• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nathan Ralph and Jack Bridge

CaptainSmudger

The Official Southend United Pilot⭐
Great news Nathan Ralph is nearing a full return from injury,
My question is How do we accommodate both in the same team?
Ralphy is Quality and Bridgey un droppable.
Over to you Kev,
COYB,UTB💙🛩

It's a nice problem to have. I guess there are three primary options:

1. Ralph plays left centre back (in place of Kensdale) and would probably be more adept at covering for Bridge's more limited defensive capabilities. He's a left-footer as well which must help.
  2. Ralph plays left wing back and Jack takes the attacking midfield role just behind the front two.
  3. We change formations to 4-4-2 and accommodate Ralph at LB and that would also allow us to bring Mooney in as a winger on the other side
On balance, I'd probably go for option 1, which is harsh on Kensdale, but it's probably only until Ralph gets injured again anyway!

It's a nice problem to have. I guess there are three primary options:

1. Ralph plays left centre back (in place of Kensdale) and would probably be more adept at covering for Bridge's more limited defensive capabilities. He's a left-footer as well which must help.
  2. Ralph plays left wing back and Jack takes the attacking midfield role just behind the front two.
  3. We change formations to 4-4-2 and accommodate Ralph at LB and that would also allow us to bring Mooney in as a winger on the other side
On balance, I'd probably go for option 1, which is harsh on Kensdale, but it's probably only until Ralph gets injured again anyway!

I think I like 2 now, 3 maybe for the future.

Given we are doing so well defensively and are scoring goals, can bridge come in for one of Fonguck or Taylor?

1668160646480.png

Subs
  • 4 Lomas
  • 8 Husin
  • 16 Taylor
  • 24 Demetriou
  • 19 Wreh
Cosgrave drops out. Waiting on Mooney, Hyde and Murph

Last edited:
I think you make Ralph earn his shirt back and rightly so. Bridge has been a brilliant asset with his attacking abilities down the left hand side and Kensdale has been part of one of the most successful back lines in recent memory. Dropping either from the team at present would be criminal IMO.

Very difficult one, but I think he will have to bide his time despite his quality. Bridge gives more going forward, Kensdale has been an ever present and is another player that improves with every game. No doubt Ralph will be needed at some point and I am sure whoever lets him back into the side, will then have to bide their time as well.

I would keep bridge.
He seems to bring a flair to that left wing.
He is a tricky player, and always gives me hope when he is on the ball attacking their defence.
But also Ralph us quality, but I would just about shade Bridge over Ralph.

I think the thread is a little premature.
Kev's quoted as saying Ralph is 'dipping in and out of training', and spending the 'out' getting more treatment etc.
I doubt the management team will rush him back with his checkered injury past.
I also thought/think a run of games where Ralph remains fit would be very welcome - but long on odds.

Last edited:

Given we are doing so well defensively and are scoring goals, can bridge come in for one of Fonguck or Taylor?

View attachment 23058

Subs
  • 4 Lomas
  • 8 Husin
  • 16 Taylor
  • 24 Demetriou
  • 19 Wreh
We were getting massively overrun in midfield when we had Miley in there on his own. I know you've put Fonguck there alongside, but that's never going to work. Notts aside, Taylor improved the solidity in midfield hugely. Two sitters with one driving forward has worked greatly.

Bridge has played in the hole before but he's not great there. He is far better wide where he can take people on and cross the ball. The problem being, we are better with two up front. 3-4-3 doesn't suit the majority of our players. Although we never had Cardwell's presence up top on his own in a 3 until now.

I agree that if Ralph is to play, it has to be LWB. I really don't get why a number of fans call for him to play LCB. Of course he can do a job there, but we played him there out of necessity because we were short of numbers. His best position is LWB or LB. Kensdale has been getting better and better each game and is part of an incredible back 3. Why anyone would want to change that is beyond me.

Was thinking about this other day aswell, I think it has to stay as is, a team in form, don't really think anyone deserves to be dropped, and moving bridge inside and behind the front 2 could really take away from what he's been doing so well lately, or now cardwell is on his way back go 1 up top with bridge and Powell outwide and Ralph at left wing back, pretty much the formation we had at the start, but I trust kev and sure will make the right call.

Have to keep bridge in.

Good to have ralph back, without injuries our squad has more depth then i can remember in a long time.

Last edited:
No matter what happens bridge has to stay in the squad, he's been in fantastic form! The lad really deserves this as well, he's had a very tough route to finally play in the first team and deserves all of the rewards.

View attachment 23058

Subs
  • 4 Lomas
  • 8 Husin
  • 16 Taylor
  • 24 Demetriou
  • 19 Wreh
I like that team a lot.
But 2 slight preferences:-
Collin is extremely promising but we must have rated Blondie, 2 years older,quite highly to have signed him and his only mistake has been when lining up his wall—Collin made 2 on Tuesday.
Kensdale is playing well and is cutting out his occasional lapses,but Lomas looked very secure and has a better left foot.

Ralph is too injury prone to change the set up of the team to accommodate him. He’s a really good player but the Manager just can’t rely on his availability week in week out.

For me he goes on the bench as the team is performing so well without him in it, if we could sell him then do so as we need the money.

Tough one as if 100% fit and always available then he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Bridge used in anything other than a proper LW role is a waste in my opinion. He isn't the same player.
I wasn’t moving Bridge in-field !
In Spences line-up,Bridge would be attacking down the left or down the right if that was more productive.

Back