• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Behind The Scenes Nathan Ralph already in training for next season

I could be wrong but it looks to me like he is running to his shed to grab a can out the fridge and stick a Rustlers in the microwave.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the conditioning work has got to do with his injury problems?
You would expect a professional footballer in the modern age to stay in shape during the close season.
Am guessing he's done this work in the close-season past, but he's not the luckiest, as the last seven seasons have shown.
The time has long gone when players would return and told to work off the excess accumulated during the break.
The reason why Zoners 'bang on' about his injury concerns, is because, like Everest, they're there.

I know Chris has pages and online inches to fill, but I want to know if there's anything extra he's doing to try and avoid injury for the eighth season in a row.

You would expect a professional footballer in the modern age to stay in shape during the close season.
Am guessing he's done this work in the close-season past, but he's not the luckiest, as the last seven seasons have shown.
The time has long gone when players would return and told to work off the excess accumulated during the break.
The reason why Zoners 'bang on' about his injury concerns, is because, like Everest, they're there.
He has not been lucky at all has he with injuries. But it is that i think- unlucky.

Regrettably, I'm not sure its the case that all players these days return in the shape that might be described as "optimal'. There are pros who return pretty much at similar fitness levels, don't drink, eat the right things, look after themselves. One end of the spectrum. And at the other those who do none of these things. Most are somewhere in between- but it should be part of the recruitment process/analysis as particularly as the years pass its a likely predictor of "legs going" or being "injury prone", and, in younger players, at the least impacting match fitness or "sharpness". Of course, there are many exceptions to the rule but its about getting the odds in your favour and in the end that will pay off.

I would imagine the more strength and conditioning you do, the less likely you are to be badly injured. The more work he puts in the less likely he is to be out or long periods. That's not a guarantee, all he can do is work hard to minimise the risk, but of course all this will make a difference.

I would imagine the more strength and conditioning you do, the less likely you are to be badly injured. The more work he puts in the less likely he is to be out or long periods. That's not a guarantee, all he can do is work hard to minimise the risk, but of course all this will make a difference.
Up to a point, I agree.
But there is little to prevent a tug; a pull; a twist too hard that affects certain types of physique.
Take someone like Aleksandr Mitrovic at Fulham, built like a tank, and rarely injured.
Ralph is slighter and more susceptible to things like thigh strains that kept him out for the last 11 games.
I was at that Alty match when he was injured, and I don't remember a challenge that caused it, although willing to be corrected.
Yes, you can work at it as much as possible, but even then, one can't overdo it for the obvious reasons.
The original premise that by doing this work he will be 'ready' for the season is no guarantee after so many setbacks he'll see it through.
His body has taken its toll over the last eight years. I for one, hope he's ready, willing and able as Mr Domino crooned.

Up to a point, I agree.
But there is little to prevent a tug; a pull; a twist too hard that affects certain types of physique.
Take someone like Aleksandr Mitrovic at Fulham, built like a tank, and rarely injured.
Ralph is slighter and more susceptible to things like thigh strains that kept him out for the last 11 games.
I was at that Alty match when he was injured, and I don't remember a challenge that caused it, although willing to be corrected.
Yes, you can work at it as much as possible, but even then, one can't overdo it for the obvious reasons.
The original premise that by doing this work he will be 'ready' for the season is no guarantee after so many setbacks he'll see it through.
His body has taken its toll over the last eight years. I for one, hope he's ready, willing and able as Mr Domino crooned.
We none of us know whether he will be either ready or capable of lasting the rigours of the season. All he can do is prepare as best he can. What I do know is that Maher and Co believe there is enough there to persevere with, and that they are very keen to do. So therefore it doesn't really matter what my view of it may be. If I knew who Mr Domino was I may agree with you, sadly I don't have a clue. Must be an age thing.

Up to a point, I agree.
But your strength and conditioning work will allow your body to ride those challenges better.

We none of us know whether he will be either ready or capable of lasting the rigours of the season. All he can do is prepare as best he can. What I do know is that Maher and Co believe there is enough there to persevere with, and that they are very keen to do. So therefore it doesn't really matter what my view of it may be. If I knew who Mr Domino was I may agree with you, sadly I don't have a clue. Must be an age thing.
No, it's an ignorance thing - in the nicest possible way, ie you don't know.
After all, Fats Domino is an icon, surely?
I never understand anyone, as you hinted, who says before my time.
That renders music history pointless, if so.

No, it's an ignorance thing - in the nicest possible way, ie you don't know.
After all, Fats Domino is an icon, surely?
I never understand anyone, as you hinted, who says before my time.
That renders music history pointless, if so.
I was born in 1951, that makes me 71 this year. and yes, I have heard of Fats Domino. I didn't recognise the 'Mr Domino' from your post, so, apologies for my ignorance, but there you go.

Yeah, let's hope so.
I wonder what he did pre-season since 2015? Please don't tell me he's only just discovered the need for this work.
It's nothing to do with that. All the work you do builds on previous work, but when you're out injured you start from a long way back. I suspect some of his injuries are due to not being able to put in all the work needed before we needed him in the team.

Of course, none of this is a guarantee. All it can do is help minimise the chances of injury. He can't help it, for example, if he's the victim of a really bad challenge.

I was born in 1951, that makes me 71 this year. and yes, I have heard of Fats Domino. I didn't recognise the 'Mr Domino' from your post, so, apologies for my ignorance, but there you go.
Oh no it doesn't. I should know 😉

Reactions: RHB
Back