in the past, and I will trust his judgement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Jan. 12 2006,18:31)]Out of interest, can anybody recall the general reaction of the fans to the signing of Stan, prior to his debut?
I recall the reaction was neutral to positive given that we were having such a shocking season (anything different was going to be welcome) but we had warmed to him within minutes and he linked up well with Steve Brown from the youth team as the likes og Brett Angell wa injured I believe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Jan. 12 2006,18:31)]Out of interest, can anybody recall the general reaction of the fans to the signing of Stan, prior to his debut?
Certainly do - one of despair generally. The name didn't help - conjured up images of brylcreem, long shorts, and steel toe capped boots to be honest. How wrong we were.

[b said:
I used to work in the Westcliff Hotel, where Colin Murphy was a regular. When asked about Stan, his reply was 'Going to be worth a lot of money'....not wrong there.

Think it was called that not sure
went to meetings down the esplanade and railway pubs
marched down to civic centre, gus gave speech to the council
waste off time bad days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpfan @ Jan. 12 2006,20:06)]Think it was called that not sure
went to meetings down the esplanade  and railway pubs
marched down to civic centre, gus gave speech to the council
waste off time bad days.
As vice chairman of "United for Southend" I too boycotted the Notts County game. General view on Colleymore was that he was an inadequate "knee-jerk" replacement for Benjamin who's departure was another stick to hit Vic with. We were wrong.
Regards "UfS" I don't think it was a waste of time but, initially at least, we were duped by our "kindly old uncle".

Yea, all I remember is being gutted about Benji's depature (same day or day before?) as me and my SUFC mates were talking about it at work - we all worked together too.

I'd heard the name Collymore before and knew a little about him, but as far as I knew he was just a young kid at Palace.

I remember getting into the ground and watching the warm-up as I walked down the West Bank stairs trying to pick out Stan and kept thinking he looked huge!

The rest is history - what a debut - not just the goals, but the breath-taking performace and the shock that if he really was THIS good then why did Palace let him go and how exciting were the upcoming matches going to be!

I had never heard of him and, like WS, thought "Who?"

After his debut, to me he looked the complete footballer. He had pace, power, was skilfull, good in the air and could use both feet. I thought "Why on earth is he here? He must have an attitude problem."

I think that didn't manifest itself when he was here as there was absolutely no expectation from him and he achieved instant hero status within 10 minutes. Before he was here I gather there were problems with him, perhaps because he didn't make that immediate impact.

After he left, there was always an expectation and big price which maybe he found difficult to live up to. Let's face it, he wouldn't be the first one.

He has often said that Southend was where he was happiest. I know he is registered on this board and would love to know why he thinks that was the case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 12 2006,18:27)]Fair point. Tilly hasn't really gone for big names in the past, and I will trust his judgement.
Other than Lloyd Owusu, who is a big name it this level.

Interesting (OK, probably just to me) that he is a striker too. I get the impression that strikers seem to havea higher profile than players in other postions.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Jan. 13 2006,08:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 12 2006,18:27)]Fair point. Tilly hasn't really gone for big names in the past, and I will trust his judgement.
Other than Lloyd Owusu, who is a big name it this level.

Interesting (OK, probably just to me) that he is a striker too. I get the impression that strikers seem to havea higher profile than players in other postions.....
Micheal Bridges, Marcus Stewart....

Although both relatively useless these days

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Jan. 12 2006,18:40)]
[b said:
Certainly do - one of despair generally. The name didn't help - conjured up images of brylcreem, long shorts, and steel toe capped boots to be honest. How wrong we were.
As I recall, the reaction on the North Bank was best summed up as "bemused mirth" - i.e. who the hell is he, and what's with the daft name?!

After he tore Notts County to shreds on his debut, it's fair to say that our impression of him at 4.45pm was ever so slightly different from that which we'd had at 3pm...

laugh.gif

One of my schoolmates was a schoolboy at Southend at the time, and I remember him coming up to me in the week before the Notts County game and saying to watch out for a bloke called Stan, said he was the nuts.

I was cautious about this at first, as new players can go in hard i their first sessions to impress, and my mate was only a schoolboy as well. But he was dead right. What a star!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ Jan. 13 2006,16:41)]Big name signing
rock.gif
we already did that, signing Goater
biggrin.gif
How's "Goater" a big name? It's only got 6 letters!

Campbell-Ryce is clearly the big name signing, although I'd secretly been holding out for Vennegoor of Hesselink...

upside.gif

Back