• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nathan Ralph and his last two-and-a-bit seasons

Ralph is high on energy and effort which endears him to fans. Defensively he's not that solid, and his positioning isn't great though. If we're trying to tighten up at the back, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kyprianou get game time soon.

A good way to judge Ralph would be to compare the number of crosses that come in from the opposition right flank compared to the number that are stopped.

A good way to judge Ralph would be to compare the number of crosses that come in from the opposition right flank compared to the number that are stopped.

You also need to compare what support he is getting from the player in front of him compared to the other wing

You also need to compare what support he is getting from the player in front of him compared to the other wing
Which is naff all with Hutchinson in front of him but more so with Macca there, a left side of Macca and Ralph is ok for this league. We have much bigger issues to be solved in central mid and defence

people overlook how important confidence is to players. our clearly lack any, it's hardly surprising given our record in 2019
Yes, it's confidence.
And motivation.
And commitment.
And fitness.
And how the team is set-up.
And what's covered effectively in training.
And how much you are lifted/protected/covered/not let down by the players around you.

At this moment in time, with the exception of fitness (which I couldn't comment on for him personally), Ralph is being painfully let down by all of the above to a greater or lesser degree.

At the beginning, of Nathan's stint with us, he was lauded and applauded for his performances and looked like a very good acquisition. I am sure he will prove to be as good as once suggested. There are many things to fix before we look at the strengths or frailties of individual players. If a coach had told Usain Bolt to come out of the blocks slowly, and not dominate races, he would have looked poor. This team of ours needs continuity of guidance, and the kind of guidance that takes into account the league we are in and the players abilities.

Judging by what I read on SZ its seems that I tend to see things differently to others and this thread supports that further. I think Ralph is a weak link and gets targeted but the opposition and without knowing the stats it seems that a lot of conceded goals came from his flank. I also think he gets beat extremely easily as well as getting caught of position on the regular.

Purely based on a video of him that I saw on FB or Twitter I thought he looked great but so far I haven't seen much to be impressed with. Yes, he does put in the odd good cross as he did Saturday for Dieng's goal but defensively he looks poor and not even that great going forward either.

Which is naff all with Hutchinson in front of him but more so with Macca there, a left side of Macca and Ralph is ok for this league. We have much bigger issues to be solved in central mid and defence

Do your homework and you’ll find that Hutchinson has t played in front of Ralph in a single game. He played left mid in front of Blackman at Orient until he was sent off and he played 45 mins in front of Ralph coming off the bench at ht v MK Dons when we won our only league game.

Buffoon.

So Ralph comes back in and looks to make up for his stupid sending off..... Has his best game since Cov and his reward is not encouragement from his fans but a thread to slag him off for the failings of Dundee........Seems to me its now not just the players letting the club down.

Last edited:
Do your homework and you’ll find that Hutchinson has t played in front of Ralph in a single game. He played left mid in front of Blackman at Orient until he was sent off and he played 45 mins in front of Ralph v MK Dons when we won our only league game.
Great post.
...becoming a **** post. No need for the last line is there?

...becoming a **** post. No need for the last line is there?

Agreed and apologies. But our fans are becoming as embarrassing as some of the players!! They don’t even watch just form opinions based on other opinions which are based on other people’s perceived ideas!!

So Ralph comes back in and looks to make up for his stupid sending off..... Has his best game since Cov and his reward is not encouragement from his fans but thread to slag him off for the failings of Dundee........Seems to me its now not just the players letting the club down.

Reward?

He has long way to go before he earns any reward let alone makes up for the last couple of months.

What reward were you considering? A defensive coaching manual?

Do your homework and you’ll find that Hutchinson has t played in front of Ralph in a single game. He played left mid in front of Blackman at Orient until he was sent off and he played 45 mins in front of Ralph coming off the bench at ht v MK Dons when we won our only league game.

Buffoon.
Easy tiger, think you'll find they switch flanks during a game

Easy tiger, think you'll find they switch flanks during a game

No they don’t. Not for any length of time. And if your referring to the goal v Fleetwood, they’d swapped to take corner and again it was Blackman playing left back that day too.

Cheers tiger

So Ralph comes back in and looks to make up for his stupid sending off..... Has his best game since Cov and his reward is not encouragement from his fans but a thread to slag him off for the failings of Dundee........Seems to me its now not just the players letting the club down.
Actually, when I started the thread it was to wonder out loud whether his time at Woking and Dundee have deflated the lad?
And while we're here, surely he contributed to the Dundee failings, at least for an 11th part.

Reward?

He has long way to go before he earns any reward let alone makes up for the last couple of months.

What reward were you considering? A defensive coaching manual?

A play on the word reward.....Good stuff.

Silly me, I forgot that so many of us fans suffer from Maher syndrome.......(Hate any new arrival until her has more than proved you wrong.) If you can find fault, then find it. Even if there is a positive, then bring up any previous games in which YOU think he never played well.

The last thing we want is a young player to come good and prove us wrong.

No they don’t. Not for any length of time. And if your referring to the goal v Fleetwood, they’d swapped to take corner and again it was Blackman playing left back that day too.

Cheers tiger[/QUOTE

Feisty one aren't you.
Look the games I've seen Macca has been far superior to Hutchinson at tracking back left/right whatever and I'm pretty sure most would agree, hardly a buffoon talking.

Actually, when I started the thread it was to wonder out loud whether his time at Woking and Dundee have deflated the lad?
And while we're here, surely he contributed to the Dundee failings, at least for an 11th part.

As he was their player of the year, the fans clearly thought it would have been worse without him.

We were talking about when either or whoever played in front of Ralph.

You said Hutchinson hadn’t offered Ralph the cover that McLaughlin had. I was merely demonstrating that Hutchinson hadn’t played in front of Ralph at all.

But thank you for proving my initial thoughts.

You said Hutchinson hadn’t offered Ralph the cover that McLaughlin had. I was merely demonstrating that Hutchinson hadn’t played in front of Ralph at all.

Will bow to your superior knowledge and genuinely impressed you knew this

Basing my views on other peoples opinions of course I'd say the whole team are pretty deflated anyway. A lot have been part of one of the least successful Southend sides in a calendar year and the likes of Ralph has been recruited from a struggling team.
Like I said previously we need a rethink on the transfer policy going forward and targeting players who have had success in League 1 and League 2 sides with a more positive mentality

A play on the word reward.....Good stuff.

Silly me, I forgot that so many of us fans suffer from Maher syndrome.......(Hate any new arrival until her has more than proved you wrong.) If you can find fault, then find it. Even if there is a positive, then bring up any previous games in which YOU think he never played well.

The last thing we want is a young player to come good and prove us wrong.

Picking on the wrong poster as usual.

You used the word 'reward'. I took you at your word (probably foolishly).

I particularly liked Kevin Maher in his first game at Burnley even though we lost 1-0.

Try answering the questions asked before obfuscating.

Back