• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Naproxyn or Naproxen

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My new med' is the above. Reading the possible side effects is enough to scare the brave! Have you been on this - and what side-effects did you experience?

You'll get a mish-mash of unqualified advice on here. If you have concerns about your prescription, then speak to your GP or a medical professional.

Thanks, I have. I'm not asking for advice, just people's experiences.

The doc' said - possible stomach upset. The leaflet supplied with Naproxen says a lot more!

Here we go...

Possibility of stroke, cardiac arrest, diarrhoea, constipation, hallucinations, severe stomach pain, internal bleeding, severe skin rash, severe farts (OK that's a plus!) ... I'd rather suffer the pain!

Ive been put on naproxen 3 times in last 14 months as I had a suspected hernia but after a scan it turned out to be a long term pelvic injury that I still suffer with, always for the first couple of days they upset my stomach a little but after that when the tablets kicked in I carried on running and playing football and it stops you from hurting or aching after running or playing games, felt like I could run every day but you don't know the damage you are doing to your body due to the tablets, I still have three weeks left to take but am only going to take them if I'm in a lot of pain due to still playing footie even tho I shouldnt:blush:

Thanks, I have. I'm not asking for advice, just people's experiences.

The doc' said - possible stomach upset. The leaflet supplied with Naproxen says a lot more!

Here we go...

Possibility of stroke, cardiac arrest, diarrhoea, constipation, hallucinations, severe stomach pain, internal bleeding, severe skin rash, severe farts (OK that's a plus!) ... I'd rather suffer the pain!

With many medications knowing with certainty the likelihood of a side effect occurring is very difficult to ascertain, especially when you suffer from a nebulous and systemic condition. Fibromyalgia can cause stomach issues, so it's hard to know what is the condition and what is the medication. I spend my working life doing this.

Normally, side effects are classified as:

Very common: more than 1 in 10 people are affected
Common: between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people are affected
Uncommon: between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1,000 people are affected
Rare: between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 10,000 people are affected
Very rare: fewer than 1 in 10,000 people are affected

The doctor should know from their experience what the most common side effects are, so in some ways they are a better source of information than the drug information, because the data can be old and patchy.

Don't forget they weigh up the risks of side-effects against the benefits the medication may provide, so they (should be) doing some of the thinking from you. Having said that, if you're still concerned, then go back and speak to them.

Naproxen is an NSAID (like ibuprofen). If you have stomach issues then speak to your doctor because they can prescribe something to help (a PPI)

The pain is just in the left shoulder - but as I paly bass guitar I'd rather the pain was elsewhere! (As opposed to not at all, of course)

I took it without side effects (except of course for the ongoing brain disorder) but a mate of mine said it gave him the squirts.

Naproxen is great - I take the odd dose when I feel jointy or run down to stop my infective arthritis kicking in. The only side effects I noticed were drowsiness really. Very effective as a painkiller.

I'm doing the stage lighting for the Big Bash festival @ Plough Westcliff - last thing I want is to dash off every 10 minutes!

They sell Naproxen as an OTC painkiller in the US. You can buy 500 tablets at a time from the WalMart. I find that it does mess with your stomach a little, but I wouldn't worry.

You'll get a mish-mash of unqualified advice on here. If you have concerns about your prescription, then speak to your GP or a medical professional.

I'd be particularly wary of people claiming to be doctors just because they might have a PhD....

They sell Naproxen as an OTC painkiller in the US. You can buy 500 tablets at a time from the WalMart. I find that it does mess with your stomach a little, but I wouldn't worry.

Drug commercials are brilliant in the US. Spend 5 seconds telling you what the drug will do then 25 seconds listing all the bad stuff they might do. Surprised anyone takes anything over there :smile:

It seems like an odd diagnosis (who has previously worked under rheumatologists) that they diagnosed you with fibro when you only have pain in one shoulder.

Back