• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nathan Bishop - England Call Up

This is great news for Nathan and the Club, but we mustn't forget that Teddy Smith was also a regular youth international and it hasn't really helped him since. Another thing that I noticed when looking at the squad was how many Brentford youngsters have made the party, and it is also noticeable that there are only a few Premiership club players there. I'm not sure what that tells me.

So that was played 3..lost 3...great
thanks for the reply

This is great news for Nathan and the Club, but we mustn't forget that Teddy Smith was also a regular youth international and it hasn't really helped him since. Another thing that I noticed when looking at the squad was how many Brentford youngsters have made the party, and it is also noticeable that there are only a few Premiership club players there. I'm not sure what that tells me.

Without unfortunate injuries, we’d be talking differently about Ted Smith. Bentley was very close to an u21s call up with us too. Shows they’re recognised as high quality nationally for their age and if development continues, can become great goalkeepers.

Without unfortunate injuries, we’d be talking differently about Ted Smith. Bentley was very close to an u21s call up with us too. Shows they’re recognised as high quality nationally for their age and if development continues, can become great goalkeepers.
Sorry, I was probably a bit clumsy in my post. I agree that injuries have hampered his development and he may yet climb the success ladder, and I really hope he does, but nothing is ever certain. What is certain is that the Club has an excellent reputation for G/K production.

This is great news for Nathan and the Club, but we mustn't forget that Teddy Smith was also a regular youth international and it hasn't really helped him since. Another thing that I noticed when looking at the squad was how many Brentford youngsters have made the party, and is alsoit noticeable that there are only a few Premiership club players there. I'm not sure what that tells me.

It tells me that premiership clubs generally pay for there success through the transfer market buying players from abroad. Rather than paying to develop home grown talent through academies.

It tells me that premiership clubs generally pay for there success through the transfer market buying players from abroad. Rather than paying to develop home grown talent through academies.
The international age groups at 15/16/17/18/19 are laden with premier league clubs players....with 90/95% of squads made up with players from Tottenham/Arsenal/Man U/Man city and Chelsea.

This was the whole point behind the EPPP which aimed at bringing the best young players to the biggest and best clubs as soon as possible. The gap between youth players at cat 1 and some cat 2 compared with some cat 2 and cat 3/4 is staggering....

Of course this doesn’t change the fact that they have no pathway in these clubs and by the time you reach the 20/21 groups players with football league experience will start to gain recognition over those still playing u23s football and that invariably means players in Championship and league 1 as opposed to Premier League.....

Last edited:
The international age groups at 15/16/17/18/19 are laden with premier league clubs players....with 90/95% of squads made up with players from Tottenham/Arsenal/Man U/Man city and Chelsea.

This was the whole point behind the EPPP which aimed at bringing the best young players to the biggest and best clubs as soon as possible. The gap between youth players at cat 1 and some cat 2 compared with some cat 2 and cat 3/4 is staggering....

Of course this doesn’t change the fact that they have no pathway in these clubs and by the time you reach the 20/21 groups players with football league experience will start to gain recognition over those still playing u23s football and that invariably means players in Championship and league 1 as opposed to Premier League.....

That was my point. Thank you for clarifying

That was my point. Thank you for clarifying

No but that wasn’t your point...your point, I thought, was that the premier league clubs don’t have the players of that quality in their ranks because they opt to buy in from abroad?

Whilst I don’t disagree with that completely, the fact is the premier league clubs DO have English talent, in abundance, within their ranks but they are playing u23 football and so the England sides at 20/21 generally see players who have football league experience making appearances over the premier league clubs players who are still playing 23s.....

Well done Bish unfortunately doesn't look like we can see your performance on the telly tonight

Finished 4-0 and Bish played the whole game, absolutley brilliant to see his name alongside all those players from Premier League and big Championship clubs.

One of our own

D8zysQeXoAALRIP.jpg

it was inevitable that being in the England set up would attract big clubs - are Spurs being cheeky with £200 k offer , id want double that at least and loaned back to us for starters

it was inevitable that being in the England set up would attract big clubs - are Spurs being cheeky with £200 k offer , id want double that at least and loaned back to us for starters

If he goes anywhere it's unlikely to include a loan back deal unless he's going to be guaranteed the number one at Southend.

Back